OpenMPT FM+PCM example song compo (extended deadline 2018-11-16)

Started by Saga Musix, July 01, 2018, 20:52:50

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I know that Scream Tracker 3 was the one that had OPL support in it, but my memory from the old day tells me it would only load STM modules with that function. But maybe Scream Tracker 3 allowed both S3M and STM songs to have it, though somewhere in the back of my memory I recall that I could only add OPL sounds when using STM. But it was so long ago... I probably am wrong about that.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

ScreamTracker 3 cannot even save STM files...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Ok, then I really must be keeping things confused. Sorry I brought this up.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

namayake

Is there any plan to implement the various modulator/carrier 4op routing algorithms for full OPL3 compatibility? It would be great to be able to use OMPT as an alternative to AdlibTracker and its UI, which is a *very* acquired taste. As a side note, JuceOPL doesn't support the algorithms either, only the additional wave forms. And its .SBI export function produces corrupted files. It would be doing the OPL enthusiast community a massive favor if the OMPT dev team made the OPL3 emulation and editing function feature complete, along with allowing saving of .SBI files (unless it exists already, I haven't tried that feature yet).

Saga Musix

Proper OPL3 instrument support is a bit more work than anticipated, so it is almost guaranteed that it will not make it into OpenMPT 1.28. It's always possible that it will make it into a later release, though.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

The competition deadline is getting closer, but it's unlikely that OpenMPT 1.28 will be released shortly after (i.e. within the first 1-2 weeks of October). Consider this to be a soft deadline, if you have an unfinished submission then let us know here and feel free to upload a work in progress version.

Saga Musix

By the way, I'd really prefer people to use the MPTM format rather than S3M due to the general quirkiness of S3M. MPTM will always just "sound right" because OpenMPT can decide what's right and what's wrong. Don't assume that an S3M file will "stick out" just because of its extension - many people will never see it, and they will certainly not think a lot about it either.

PS (observation from early compo submissions): There is no need to set the resonance in addition to the filter cutoff - there is no such thing as resonance on OPL instruments, as the cutoff only changes the modulator volume.

namayake

Well you guys have done wonderful job so far. I would greatly encourage you to keep working on it and make the OPL3 support feature complete. At this point in time, the only options for track creation with full OPL3 support is AT2, or old DOS tools and low-level programming lanugages. Alternatives would be most welcome. It would also be competition to AT2, pushing the devs to make their own application better.

LPChip

I have my entry nearly complete, so I will definitely submit it, but a few extra weeks will also help me polish it up. Do you want me to submit something before sunday if I already know I need a few more weeks to make it even better? Or is a message like this enough?

Also, I kept the s3m format and unless you want me to switch to mptm, I will stick with the s3m format, because I will also mix and master the song and will do that in the mptm format, with additional plugins and stuff, and I want to keep the example song separated from that version.

Saga Musix

Yes, I would like to have a rough impression of the amount and quality of submissions, so please also submit unfinished entries until then.
QuoteI will stick with the s3m format, because I will also mix and master the song and will do that in the mptm format, with additional plugins and stuff, and I want to keep the example song separated from that version.
Silly reason but it's up to you.

ida

Saga Musix

There are some nice submissions in the compo yet, thanks to everyone who contributed! Keep 'em coming - if you have any work-in-progress tune, please feel free to submit it as well. The release will definitely not happen before mid-October, so you have at least one more week or so to work on your tunes if required.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Saga Musix

Compo deadline has been updated to encourage some more submissions.