Do you own a musical instrument?

Started by SoundCrafter, August 09, 2006, 01:46:58

Previous topic - Next topic

SoundCrafter

One thing I've learned is that when I (and this probably isn't the same for the more experienced trackers out there) try to write songs strictly on Modplug, they sound like shit.  Most of my songs (even though I've only finished about 2 or 3) are born on my Roland HPI-7 Digital Piano, though I wish I had a synth.  Digital sampled pianos aren't quite good for electronica.  So I was wondering, how many of you own an instrument, and how many of you write songs on your instrument before going to Modplug?
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

xaimus

I own a violin, but usually start my compositions in Modplug.

Dictator

I own a piano. It is very helpful in composing with or without Modplug Tracker.

LPChip

I own several keyboards, although I only use one, cus the others are less good :)

I hardly use the keyboard to make music in MPT, but it helps to understand an instrument in order to use it well in MPT. You can then know what is allowed and what is not. For instance, a piano played with more than 10 tones can sound nice, but is very unrealistic as you only have 10 fingers, and usually you don't use more than 6 at a time.

Also each press has a different velocity so I add volumes per note to make it more realistic too. And as a last thing, not every note is played at the exact same moment, especially when your left hand plays something else than your right hand, so sometimes I use SD1 on some notes to give it a more human feel. Also, on a piano you usually walk in your melody.

You don't play C-5 wait a time then G-5. You can do that, but if you have more experience, you'll play C-5 wait a little, and then E-5,F-5,G-5 quickly.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rncekel

I still have my old piano fender, classical guitar, baroque recorder and a lot of percussion instruments. And also, I made with my own hands a pan flute. But I use them mostly to teach music to my sons. I prefer to compose writing down the music in a paper, with the classical notation. And, sometimes, I write it directly with modplug.

Waxhead

I own a couple of Jaw harp's and a self made willow flute that I made in plastic myself. It's amazing how cool sounds you can create with theese instruments. Also I have a dream of owning a (great highland) bagpipe someday :)

SoundCrafter

Hmm, interesting.

Waxhead: A self-made willow flute? That's pretty tite. And someday, I'll try to buy you a bagpipe.

LPChip: your comment about the velocity and the walking is definetly true with me. I try to vary velocity (though I can't seem to find that old link to that volume randomizer that someone had on the web. Does anyone remember that?)  but I haven't used walking (melodies) as much...I need to try that...
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"Hmm, interesting.

Waxhead: A self-made willow flute? That's pretty tite. And someday, I'll try to buy you a bagpipe.

LPChip: your comment about the velocity and the walking is definetly true with me. I try to vary velocity (though I can't seem to find that old link to that volume randomizer that someone had on the web. Does anyone remember that?)  but I haven't used walking (melodies) as much...I need to try that...

I made that volume randomiser :) So yeah definatelly do I remember that.

Im not sure if its still online, as it was part of my lpchip.nl site, which currently isn't hosted anymore, but redirects to my lpchip.com site. I did copied some stuff, but not everything, as most was outdated.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I own a lot, because I consider every object within my reach as a potential musical instrument. So a rather difficult question.
I have gathered quite some acoustical instruments, besides toys-with-sounds, and other objects.
For the electronic hardware part, some analog and or hybrid instruments here.
I consider a pc-app which is able to render sound realtime, as a musical instrument as well. It's an instrument because there are ways to control it.
Quotehow many of you write songs on your instrument before going to Modplug?
I don't write songs the academic way, so I start with Modplug to compose the song from the selected material. The row of patterns will write down my choices.

2 LPChip
A volume randomizer.. sounds interesting.

KrazyKatz

QuoteAlso each press has a different velocity so I add volumes per note to make it more realistic too. And as a last thing, not every note is played at the exact same moment, especially when your left hand plays something else than your right hand, so sometimes I use SD1 on some notes to give it a more human feel.

I have instruments recorded at different natural volumes for full realistic effect, such as French horns mf , f, ff etc...

Takes ages to manually convert the sound libraries to an MPT instrument though. But whatever it takes for the most realistic sound possible. With the proper effort you can achieve goals just as well as other programs. Although I do find it more difficult with solo violin, Harp, and guitar.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

SoundCrafter

@sam_zen: Considering every object within your reach is a musical instrument...I have no idea how you think of that. Truly. But it works for you.  :)

@LPChip: I Couldn't find that old randomizer. Do you have it somewhere?

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"
@LPChip: I Couldn't find that old randomizer. Do you have it somewhere?

Dunno... but I'm affraid not :(

But it didn't do much, so maybe we can get it into OpenMPT as feature?

It just took 25% of the volume, and took a random value of it.

So if your volume was 64, 25% of 64 = 48, then a random value between 48 and 64.

Violette

I have an old Yamaha keyboard, which is what gets me ideas. I also wish I owned a viola

SoundCrafter

@LP : Yeah, maybe we should. I should know this by now, but what language is Modplug written in? I'm taking a C++ class this year and would love to contribute.

@Violette: What model is your keyboard?

Violette