Are you spiritual?

Started by LPChip, August 22, 2008, 15:34:41

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Let me first start this post with the fact that I'm a spiritual person myself.

With spiritualism, I mean the quest to learn about ones self and why someone is on this earth this time of life. Due to that I understand alot more than most people.

I noticed that alot of spiritual people are also into music, so I'm turning the image around to see how much people that are into music, are also into spiritualality.

This action was actually triggered slightly before I made this song: http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2467.0

I had a chat with someone I know from CTGMusic, but hadn't had in my list until recently. After we chatted about 2012, I got inspired with making that song, and Sam_Zen's comment triggered the final confirmation that I had to make this topic.

It seems that I've come in touch with alot of spiritual people latelly, and thats no coincidence. I see alot of spiritual people around me, also those who have it in them, but are affraid to come forward with it. If you are affraid to do that, then its best to not lie about it, but just keep silence. You can always PM me and tell me in person.

I hope to get to know more spiritual people this way and have some talks about what lies ahead. The spiritual puzzle is starting to get in shape, but we're seem to miss some pieces.

And if indeed there are as much spiritual people as I think there are, we might have some great subject to discuss here too.

Well, long story short:

I'm spiritual. Are you too?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

yes.

QuoteIf you are affraid to do that, then its best to not lie about it, but just keep silence

I don't know, why would someone lie or denie things about his personality or any stuffs when talking to any person. (only maybe if someone gives you a very heavy reason to lie)

I found out a (more or less) common thing amongs artits that they used to "think" alike. Those who really do, naturally pulls near and influences  (sometimes subconsciously) each other. That is, of course, far from a "bad thing" in my option. :)

Listened to your piano composition, and found to like the progression and the melody of it =). I've used to make songs with "piano leads", sometimes with slower 80-90bmp, lie back in my chair and think about "overall life and other things" while i'm enjoying listening to them. =)

Here is, one of my latest, "far-from-finished" work, rendered it because i got inspired by your post, to work some more on it these days:

http://www.speedyshare.com/373722276.html

You know allready from my previous demo posts, that i'm a very technological and also melodic when it comes to expressing myself, so expect nothing less =). Sometimes doing it slow is a right thing to do.

Allways nice to c good minded people. :wink:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

The difficulty with this subject is the interpretation of the term.
I fancy 'spirit', but I don't trust 'spiritualism'.
I agree about artists being more busy with the spiritual aspects of life than the average Joe.
It's just a natural part of the composing process.
I'm glad psishock mentions this :
Quotei'm a very technological and also melodic when it comes to expressing myself
Tech compositions are just added to the range of possible audio compositions with electronics.
The tech properties can perform a story as well. As an expression.
But it's getting OT.

psishock

I think LPChip explained, what did he meaned for the term 'spiritualism'. I know that it can have a lot different and other meanings starting from strange religions and whatsoever, but if he askes me, am i interested to "learn about ones self and why someone is on this earth this time of life" type of questions, the answer is sure, i was wondering too about a lot of similar questions in my life many times.

As for technology:
In my option, it is one of the most essential thing besides the creativity. Without it you cannot have full control of the sound. It's different ofcourse with orcerstra or similar type of music since the musical instrument are already given, you "just" have to call out the melodies from them. But in electronics you are "building" even your instruments from zero and that gives you a whole new level of freedom. (many ppl are using pregenerater presets or samples, but i allways highly prefer self-generated ones, dislike the idea of using any "not original" work)

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, I'm Christian. As some people have pointed out, though, I'm not comfortable with the term "spiritualist" or whatever, because it has connotations of new-age religions. But I'm religious, yes.

psishock

I really don't follow any religion (or the most practicular rules of the life :D), these stuffs are most often unacceptable and pointless for me, but i stongly belieave example in the pontential of the human ego.

Sam_Zen

The distinction between a personal spiritual model an and a believe in a commonly accepted religious model is a big one.
And it should have the freedom to question the 'thruths' that are represented.

Dictator

"Spirituality, in a narrow sense, concerns itself with matters of the spirit, a concept closely tied to religious belief and faith, a transcendent reality, or one or more deities. Spiritual matters are thus those matters regarding humankind's ultimate nature and purpose, not only as material biological organisms, but as beings with a unique relationship to that which is perceived to be beyond both time and the material world." - Wikipedia

So, according to this explanation, I'm not spiritual. I have thought about it a lot, but I always come to a conclusion that any kind of world doesn't exist above this "mortal realm". I'm not religious either and mostly think of myself as a follower of the philosophy of agnosticism.

If thinking this from LPChip's viewpoint (the quest to learn about ones self and why someone is on this earth this time of life), it is a more difficult question, as this explanation is much broader than the Wikipedia one. I know quite a bit about myself from analytical psychology aspect (i.e. about my personality). On the other hand, I don't think these properties come from a soul or a spirit: I think they come from genes. Nor do I think it's my soul or spirit that is the being that actually thinks and orders the body around. When I die, the brain stops working and that's it: only an empty corpse and memories in other's minds left.

In short, I find myself thinking of these matters but always end up in the same conclusion: our lifes here don't continue beyond our death. And when talking about 2012 and other things like that, I totally refuse them as I find it absurd to have one's destiny based on positions of planets or stars.

älskling

Quote from: "LPChip"Let me first start this post with the fact that I'm a spiritual person myself.

With spiritualism, I mean the quest to learn about ones self and why someone is on this earth this time of life. Due to that I understand alot more than most people.
I'm not sure whether I misunderstand you completely or that last sentence (in the quote) is pompously self righteous, but I hope it's the former.

Quote from: "LPChip"I'm spiritual. Are you too?
I thought a little about that, and the answer is a clear no. I'm not religious in any way, I don't believe in fate or that we're here for a reason. Anyway, I know you're not after a debate on spiritualism but rather a discussion on things you find spiritual, so I'll stop here.

psishock

Lol, after all these comments i feel rather confused about some terms listed here, and what exactly LPChip wanted in the end to talk about or do here. I think the best is waiting for him, i'm sure he will make it more clear for once, what did he have in mind. =)

LPChip

Well, I noticed that most spiritual people are also into music and other creative stuff. I hoped it would be a reverse too. That the people that are into music, are also spiritual. Thats why I made this topic, just to see how it goes.

But as I see it now, most of the people here aren't into spirituality like I am. Which is okay ofcource.

If there are people here that are into spirituality (a few are) feel free to send me a PM so we can chat about it some time.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

Where have I been, LPChip? You chatted until 2012? Wow! :lol: See? I can be humorous! As for spiritual, I would have to say that I would probably be considered full of spirit. I am happy most of the time and extremely energetic at times. Here are a few samplings of me. The recording is probably not the best quality, as it was done with a Palm device (in particular, the Zire 72). And, just in case you were wondering, you should find an extremely familiar name in one of them! I believe that I only put it in one of them though. If you would like to hear the voice, I can send you some songs that contain that as well :lol:.
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1017050/Alienware---Taste---Weird-.WAV.html
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1024767/Weird-.WAV.html
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1024769/Odd-.WAV.html
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1024770/Wodd-.WAV.html
Here are some samplings of the voice in action (It sounds quite nice!)
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1062643/10_Seconds_I_Can_Do_16-.it.html
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1062601/Daisy_Enters_the_World_of_Bookworm_Part_Classic.it.html
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1062640/Daisy_Enters_the_World_of_Chex_Quest_Part_Sewer_System.it.html
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1062652/Daisy_Enters_the_World_of_One_Must_Fall_Part_Danger_Room.it.html
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1062705/Daisy_Enters_the_World_of_Yahtzee_Part_Battle.it.html
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1062717/Daisy_Meets_Microsoft--s_Narrators.mptm.html
http://www.file-upload.net/en/download-1062383/I_Love_Princess_Daisy-_2.it.html
If the part at the top of the post does not humor you, these might.
Attempt #1:
D:  Dazzlemazing (See? I am not the only person that does that! :lol:)
A:  Admirable
I:  [He then combines her voice with Insanely Weird!] Insanely_Good_Looking (Some would say beautiful (In fact, I will have to admit that I have used this description before.), some would say cute, but, at the moment, I am saying insanely good looking.)
S:  Strongly attractive (I guess that would be a Strong Good. I would certainly not consider that a Strong Bad :lol:!)
Y:  As Homestar says, the Y (although in his case it is a Z.) is too hard, so I think that I will take a pass on this one. (See the Love Poems e-mail.)
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail195.html
Attempt #2:
Here is something for you to ponder!

Do you know what would be weird?

Using a Windows based keyboard on a Macintosh run computer and it exploding because you used a key that Mac OS does not like (such as Insert, the num pad's secondary functions (End, ↓, Page Down, ←, →...), or Print Screen. The sequence may be like this.
You:    I would like to save a copy of that please, Print Screen
Mac OS:         Print Screen? What is that? Ssssssss (smoke coming out the top of the computer)
Mac OS:         Kaboom! (the Mac exploding)
You:    One down, two to go!
You:    I would like to go home. Oh, crap, my Home key is broken. OK, let's turn Num Lock off here...There we go! 7 (Home)
Mac OS:         Home on the num pad? I have no such thing! I will return you home! (The Mac explodes and sends you flying to your house and you wake up the next day as though you were just sedated at the doctor's office.)
You:    What the crap just happened? Oh, my Mac exploded! Oh, crap! Oh, well! Two down, one to go!
, or
You:    I would like to insert this picture into this document. Do not fear, Insert is here! (You press the Insert key to paste the picture.)
Mac OS:         What the crap? I have a key called Help, not Insert, thank you! That is what Apple-V and the mouse are for!
You:    Well, Mac OS, learn to deal with my Insert, OK?
Mac OS:         Fine, then, I will insert that picture for you! (Waterfall sound)
Mac OS:         There, inserted! Are you happy now?
You:    No! You just peed my carpet! You malevolent computer! You should have just accepted my Insert and you would not have died! Oh, well, one down, zero to go!

Or the reverse

You:    I would like to open my Start menu, please. (You press the Apple key, thinking that your Start menu will open because your keyboard lacks a Windows key.)
Windows:      Apple? What kind of key is that? (Windows closes all of your open programs.)
You:    What was that for? I will now confiscate your C: partition to shut you down! (You format the C drive, Windows responds, and you are not pleased. Here is Windows' response.)
Windows:      What was THAT for? As a result of that, here you go! (Windows gives you the Blue Screen of Death.)
You:    Geez, Windows, you did not have to give me the Blue Screen of Death!
Windows:      You, however, did not have to format the C: partition either!
You:    I see, I will put an end to this now! (You open the computer's case and scratch your hard drive with a thorny plant and it explodes. Your computer happens to be right next to the hard drive, so it also explodes. You get sent flying into outer smacintosh.) (Smacintosh = space + Macintosh)
You:    One down, four to go!
You:    I need some help on how to use this program! (You press the Help key because you are afraid of what might happen if you press F1.)
Windows:      Help? I have never seen a key like that before. I have reserved the F1 key for help and where you have the Help key (whatever that is), I have an Insert key on my keyboards!
You:    Oh, thank you for the F1 tip, Windows! (You accidentally press Alt-F4, then Enter and your computer shuts down!)
You:    Ugh! I pressed F1, just like Windows said, but my computer shut down! I did not know that Windows was a liar!
Windows:      I was not born to lie (that I am aware of anyway). The reason that your F1 key did what it did is because you did not press F1, you pressed Alt-F4, which I have reserved for exiting programs (including myself!)
You:    I did not press any Alt-anythings! I pressed F1!!!!!!
Windows:      I am sorry, but I do not provide the help dialogue when Alt-F4 is pressed!
You:    Fine, then, here is ALT-EXPLODE! (You pull the pin on a hand grenade and place it inside the computer. You forget to leave the room, hold the Alt key down on your keyboard, the grenade explodes, and you are sent to outer swindows.) (Swindows = space + Windows)
You:    Two down, three to go!
You:    I need a Euro sign in this Word document here. Let's see here, Option-E, there we go that should have worked. Waa, it didn't! Ugh! Maybe the computer just did not respond! Option...(You receive the Blue Screen of Death.) Holy crap! All I did was press Option-E!
Windows:      Option? On a keyboard? You have never used me, have you?
You:    For your information, Windows, yes I have!
Windows:      You sure do not act like you have used me before! I bet that the reason that you pressed Option is because you are Windows illiterate and a communist fool!
You:    I am no fool, Windows! I will prove it right now! (You hack into the BIOS and mess everything up.)
Windows:      Ha-ha! Apparently, you are a fool because you just changed the boot sequence so that I boot from a non-existing floppy first!
You:    I will show you a fool, Windows! (You press F12 hoping that you can make Windows shut down.)
You:    Hey, Windows! How come you did not shut down just then?
Windows:      You pressed F12, my friend. I do not shut down by you pressing F12, you can use Control-Alt-Delete to do that if I am not behaving the way you want me to.
You:    OK, I will try that, malevolent Windows. (You accidently highlight one of your programs and permanently delete it by pressing Shift-Delete.)
You:    Windows lied again! Stupid Windows!
Windows:      I did not lie; you pressed Shift-Delete, not Control-Alt-Delete. I prefer the term false advertiser, not malevolent.
You:    Ugh! Here is CONTROL-ALT-SHIFT-EXPLODE! (You pour 409 on your hard drive and it, as well as the computer explodes and you are sent flying to the other side of your house!)
You:    Three down, two to go!
You:    I need to find something on my computer, so I will right-click Start and open Explorer. (You hold down your mouse button on the Start button then click Explore.)
Windows:      A mouse with only one button? Get that out of my face NOW!
You:    And why should I do that, Windows? You should learn how to deal with foreign hardware!
Windows:      I do know how to deal with most foreign hardware, however, I refuse to accept that mouse of yours!
You:    Fine then, I will end your acceptance of hardware from this day, henceforth! (You place a timed mine inside the case of the computer, it explodes, but you are silly and stand next to the computer the whole time. The mine explodes, as well as the computer. You end up on the clear other side of your house.)
You:    Four down, one to go!
, or
You:    I need to type many numbers into this spreadsheet here. I think that it may be easier to do with the num pad. Oh, crap! Num Lock is off! No big deal, I can still type numbers anyway!
Windows:      Oops! I am sorry, but I reformatted your num pad to suit my needs. When you just pressed 1, I made you go to the end of the row instead of inserting a one!
You:    That's it! I am tired of you laughing at me and reformatting my hardware! GOOD BYE, WINDOWS! (You pour gasoline into the heat sinks and the computer overheats and explodes. You get fried by the explosion and end up in Strongbadia to live with Strong Bad and the other Homestar Runner related characters.
Windows and Mac OS together (as ghosts):       We will not tolerate this humiliation!
You:    Well, deal with it, untrustworthy operating systems! You should learn to get along with each other better and accept the opposite hardware! (You throw a ghomb (the combination of ghost and bomb) at the computers and they (as well as The Cheat) explode. The Cheat recovers (very disappointed at the fact that he had just exploded), but the computers do not come back again.
You:    Whew! At least I am through with those treacherous computers!

Note:   I have tried using a Windows keyboard on Mac OS and it worked just fine. Here is how the remapping went.

Start → Apple
Print Screen → F13 (Unknown function)
Scroll Lock → F14 (Brightness Down)
Pause → F15 (Brightness Up)
Insert → Help
Applications → Unknown
Num Lock → No function whatsoever (The LED does not even light up!)
Home and End → Do not move you to end of the line, move the entire scroll bar!
Mouse → No changes made except for slowerness (possibly due to Mac OS instead of Windows...ness) (Yes, the keyboard that I used does have an integrated mouse. It is not a touchpad though).

uncloned

spiritual in the sense that I think we are in something is bigger than what we perceive

I was raise a Catholic, became born again in Church of Christ and twice attended Lutheran services for a few years.

But I don't' find comfort in religion - I indeed see contradictions

I see promise of reward or fear of damnation childish motivation for leading a good life.

The most christian person (that is Christ-like) I have met is indeed an atheist.

I do not believe we are here.

I do not believe we have ever been here.

Our soul in the guise of corporal consciousness  is living out a temporary life in an imaginary place that has no relation to the reality of "Being"

we live through our body but are not of it

our purpose is to workout and find who we really are

but given a soul that can't be touched by another corporal being no real harm can be done to one another

a part of this charade of life is that no one can prove anything to anyone else about their personal experiences

look at it - as if we were in spacesuits we are all.... in fact.....
totally isolated from one another

language, art, music, are attempts to bridge this gap

but there is no way to know if what we perceive is the same as the perception of anyone else - or even know what is different

when I say "green" is the color
is that color the same color you see when you look on the same object?

we have indeed two levels of differences

one of the personality
one of perception through the body

our choices define who we are

and in the end..... we will judge ourselves.

Sam_Zen

As psishock (nice remarks about the tech, btw), I'm a bit confused too.
So in order to get my spirit a bit at ease, I try to derive some things out of all the philosophy here.

- Being a spiritual person is not the monopoly of religious people (although lots of them think so)
Like uncloned said about the atheist, I have enough with my own common sense to behave like a civilised person.
I don't need some ten commandments to act in a decent way. Or a promise of some heaven.

- Our body, senses and brain have limited capacities, so we can't understand everything that's happening.
So here, I like it the zen way, not supposing something out of the obscure, but not denying things either.
Not following preset ideas from the outside for easy satisfaction, but just keep on wonderin'..
And I like to explore all corners of my brain, because that's my territory.
Quote from: "Dictator"I find it absurd to have one's destiny based on positions of planets or stars.
Yep, I have strong doubts about that too. But a big planet coming along, messing up our solar system, is another story.

Really Weird Person

QuoteI like it the zen way, not supposing something out of the obscure, but not denying things either.
That sentence is probably where your name was derived. Does that seem reasonable? I am going to guess that the "Sam" part is probably because your name is Sam or perhaps you just like the name.