[Compo:R]The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2009

Started by LPChip, April 25, 2009, 11:42:17

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I don't remember either.

I only know how the song goes in its entirelly cus I listened to the song like 100 times.

I know its a demo (intro) on the C64, and the scrolltext mentioned something like tune 6. I dunno which subtune for which game it was, but I might be able to ask about this at c64audio.com. If anyone knows, they do. :)

I can edit your song and add the missing lead to give you an idea. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

machinesmith

You sound pretty sure of this!  I dont know anyone on c64audio so ask away, You may put a 15 year old question finally to rest! Also By all means go ahead and edit! (Out of curiousity will you be using the same sample limitation for the lead?  :wink:

LPChip

Quote from: "machinesmith"You sound pretty sure of this!  I dont know anyone on c64audio so ask away, You may put a 15 year old question finally to rest! Also By all means go ahead and edit! (Out of curiousity will you be using the same sample limitation for the lead?  :wink:

No. I will strictly ajust the song to make it sound like the original, since it already sounds very very close to it. But I'm actually thinking in going through my old demo collection. I still have it somewhere, and then record that to an mp3 and share that instead. ;)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

machinesmith

Quote from: "LPChip"...since it already sounds very very close to it.

Now I'm flattered AND a little bummed at the same time! I'm glad that I was able to recreate the tune however With over 15 years to go over the 15 seconds you'd think my memory would've placed enough embellishments to have warped this tune into a creation of my own while paying some sort of distant homage to the original tune I heard.

From what I understand I've done so good a job, that this may be border line rip! (Which is NOT cool)

Anyway as psishock mentioned elsewhere on this thread...`anxiously pressing F5' to bring closure to the matter

Sam_Zen

Need also the time to deliver a vote.

I agree with LP. No sub-second prolongation of this compo with new remixes. Contributions are as they are.
One can't demand on the olympic games a re-run of the 100 meter, because the performance would have been maybe better.

A remix could be made, but then as such published on the free download section. As a thing on its own.

Saga Musix

...But there can be a second olympic games, with the same people doing the 100 meters.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

machinesmith

out of curiousity how do each of you vote? Individually vote styles is what Im asking, for example I did one run of the songs and got a feel , left for about an hour came back gave a 2nd run to all tunes and ran with what instinct dictated (wasnt at all differet from my first gut reaction) and submitted.

(yes I'm also asking becuse its taking a long ass time to get it done!)

Saga Musix

never vote like others do. try your own voting style. if you vote just like somebody else, you could simply cancel the voting.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

g

I listen to all the songs, and make a quick list of how I rank them. Then I listen to the ones next to each other in ranking after each other and move the songs around until I think I've made the right call. Which isn't yet btw.

Sam_Zen

Method : to compare things pure as they are, all settings are flat. No player effects, no EQ enabled.
Sometimes switching playback between the old MPP, OMPT .53 and XMPlay, checking differences.

I did had some trouble playing the track of Psi. OMPT started stuttering, XMPlay crashed at several positions.
But I still have to check the source of this behaviour. A buffer thing maybe.

Voted.

psishock

Sam, and everyone who has trouble with real time play, or got weaker cpu, i recommend that you guys render the song out to wav or mp3, but only use OMPT with plugin support to play, because it's really heavy dependent on the included dx effects. Without the support, it doesn't even sound close, to what it meant to be, the mood, that i've tried to create will be ruined.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Thanks Psi, I will do the conversion.

Maybe this is also a pure way as comparison, listen to the wavs rendered by OMPT.

psishock

Sure thing Sam, i'm glad that i could help.
I was rendering most of the tunes out in the old days, because i just couldn't play them with my weak system, and i wanted to hear them in their full beauty. But, since i have one of the most powerful CPU in the music production community, i am easily ready to listen nowdays everything in real time. Its a real fortune when it comes to producing. (it's kinda a must, if you want to keep everything in unrendered form, and have a huge bunch of instruments/effects)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

machinesmith

whoa...that solution was head smackingly obvious, yet I totally missed it! Thanks for idea Psi! I had the same problem as Sam_Zen except my solution was waay different - I increased the buffers all the way to 200ms, mixing quality to 16000 Hz mono 8bit, and Max polyphony to 256 (well its says 400Mhz+ and I have a 500Mhz so...).

End Result? Professionally made Amiga MOD files (back when the st- instrument packs were the only thing available)!

I too used XMplay to listen to the songs but quickly realised it doesnt do the tunes justice (especially surprising was the difference between XMplays rendition of Barry's song versus OpenMPT)

It seems that g's way of voting may be the method of choice you guys are using - not that it will effect the way I vote (hah made ref. to Jojo's post too in this sentence, I'm so uber...) but the amount of time its taking to get teh votes done seems thats there definitely a lot of `closing eyes and listening to tune' or `playing tune in background while at work' moments!

Doesnt listening to a tune over and over make it more tough to vote? I mean in my case listening just the second time had me gurgling over each tune ... "ooh that bits nice!" , "whoa! how'd he do that!" and of course "whut? 127 channels?! ...the hell?!?" Had I heard them a 3rd time I'm sure all the songs would've been drawn, so I just listened to each song as a whole and noted which pleased my ear the most...thats just me of course.

What about the others? Do they have a different vote stylee than those already mentioned?

bvanoudtshoorn

Personally, I listened to the first few patterns of each track, to get a feel. Then, I listened to each piece through, making notes as I did, and ordering the tracks at the same time. Another couple of listens for each track to confirm my suspicions, and I was done. :)

The reason I try and vote quickly is because, as machinesmith points out, you can get caught up on the trivialities. To me, the immediate reaction to a track is, to a large extent, what defines the track for me.