OpenMPT example song compo - extended deadline (2015-08-12)

Started by Saga Musix, July 01, 2015, 08:52:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

There haven't been any example songs with custom tunings yet, so that would be a great thing to do. As long as you move all "local" tunings to the "tune specific" tunings list, they are shareable.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

anosci

is it ok if I link my tune here?
I made a 20TET tune that I like, but that doesn't mean anyone else will :P
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/149306395/dleo%20(trimmed).mptm

it uses samples from a Kawai R-50e though. I have no idea where I got the sample pack, but they're pretty straightforward samples from an existing drum machine. where does this sit on the spectrum of "don't use samples which obviously violate some kind of copyright"?

Saga Musix

I think the tune is pretty nice, but rather short. Would you want to invest some time into making it a bit longer? I'm pretty sure some of the samples could also be replaced by samples from the compo pack while still sonuding close to the original.
Drum machine samples are okay, I have been using those for the pack as well after all (although all of mine are a bit processed, so not direct recordings). The copyright thing is mostly about ripping samples from commercial music and from sample packs like Vengeance.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

anosci

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 21, 2015, 12:04:17Would you want to invest some time into making it a bit longer?
...not really. :\
in this case, I feel like the musical idea behind this song is complete, so I don't want to change anything.

I'd offer up my other microtonal experiments, but the rest are all DSP heavy. I'll just use your sample pack for my future experiments, and then post the results if I make anything good :P

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 21, 2015, 12:04:17The copyright thing is mostly about ripping samples from commercial music and from sample packs like Vengeance.
ah, I thought so, but I wasn't sure how many hairs I should be splitting!

Saga Musix

Well, I do find < 1 minute to be rather short for an example song, so if you can find / come up with anything longer, that would be great :)

Exhale

Well maybe you might want to ask for example songs for new releases again, and since this topic was right at the top already anyways I thought I would post here - I am making something along the lines of an example song, doing my best to keep it small and sticking to samples and dma effects - been using vst speek to render some stuff and wanting to add more - doing a lot of downsampling to keep it uber low - still below 200k, and feeling fairly confident I can keep it at least close. :) would you guys be interested in it - it is dubstep 2:45min so far but I havent filled it with everything I want yet - ie more vst speek (not too much more) a bit of lead perhaps and a few noise samples.

Saga Musix

As said before, I'm always open for more example songs. Whether a new track will be added or not entirely depends on whether I think it is suitable or not, though.
Don't focus too much on keeping it small by downsampling and 8-bit conversion - I will take care of compression if it's required. In particular, I will compress and optimize samples using lossyWAV as previously mentioned in this thread.

Exhale

Quote from: Saga Musix on October 05, 2016, 23:31:24
Don't focus too much on keeping it small by downsampling and 8-bit conversion - I will take care of compression if it's required. In particular, I will compress and optimize samples using lossyWAV as previously mentioned in this thread.

Cool, thanks for the information, I admit I am just stoked at how small I can get this thing 200k is nothing. When done I will send it through to you guys and you can tell me if its "appropriate" ;) it doesnt have any swearing and I do not plan to add any - and it uses some of the cool tricks of samples in modplug so I hope it will be... also thinking I am going to add some cut up loops to it, so thanks for the heads up that I dont need to focus too much on keeping it small. - I admit I have a bit of a lifelong obsession with modplug, so having a song or two as examples would just be awesome.

Well here is the file, got twice as big as I had originally been going for with the system I was using, but 416k is still insanely small. - maybe a shorter version to stay under 200k... if you need me to do so just say...
you mentioned lossy compression, that would probably work well for the voice stuff made with vst speek and the recording of my voice I added in. The rest I think is marginal in contributing to the size. so looks like I am going to have to compress to attach it here. - damn ok well the zip got it to 390k...
I'll put it on modarchives.org - apparently they screen them, so I suppose I will just wait, been years since I uploaded anything there. Ok modarchive is going to take a lifetime... going to compress into two files under 256kb each gah! lol... there hope that archive zips works  :o
Gah that too cant be uploaded because the second file is .zip.002 and as a 7zip .7z.002...
Ok I will get back to you once I have it uploaded somewhere. annoying

Ok I'll upload it on my google drive and pop the link here :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3NxRrx--hZPTFVtSktmc1F0UTQ