Do you own a musical instrument?

Started by SoundCrafter, August 09, 2006, 01:46:58

Previous topic - Next topic

SoundCrafter

---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: LPChip
Quote from: SoundCrafter
@LPChip: I Couldn't find that old randomizer. Do you have it somewhere?

Dunno... but I'm affraid not :(

But it didn't do much, so maybe we can get it into OpenMPT as feature?
While waiting for that, surely there is some VST for that? What exactly was the randomizer(not VST I assume)?

Quote from: SoundCrafter...what language is Modplug written in??
From sourceforge page: "Programming Language : Assembly, C, C++ "

SoundCrafter

C++! YAY! Soon I'll be writing absoultely USELESS features for modplug! KICKASS!

@Relabsoluness: The randomizer was actually just a neat little online applet LP designed. You could copy a channel from modplug, paste it in the field, and hit the button. It would then spit out a pretty nice paste-able volume randomized copy of that channel. Pretty sw33t.
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

A VST wouldn't work, as it doesn't allow you to after-edit your volume.

Basically, you want a routine to use, that just goes through your selection, and on it, it will check where a volume is located and if there is one, it does a little calculation on it.

Sort of a search/replace, and replace = random value between 75% to 100% and then apply it on the volume

Eg: find next volume: 64
Calculate a random percentage between 75 and 100: rndval = 78

Calculate new volume: 64 * 78% = 49

Replace volume by: setvol 49
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

i own a usb midi keyboard, a cheap acoustic guitar with nylon strings and a recorder. can't play any of them very well tho :)

as for random volume, isn't there a random volume slider in the instrument editor?

Sam_Zen

2 SoundCrafter
If an object is a kettle, you can use it to cook potatoes, but you can also use it to make sound by hitting it on the bottom with a spoon. An instrument, that can be played.

SoundCrafter

@sam_zen: Well, I consider that one kind of obvious. Any object can make some sort of sound, but I consider an instrument to be something that produces a sound that you can manipulate.  For example: A guitar can be tuned differently, or you canplay it (like a guitar) and manipulate pitch by fretting different notes.  If you really wanted to stretch this, you could say a kettle can be manipulated (I.E: Striking it in different places) but I don't know...that can get out of hand...

EDIT:
@ Speed-Goddamn-Focus: Yes, there is a volume randomizer slider, but many people (myself included) preferred LP's randomizer because if you didn't like the result, you could just change it.

SoundCrafter

Well, this forum has no official rules post yet, so I'm going to assume I have one legal bump for teh week.

BTW yall, czech out me new song please! It's in the Free Music forum.

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"Well, this forum has no official rules post yet, so I'm going to assume I have one legal bump for teh week.

BTW yall, czech out me new song please! It's in the Free Music forum.

This forum does have rules. They are: post with care, and respect others, and don't spam outside the spam forum :P (oh, and only post something once :P)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

2 SoundCrafter
It doesn't get out of hand, as long as one builds craftmanship in finding out how to hit the kettle at precisely different places. How about filling the kettle with a certain amount of water ?

SoundCrafter

@LPchip: Oops...sorry, guess I missed that

@Sam_zen: Interesting to say the least. Reminds of an armonica (I believe that's what it was called)
Ben Franklin built it out of several different sized glass bowls, and used a foot pedal to rotate them, they were then player by holding the fingers against the bowls so the bowls rubbed against the fingers, creating a pitched sound.

Sam_Zen

2 SoundCrafter ('harmonica' it is)
Fill empty beerbottles with different amounts of water, and blow over the top-hole.. ; anything goes.
If you twist the filled kettle a bit, right after the hit, you probably get a portamento sound.
There are people on New-Guinea, who put a living sago-beetle in their mouth. The insect starts to make a buzzing sound and the musician controls the harmonic overtones with his mouth. So they sit together at the fire, playing a song.

SoundCrafter

@ Sam_Zen: No, harmonicas are completely different. I'm pretty sure it's 'Armonica' , unless I'm wrong, which I very well could be.  And now I want a sago-beetle farm.

Sam_zen, you never cease to amaze me.

rncekel

When I was a student at the University, I used to make more pleasant the chemical laboratory practices by pitching the different tubes with the liquids to analize, so that I finally had a kind of pan flute (just the trick of the different levels). Teachers were not very happy with me playing songs with the tubes, but that's a different story.

Snu

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"Reminds of an armonica (I believe that's what it was called)
Ben Franklin built it out of several different sized glass bowls, and used a foot pedal to rotate them, they were then player by holding the fingers against the bowls so the bowls rubbed against the fingers, creating a pitched sound.

i always heard it called a 'glass harmonica', tho according to wikipedia:
The glass harmonica, also known as glass armonica or simply armonica (derived from "armonia," the Italian word for harmony) is a type of musical instrument that uses a series of glass bowls or goblets graduated in size to produce musical tones by means of friction (instruments of this type are known as friction idiophones).

so i guess we are both right