[Compo:R]The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2009

Started by LPChip, April 25, 2009, 11:42:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

If something is an "openMPT compo", you shouldn't use anything but OpenMPT to listen to the songs. You all should know that there are some extensions that can only be interpreted by OpenMPT at the moment.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

Quote from: "machinesmith"whut? 127 channels?! ...the hell?!?
haha, it does not use all of them only about 65-70max (and who knows how many with virtual ones, possibly hitting the 256 border), i didn't had enough time to do a proper cleanup as i've mentioned before. When working, i feel more comfortable to have room for everything and do the cleaning stuff after (sometimes, i don't even clean). 127 is comfortable enough, i had trouble with 64 example. I'm always dumping about 60% of the patterns and the instruments in the end, because i am trying out every crazy stuff that comes to my mind, and arranging the song from the gathered chaos after. What couldn't fit in the song, will become completely dumped, or possibly left over for the future projects.

About "setting polyphony to 256", well this one won't get you better performance, but worse, since "polyphony" sets the maximum allowed (virtual)channels in the tracker. If you decrease this number, you will get the wanted result (cpu will get more air), but you can easy end up not hearing half of the tune.

My voting style, listening to every song completely in a row and counting the various impressions that they gave me. The more it impressed me, the higher place will it get. The whole process is over within an hour, however, i can(and am) listen(ing) to the ones that i really like, long after the compo is over, because of the catchy melodies or technology.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

I listen to the songs one by one, and decide if I like it more or less than the ones I currently judged. (Like sorting the list)

Once I listened to everything, I listen my top list from top to bottom to see if its valid. If not, I make changes, and repeat the process.

If I got a good list that I agree upon from top to bottom, I wait a bit, and then listen from bottom to top, expecting to listen to a better song each time.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

First impression is a main thing. But like in this contest I may prefer a second or more opinion of myself.

It has the risk of making things more complicated. But not much. Sure things can have overlooked qualities, so go up.
Some things would go a bit down due to some evident sloppiness.

But things made with skill also can improve in the ranking due to a second listen, by discovered little details.
And details are not the same as trivialities. Trivialities distract, without meaning, while details are essential parts of the expression.
Maybe even having the hidden message.

LPChip

To MachineSmith,

In 1996, I tried making a song that sounded like this one. I obviously wasn't as good as I am now, and just couldn't make it that well, so its a rough translation of what I could make of the song.

http://files.lpchip.com/temp/C64S%a0T6.zip

You can hear the lead in this song though. I'll keep looking for the original, cus I should still have it somewhere!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

I'm only waiting for G's votes btw. Once he PM's them to me, I can announce who wins and do a graphical representation and so on. :)

g

machinesmith

oooWhaatt! I leave the forums for a bit of `something else' and it gets populated with messages!
Well far be it from me to procrastinate further:

@Jojo - You're right we shouldn't use anything else apart from OpenMPT to listen but I was clutching straws here! Just to get it out in the open: I'm running an AMD K6II ~500Mhz w/Win98 and 64MB RAM, so almost all the compo tunes had my CPU committing seppuku, this of course was before psishock's amazingly simple solution. That brings me nicely to...

@psishock - Have you considered working with Kaskade? I saw an interview of his in which he claimed to use over a 100 channels just for a `spacey sound' (and his tunes are STILL boring. Maybe you can give him a few pointers!)

Also LOL @
Quote...I'm always dumping about 60% of the patterns and the instruments in the end, because i am trying out every crazy stuff that comes to my mind, and arranging the song from the gathered chaos after. What couldn't fit in the song, will become completely dumped, or possibly left over for the future projects.
I do the EXACT same thing! (Even for this compo I scrapped 70 patterns, in this particular case however, ~30 patterns were junk while the other 30+ were usable but I didn't think people would wait to hear a medieval version of the tune. Besides, how could this be classified oldskool if it were a finished product - the whole demo party feel would be lost! Nevertheless, it was nice to see I'm not the only one who does that (even if they are using 8 times more channels than I ever would!)  

@LPchip - :-O Good Lord! Its almost the same! Guess you're right then! Could you do me a favor? If/When you find the original authors name could you update the text file and change `unknown' to ...er...<whatisname> ?

@all - Guess I stand corrected! Everyone seems to have their own vibe to voting. Personally, I think LPchip has the most hardcore-est (i.e. tedious yet thorough) style, with Sam_zen a close second. And yes I asked because I'm secretly going to hold a competition on who has the best voting style...

@g - take your time now dude *twiddles thumbs anxiously*

g

Done. Comments are on the short side, but I too am curious about the results.  :wink:

LPChip

Quote from: "g"Done. Comments are on the short side, but I too am curious about the results.  :wink:

I'm about to post the results! :D Keep yer finger on tha F5 button! :D

psishock

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

And the results are in!!!!

Go here to see them: http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?msg=24206.0#msg24206

Are people in for another round?

If so, I'd suggest to change the following rules:

No DX plugins, only the 2 samples and infinitive instruments with whatever setting you can think of. Judging still takes in OpenMPT, and a timelimit of 3,5 minutes (3:30 max)

If so, let me know, and I'll post a deadline. :)

Rakib

It was a very close race from 6-2 place. But congratulation LP, you were the worthy winner here.
^^

LPChip

g

Congratulations LP! And thanks to everyone for their kind comments. The graphical scale is wrong btw, unless someone voted twice for me (which is totally OK ;))