New site, phrase 2

Started by LPChip, October 25, 2005, 18:03:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I make a new system from scratch or use an existing one?

New system, I can wait a bit more.
37 (71.2%)
Modify another system. Hurry!!!
15 (28.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: October 25, 2005, 18:03:23

Anonymous

Hmmm, modules playing when pointing avatar? Would work    :)

And what about having the avatars show the name of the mod when pointed for a longer time?

Oh, and hi again mantis! We crash onto each other everywhere.

kazone

Hello. I voted also for the first choise.

The idea of combining audioscrobbler with this site sounds actually interesting, even more, than all these hover/whatever postings. It would be interesting to see, what the rest of the users listen to in their free time, to see their influences and all. So when you go to users profile (who uses last.fm), you can see maybe the last five songs or something. It's easy actually. See the working example.

Secondary i am getting tired of all those sites, that reload the entire page on every post, link, refresh etc. Is it possible to use somekind of frame'ing or javascript abilities?

(I also got a friend, who is really good at this php/java/css junk.)

Squirrel Havoc

Just keep in mind the 56k users. Only load sounds on demands, not all when the page loads.
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Snu

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Just keep in mind the 56k users. Only load sounds on demands, not all when the page loads.
yes! i hate those.
stupid dialup.
i also dont like pages that auto play music for another reason: im usually listening to winamp, which means two songs start playing at once, and gets really annoying.

LPChip

Quote from: "Anonymous"
Quote from: "LPChip"Although the decision is not yet final, I will start creating the beginnings for the new site.

ROFL that has got to be some of the funnies stuff ever!!

I've deleted the rest, but this one I'll let it remain here.

For those of you who wonder what these posts are, this is a new bot spamming around on phpBB forums. It tries to read some of the content of earlier posts, and uses a database with responses. The IP has been banned.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

Uh, what is it spamming? I don't remember seeing a url/phone number/whatever in the post. Heh i thought it was some jerk who was making fun of you just now starting to work :)
-

LPChip

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Uh, what is it spamming? I don't remember seeing a url/phone number/whatever in the post. Heh i thought it was some jerk who was making fun of you just now starting to work :)

I think it was testing his system. I've had the same user spamming under another name (registered one) on my clansite. It had spam in its signature. Its odd that this bot didn't registered before, cus without registration, you can't add a signature. Then again, on my clansite, registration is required.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "LPChip"...on my clansite...

Clan? What game does the clan play?
-

LPChip

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"
Quote from: "LPChip"...on my clansite...

Clan? What game does the clan play?

Call of Duty 2. ( www.dsd.codclan.nl or just codclan.nl :P)

me__mantis

The guy making the new forum thing has dialup. The forum may have a dialup friendly option that limits the pag size by clipping out sigs/pics/attachments.

i think that having a midi playbar in the profile would work, and be the most dialup  friendly.

Is there a mod playing plugin for IE?

me_mantis

lol I forgot to login...
Anyways, I have saw a sneek peak of the forum last night, and its got transperancy/effects for IE and that ff thing.
<>< <>< <>< <><

aleksanteri

Nope. I haven't seen such one yet. Maybe there is one, but, I haven't seen one yet.
Aleksanteri
[color=red]
Tracking Forums
Module Database[/color]

Faceted

I'm new.

If I read this right, you aren't going to use any existing bulletin board software but are going to do a complete write from scratch?  And you are considering if you want to do that or if you want to modify an existing bulletin board software--is this correct?

Are you the one who wrote the modplug software, Olivier Lapicque, or are you someone else?

Also, if I read this right, this means I will need to re-register at some point in the future?

If I'm right, I say do whatever you want to do.  If you think you can write better software than what is out there or if you want to do it for improved security, then go for it!  If you don't want the hassle of completely doing this from scratch, then use an existing bulletin board software, but I do understand your hassle with security issues relating to open-sourced bulletin board software (the constant patching) and the price constraints with others.

Well, I don't know if this is any help or not, but would it be a good idea to write an input verifier module in PHP and then only make a small change in existing forum software code to call into this module, and from there, only have to change the way you call into the module, localizing the validation all in one place, and just changing a very minor amount of code for updates/etc if need be in the official bulletin board software?

What I mean is a module which will make sure input is not malicious before passing it through.  Something which strips off executable tokens, for example, removes Javascript from HTML or similar or removes malformed input attempts.  Done right, something like this should be able to take care of most of the exploits, right?   ---because it would strip off questionable input from the input before passing it on to potentially vulnerable internal bulletin board code.

LPChip

Quote from: "Faceted"I'm new.

If I read this right, you aren't going to use any existing bulletin board software but are going to do a complete write from scratch?  And you are considering if you want to do that or if you want to modify an existing bulletin board software--is this correct?

Are you the one who wrote the modplug software, Olivier Lapicque, or are you someone else?

Also, if I read this right, this means I will need to re-register at some point in the future?

If I'm right, I say do whatever you want to do.  If you think you can write better software than what is out there or if you want to do it for improved security, then go for it!  If you don't want the hassle of completely doing this from scratch, then use an existing bulletin board software, but I do understand your hassle with security issues relating to open-sourced bulletin board software (the constant patching) and the price constraints with others.

Well, I don't know if this is any help or not, but would it be a good idea to write an input verifier module in PHP and then only make a small change in existing forum software code to call into this module, and from there, only have to change the way you call into the module, localizing the validation all in one place, and just changing a very minor amount of code for updates/etc if need be in the official bulletin board software?

What I mean is a module which will make sure input is not malicious before passing it through.  Something which strips off executable tokens, for example, removes Javascript from HTML or similar or removes malformed input attempts.  Done right, something like this should be able to take care of most of the exploits, right?   ---because it would strip off questionable input from the input before passing it on to potentially vulnerable internal bulletin board code.

You're right. I've already made the decision to make a new system, and am willing to go through the hasstle. Im not responsible for the previous code nor the program, but I have alot of experience with php coding and this is a project I've wanted to do for a long time now. Security is indeed a big issue that will be taken into concidderation. I will write my own functions that are more secure to do tasks like input validation, sql fetching and other precautions.

Squirrel Havoc

I was going through some older bookmarks of mine, deleteing old MPC related ones that are no longer valid, and I came across the random title generator link. Of course, the link doesn't work, but it got me thinking that I would like to see it, or something similar, in the new MPC site.
-