New site, phrase 2

Started by LPChip, October 25, 2005, 18:03:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I make a new system from scratch or use an existing one?

New system, I can wait a bit more.
37 (71.2%)
Modify another system. Hurry!!!
15 (28.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: October 25, 2005, 18:03:23

LPChip

Quote from: "kneeoh"As I am a huge fan of downloading modules, I am eager to see the new database up and running. However, is it possible to have a temporary or "beta" database, where I can do my next to favorite activity (listening to what kind of music other people make).

But don't feel pressed. It's just a suggestion, if you have the rescourses for it.

You're doing a great job, laddie!

Kneeoh

Hmm... Perhaps thats not a bad idea.

I can create a forum (registered one) where you can post your music. It'll be a manual job to post music, but atleast we have something.

There are spam posts on here already so moving that isn't going to be the problem.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

me_mantis

hey... Its Me_Mantis from the old modplug site.
I regestered but never posted/ul'd anything.(I will eventually)

I know a guy who is making a revoltutionary forums system. I'm sure he'd love to test it out on a real site.

Right now he is searching for any feature anyone could ever want. He has found a way that can possibly increase to amount of people& hits that almost anyone will enjoy.

so, if you want to consider it, I will look here some time & if you are interested you can post.

rewbs

Quote from: "me_mantis"I know a guy who is making a revoltutionary forums system.
[...]
if you are interested you can post.
I'm very interested - is there more info about it available anywhere?

me_mantis(signing up now)

I asked the creator today, and he said that the site he was testing it on is "undisclosed."
Its based is php, and it is being created to be the coolest forums system ever.
If you've got any specific quesions, I can definatly ask him. I may be allowed to mention that instead of wasting page space with a colum of user avatar pics, and information, it will be avalible as an option, or will drop down from the username on hover.

rewbs

Quote from: "me_mantis(signing up now)"it is being created to be the coolest forums system ever. If you've got any specific quesions, I can definatly ask him.

Sounds exciting. :)
Hmm, I don't have any specific questions, other than what is going to make it the coolest forum system ever? :)

Anonymous

PPH

D'uh! Forgot to log in. Howdy, folks!
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "PPH"D'uh! Forgot to log in. Howdy, folks!
Hello Pepe!

You know, every real programmer takes part in at least one open source project.

me_mantis

Sounds exciting. :)
Hmm, I don't have any specific questions, other than what is going to make it the coolest forum system ever? :)[/quote]

Whatever you want =D
Unfortunatly DirectX effects don't work on Firefox, so that is no longer in the picture.
Its got some pretty cool icons, and a way that lets you include messages as a smiley tooltip.
<>< <>< <>< <><

LPChip

Quote from: "me_mantis"Sounds exciting. :)
Hmm, I don't have any specific questions, other than what is going to make it the coolest forum system ever? :)

Whatever you want =D
Unfortunatly DirectX effects don't work on Firefox, so that is no longer in the picture.
Its got some pretty cool icons, and a way that lets you include messages as a smiley tooltip.[/quote]

Why bother using DirectX effects? Just render to image, and use that instead. :) Using javascript::onMouseOver() and onMouseOut(), you can use 2 pictures to accomplish what you'd normally do with dx effects. I've recently saw how to apply gradient to a standard button using dx effects. Its neat, but indeed for IE only.

You could simply make a button, then take a screenshot of it, cut out so its just a single picture. (do the same for the hovered button) and use it as image instead. Works on all browsers. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cparker

Quote from: "LPChip"
I can make a new system from scratch that will be alot better than if I'd be altering an existing system. Are you willing to wait for that, and spend the remaining time here?

I voted yes! I can't wait to see the new face of MODPlug.

I think it would be neat to interface MODPlug Central somehow with Last.fm/Audioscrobbler.
Christopher Parker
http://cparker15.com

LPChip

Quote from: "cparker"
I think it would be neat to interface MODPlug Central somehow with Last.fm/Audioscrobbler.

Why would we want to do that?

rewbs

If the new site is going to take a while before it's useable, perhaps we could disable pruning on this forum? It's a shame to keep losing posts if this is going to be a medium-term resource.

Edit: ignore me.. I thought posts were disapearing when in fact they've just been moved to the free music forum. :D

LPChip

Quote from: "rewbs"If the new site is going to take a while before it's useable, perhaps we could disable pruning on this forum? It's a shame to keep losing posts if this is going to be a medium-term resource.

Edit: ignore me.. I thought posts were disapearing when in fact they've just been moved to the free music forum. :D

LOL.

Pruning works like this:

If a topic isn't being posted in for more than x days (I believe I've set it to a high number) then it will be deleted. If a topic is a sticky, it remains.

When a topic is being pruned, someone's postcount that is in that topic will remain the same.

me_mantis

Quote from: "LPChip

Why bother using DirectX effects? Just render to image, and use that instead. :) Using javascript::onMouseOver() and onMouseOut(), you can use 2 pictures to accomplish what you'd normally do with dx effects. I've recently saw how to apply gradient to a standard button using dx effects. Its neat, but indeed for IE only.

You could simply make a button, then take a screenshot of it, cut out so its just a single picture. (do the same for the hovered button) and use it as image instead. Works on all browsers. :)[/quote

good thought...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/samples/author/dhtml/overview/filt_17.htm

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/samples/author/dhtml/DXTidemo/DXTidemo.htm

This page has a ton of cool stuff that would be fun to have.

Another idea that is floating around is: theme songs. Everyone likes mod songs around here, so why not let every user have a song they created as their theme play when you mouse over their avitar?

I remember somthing about a "mod plugin" for IE, and am wondering if that could be a possibility.

MIDI songs on "profile" pages might work, but you can't dynamically start & stop them.
<>< <>< <>< <><