New site, phrase 2

Started by LPChip, October 25, 2005, 18:03:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I make a new system from scratch or use an existing one?

New system, I can wait a bit more.
37 (71.2%)
Modify another system. Hurry!!!
15 (28.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: October 25, 2005, 18:03:23

LPChip

As im still finding out what system to build on, I'd like to do a little poll, to see what you all think about it.

The question is simple.

I can make a new system from scratch that will be alot better than if I'd be altering an existing system. Are you willing to wait for that, and spend the remaining time here?

Yes = new system
No = modify another
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

DavidN

I think you're already doing a mammoth task restoring a site of the scope of Modplug, and I'm prepared to wait until it's as good as possible rather than make it a rush job to get it back up.

The best of luck to you!

rewbs

I chose base the site on an existing system.. not for time reasons, but simply because there's so many mature, high quality existing CMS/forum solutions out there that I have trouble seeing what would be to gain from rewriting one single-handedly.

So my real vote would be: base the site on existing sound, solid technology, and take all the time you need to learn how to use it and shape it for modplug.com.

Squirrel Havoc

I voted take your time. Other systems may be good, but I am quite confident in your abilities in making one from scratch
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Snu

i agree with rewbs that modifying and old system could work just fine, but certainly if you want to write a new one, ill support that and wait as long as it takes. basically, im saying that im not picky as long as it turns out good!
so, i voted choice 1.

speed-goddamn-focus

In the absence of "use an open source CMS with only the most necessary changes", my vote is for "modify another system".

Rakib

patience is something that i dont have so much of, but for MPT i'll wait.
^^

LPChip

Quote from: "Rakib"patience is something that i dont have so much of, but for MPT i'll wait.

hehe thanks :)

To explain my reasoning... I've carefully looked around the systems that exist, and the few systems that seems suitable either have one of the following two problems; It either costs money to buy it or the system is so popular that updates are necessary to prevent hackers from accessing the site.

Why is the last so bad? It disallows me to implemet hacks/mods that may necessary, as each update would require me to do these hacks again.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

JimGin

I voted for the new system too, your hands are free dude :D
atleast from my point of view :wink:

edit: atleast when u do it form scratch, you probably have better control over it aswell. 8)
Rob Hubbard rulez!
"If LPChip didn`t exist, neither would I"

LPChip

So far its a 2 to 1 ratio to go for a new system. Although the decision is not yet final, I will start creating the beginnings for the new site.

rewbs

Quote from: "LPChip"I will start creating the beginnings for the new site.
How about making it open source?

LPChip

Quote from: "rewbs"
Quote from: "LPChip"I will start creating the beginnings for the new site.
How about making it open source?

You know what the problem with open source is?

People have access to the source, and that include hackers.

I don't mind giving people that are willing to help access to the site using ftp so they can help, but I don't like the idea of distributing the code. Its especially this reason why phpBB among others are being hacked so often. They are poplair and their sourcecode can be viewed.

rewbs

Quote from: "LPChip"You know what the problem with open source is?
People have access to the source, and that include hackers.
I don't mind giving people that are willing to help access to the site using ftp so they can help, but I don't like the idea of distributing the code.

Ah yes.. so modplug.com will use the good ol' security through obscurity... :P ;)

stan44

i dont care ether way as long as it works o.o
ill prob like new or modifide..

soo i just wait........ :shock:

kneeoh

As I am a huge fan of downloading modules, I am eager to see the new database up and running. However, is it possible to have a temporary or "beta" database, where I can do my next to favorite activity (listening to what kind of music other people make).

But don't feel pressed. It's just a suggestion, if you have the rescourses for it.

You're doing a great job, laddie!

Kneeoh
There is no spoon!