Do you own a musical instrument?

Started by SoundCrafter, August 09, 2006, 01:46:58

Previous topic - Next topic

SoundCrafter

@snu: indeed.
@sam_zen: What Snu said.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Sam_Zen

'Also known as', ok, I see.
Besides that, we have to deal with the spelling of different languages, and their instrument names. E.g. in Dutch, a 'harmonika' is a small accordion, while a mouth-organ also is called a 'mond(mouth)-harmonika'.

So, this glass armonica is basically played with a damp finger, moving round, on the edges of the various bowls.
This is pure playing an acoustical instrument. You can rest your finger on the edge, but as long you don't move your finger around, no friction, there's no sound.
Now this Ben Franklin apparently made a contraption with rotating glass bowls. So you don't have to make the difficult rotation with your finger anymore, to produce a solid, steady tone, so the finger-press is enough to make the sound.
It's still playing acoustically, but the link to mechanic or electric power has been set. Ben F. used his feet and a pedal, now the rotation of the glasses will probably be done with a controllable servo-motor.

SoundCrafter

Yup. But honestly, I haven't seen or heard of one in modern-day...Though I might make one sometime...
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

I have in the past somewhat 15 years ago.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs