Unpleasant news (read when you have time)

Started by LPChip, October 22, 2010, 07:31:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

LPChip: yeah, on his own site my homepage is old. I wonder if I should correct that - I guess not. Otherwise I will have to correct every unworking link there. so let it stay as part of history. on the same links page he does have a link to my Tape Loops software which is an honor, I did not know he put it on his site.

LPChip

Hahaha indeed :)

Yeah, I also think you should leave the links as they are. It was his site, and you're only providing an archive here. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Note that his site is also available on archive.org, though I didn't check how much of it is preserved there.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

rncekel

"...I won't insult his memory with long-distance grief.
Tears and wakes weren't his style: not him,
He'd have laughed in my face if he saw it get mournful,
He'd pull me up short and say "Life carries on"
I never did say, I never quite found time:
He taught me a lot, and I carry it still.
Never thanked him at all for his friendship
And now I never will."

From "Not for Keith", by Peter Hammill

Harbinger

I was thinking over the past week about our own demise, anticipated or not. How does anyone know is any other member has passed away or been killed? How would anyone else know? Not all of us have loved ones to alert the board members here of  this kind of bad news. I've often wondered how many of the unfaced names i come across at sites i visit are alive today...

Perhaps we should set up some sort of protocol or means to determine the "continuation" of ourselves. If one of us dies, the site is somehow notified. Let's assume that all of us doesn't have someone to notify the board (did Sam_Zen?). What would be the best way to set this in motion should the worst happen? Is it part of an executable will? Would we leave a note with our landlord/parent/friend to contact this site should they find us at room temperature?

LPChip

I'm honestly not so sure if we actually would want to do this.

For staff, I would find it some sort of a privilege, but the last thing family is going to be worried about is the hobby of a person. If you really want us to know, you should ask your family to do it for you. If we get notified by email, we can then publish it, which is something that is not so hard to do.

In my case with Sam_Zen, I know him a little better than only forum contact. I also have his telephone number and met him IRL too.

But I bet, each and everyone of us has somewhere in the internet where this kind of information can be found when its due to happen. Perhaps somekind of facebook site etc...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

these was a start up that was meant for this

it sent an automated email to you at your specified intervals and if you didn't respond it assumed you were dead.

not sure that the start up went beyond the concept phase though.

mrvegas

I just saw this.  Rest in peace -- or, if he prefers, experimental soundscapes not known to the mortal ear.

Strange how the internet can make people who never meet feel like neighbors sometimes.  Very sad to hear the news.

thepsproject

I know I'm late in posting, sorry about that.  I would have if I had the means.  just wanted to send my condolances, even at this late date; Sam always gave me feedback on the music i wrote.  While he is no longer among us, he's still a damn good friend, and in my heart.  All the best to his family, and you, my friends who knew him here at Modplug.
thepsproject
albums written in Windows XP
moved to Windows 10/ 64bit

Harbinger

6 mos. late is not too late. Those of us who knew him and those of us who only heard him thru his music still feel his absence. :-[

BTW, you'll find a special mention of Sam_Zen in the OHM (1.19.1)...