.41 Temporary test build bug report thread

Started by rewbs, October 18, 2005, 22:41:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "grantek"
Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Here's one I bet no one could answer.

Has anyone got MPT working under Linux, with 2 soundcards? One integrated (which is the one MPT tries to use, but I dont use it), and one PCI that I want to use, but it doesnt register.

Now THAT's a tech support question!  :lol:
If you don't use any 2-card functionality, just disable the internal one in the BIOS.

I did disable it acutally. MPP works fine, and even with my internal sound card selected. I think it has something to do with the options I've set in MPT, so I'll goof off, and report what settings I used if I can get it to work. I know other people use is with Wine, so I should be able to as well
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

rewbs

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "rewbs"Relabsoluness, can you try CVS update again?
I think I'm in sync with the repository, but the web frontend is still not updating.

On my end, the download points to rev. 35
Yes, like I said the web frontend doesn't seem to be updating, which is why I asked Relabsoluness to try accessing the CVS repository directly. I tried myself just now and was able to pull down rev 1.17.02.36... So if the web front end isn't up to date by tomorrow I'll raise a problem with Sourceforge.

Quote from: "LPChip", and checkout is empty.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/modplug/ModplugCheckout/?
And what do you think that means? AFAIK ModplugCheckout is just a garbage directory I created when I was learning the CVS thing. Have you ever seen it not empty?

LPChip

Quote from: "rewbs"
I think I'm in sync with the repository, but the web frontend is still not updating.

On my end, the download points to rev. 35
Yes, like I said the web frontend doesn't seem to be updating, which is why I asked Relabsoluness to try accessing the CVS repository directly. I tried myself just now and was able to pull down rev 1.17.02.36... So if the web front end isn't up to date by tomorrow I'll raise a problem with Sourceforge.

Quote from: "LPChip", and checkout is empty.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/modplug/ModplugCheckout/?
And what do you think that means? AFAIK ModplugCheckout is just a garbage directory I created when I was learning the CVS thing. Have you ever seen it not empty?

LOL, You could also ask: Have you seen it before? :P

I remember from the history that url's used to contain *checkout*, so I though that this directory might be where new files came or so :P

Rewbs, can you perhaps upload the exe manually and link it for us? Or perhaps link to the CVS... I dunno how this works...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Still no new files seem to be there.

rewbs

CVS definitely contains version 1.17.02.36. I'm writing up a simple script to make the bleeding edge dev builds available more quickly and more presentably than via sourceforge's cvs web frontend, should be ready by the end of the week. Meanwhile they are available crudely here: http://modplug.sourceforge.net/builds/storage/bin/

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

values in the volume column don't seem to work right...
only with certain VSTi and on some only from 32 oder even 16 to 00
and as you said only in combination with a note

:cry:
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

rewbs

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"values in the volume column don't seem to work right...

What do you mean "don't seem to work right"? Are you saying there's a new problem with volume in this build? Also I can't do anything unless you give the names of the VSTis explicitly (you should know  that by now. ;) ).

Notes with a volume value in the pattern use the volume value to set the VSTi's note velocity This has been the case since pre open source days. Check your VSTi is configured to respond to velocity. If it can't respond to velocity, you're screwed.

The new "feature" is that volume values in the pattern without a corresponding note send volume MIDI CCs. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a VSTi that responds to this CC.

Next I will try to make volume commands affect the dry/wet ratio so you don't have to go through macros... but obviously the downside here is that it will be impossible to control volume for individual notes when playing a chord.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"values in the volume column don't seem to work right...

What do you mean "don't seem to work right"? Are you saying there's a new problem with volume in this build? Also I can't do anything unless you give the names of the VSTis explicitly (you should know  that by now. ;) ).

jupp, but i'm too lazy right now ;)

LPChip

Next I will try to make volume commands affect the dry/wet ratio so you don't have to go through macros... but obviously the downside here is that it will be impossible to control volume for individual notes when playing a chord.

Can't you create a new effect for that? eg: v64 controls volume, so w64 controls the dry/wet ratio. Perhaps you can do this with slide to volume aswell? (dxx)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

Can't you create a new effect for that? eg: v64 controls volume, so w64 controls the dry/wet ratio. Perhaps you can do this with slide to volume aswell? (dxx)

We can't easily add more effects to the vol column since we only have a byte to represent that slot... this can of course be improved, but for now my plan is to try to find a satisfactory way of controlling VSTi volume "like samples" (I was hoping to not have to fall back on wet/dry because of the issues with polyphony, but it seems like the best method for now).
I can confirm that when a method has been settled upon, volume slide effects will be adapted to use it, and we can think about introducing new effect letters to clarify the subtle differences between "types of volume control".

LPChip

Hmm, Can you try sending a midi note with different volume with a tone portamento? This is how most older midi programs do a volume change.

they send a note-on with volume, but in such way that the note itself isn't being triggered.

We could make mpt trigger it by not providing a note, but do provide the instrument number and volume:

C-4 01 v64
--- 01 v40
etc...

rewbs

Quote from: "LPChip"Hmm, Can you try sending a midi note with different volume with a tone portamento? This is how most older midi programs do a volume change.

they send a note-on with volume, but in such way that the note itself isn't being triggered.

Don't forget to distinguish volume and velocity when describing behaviour of MIDI apps, else I'm going to get confused. :) I think all occurences of volume in what you just said could be replaced with velocity, except "this is how most older midi programs do a volume change", right?

Are you suggesting you set the portamento time CC to min, set portamento on, issue a new note with a new velocity, and expect that to change the volume of the prior note? What if the device doesn't support portamento? I'd be very suprised if this works as you imagine, but I'd love to be wrong... Can you give me an example of a MIDI program which work like that? I'd like to try.

(The idea of changing the volume of an individual note during that note is a very tracker-esque thing; I just don't think it is possible in MIDI which models more realistic instrument behaviour.)

LPChip

Quote from: "LPChip"Hmm, Can you try sending a midi note with different volume with a tone portamento? This is how most older midi programs do a volume change.

Don't forget to distinguish volume and velocity when describing behaviour of MIDI apps, else I'm going to get confused. :) I think all occurences of volume in what you just said could be replaced with velocity, except "this is how most older midi programs do a volume change", right?

Are you suggesting you set the portamento time CC to min, set portamento on, issue a new note with a new velocity, and expect that to change the volume of the prior note? What if the device doesn't support portamento? I'd be very suprised if this works as you imagine, but I'd love to be wrong... Can you give me an example of a MIDI program which work like that? I'd like to try.

(The idea of changing the volume of an individual note during that note is a very tracker-esque thing; I just don't think it is possible in MIDI which models more realistic instrument behaviour.)

Back then, the program I used was Magix music studio deluxe. I used it to do this tracker-ish thing. :)

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

new bug:

"initial panning" of 256 on a channel (general tab) will cause mute on VSTi playing on that channel

(so far only tested with slayer2... sort of accident while tracking ;))

no effect on pentagon I & junoX2... hmm... maybe it's a bug in slayer2...

rncekel

To rewbs: changing the volume of a note while playing it is very often used in real instrument playing. Not, of course, in percuted ones (except in rolls, that do use it), but very often in wind instruments and in bowed strings.