Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Started by KrazyKatz, May 19, 2011, 21:48:41

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

This news came a little late for me, but I wanted to share it with my community. Not many people I know would really understand the impact I feel from this.

Dream Theater were my favorite band growing up and still are. When I first heard them I was astonished as to their musical brilliance and as a drummer was introduced to an entire new world. I own all their albums up till 'Scenes from a Memory'. I feel after that album they started going downhill musically, which happens even to the best bands. They simply reach their pinnacle, and you have to accept that.

The drummer, Mike Portnoy, chose to leave the band after feeling burned out by it. He was one of the founders of the group and also wrote a lot of the lyrics, including the amazing "A Change of Seasons". The band has already gone through changing the odd member or two, but still had a very solid structure to maintain itself by virtue of it's key members. Without Portnoy though, it's just not the same band. He was a definitive part of it.

I have such regrets, since they came to my country 2 years ago, and I never went to see them. Now I'll never be able to.

Portnoy clearly brought the level of drum performance in Rock to a higher standard, and as a fundamental member, whilst the band goes on, for me Dream Theater has officially ended.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Harbinger

I don't remember them? What genre did they produce? The name rings a bell.

I felt the same way when i found out Michael Sadler left Saga. His was the voice of that band and drove home the message and the philosophy of their music.

But hey, after looking on their website, Sadler has returned to the band after some soul-searching!

So maybe there's still hope, Katz! :D

KrazyKatz

I can only hope :).

They pretty much invented the "Progressive Metal" genre.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com