How much is ModPlug Central worth to YOU?

Started by Saga Musix, August 18, 2010, 20:44:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you donate?

No.
2 (20%)
Yes, anything less than 5 euros a year.
1 (10%)
Yes, anything less than 10 euros a year.
3 (30%)
Yes, anything less than 20 euros a year.
3 (30%)
Yes, anything less than 50 euros a year.
1 (10%)
Hell yes, I'd donate you the whole server costs! =)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: August 18, 2010, 20:48:10

Saga Musix

Let's face it: ModPlug Central went down the drain. Not only does the frontpage consist of little and partially outdated information - the really interesting bits are also scattered all over the internet (on xwiki, on lpchip's site, on my site, on sourceforge).
Plans are currently to re-unite all this, and make ModPlug Central a worthwhile place again.

However, we also need the help of the community for that, and not just for the content.
The current, yet unfinished plans are to move everything to a single server: The website, the forums, the wikis, SVN. Of course, this sets some requirements which not every service does meet. That's why I currently want to go for a typical vServer setup, a server where we can do what we want, so to speak. The costs for that would be slightly less than 100 euros per year, which is admittedly not that much for what we would get. However, neither do I want to pay this all on my own, nor any other project member.
This is one of the reasons why we ask you: How much is ModPlug Central worth to YOU? How many euros would you willing to donate (yearly, if possible) to keep this place alive, and to make it even better? It's likely that the new ModPlug Central won't survive without donations, but the site will be at least 100 times more awesome that it currently that is.
Remember: The more people donate, the less everyone has to pay!

This is not sure yet, but you might even get something in return (I mean more than just a honourable mention on the website and in the program) - maybe your own email address like yourname@openmpt.com? We'll see! :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

hmmm, if i manage to get a decent job in this crippled barbaric country, i can easily promise 20eu/year. Possibly even more, but no guaranty to that, coz its not easy to keep a job, even if you manage to get a hold of one, and giving uncertain promises is not really my style. =)

however, what ompt needs is a lot stronger community base, and making a "better" site may not help at all to archive that. :)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rakib

I am willing to pay 10-20 Euros, don't need more emailadresses but I wouldn't mind a contributer note. I can also help and work on the site.

One thing that I would not recommend is to move the sourcecode, sourceforge is a great place to keep the sources and it's reliable.

Btw, looks like Jeskola (the Buzz developer did something same recently):
http://buzzchurch.com/viewtopic.php?t=5124
^^

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Rakib"One thing that I would not recommend is to move the sourcecode, sourceforge is a great place to keep the sources and it's reliable.
One of the few advantages is of course that everything is nicely set up there, but running an own SVN or Git or whatever server is not much more work as well. And it doesn't set the same restrictions as we have them with SourceForge. The suite won't be built in one step, of course, so we'll se if it's worth moving the repository, and then it might eventually happen.

QuoteBtw, looks like Jeskola (the Buzz developer did something same recently):
http://buzzchurch.com/viewtopic.php?t=5124
And it even seems like he's paying about the same amount of money for the server. I kind of find the 2nd reply in that thread a bit weird, because that's how much you have to pay for a good server, and hey, it's 120$ a year, not 120$ a month!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

I'll donate webspace but not money as I'm keeping my own site afloat w/o donations.

And I'll be happy to move the modplug archive to your site if you do get this up and want the control of the music archive.

Chris

Saga Musix

Perhaps I should have also mentioned that webspace is not the issue (though it would probably still be a good idea to keep the archive on your server for now) - a configurable server with full control is. Some cron jobs will have to be run on the server every now and then, and shell access is required for mainting other parts of the site (f.e. the MediaWiki). And it must be possible to install and run additional software like SVN (and possibly PDF export for the wiki). I'd like the server to be under full control by the whole team, and not only by the person who pays for it. Unluckily, that is rather unlikely to happen if we rely on hosting from the community, because I'm rather sure noone of you wants to share their root account login credentials.

Rakib

Isn't it just for uncloned to make a virtuell server?
^^

uncloned

at 100 euros a year - I'd think you'd be getting a shared sever - not a dedicated one.

And I think you are right about the root access. They have the address of the person who pays for the server - no matter who does it and which company you are hosted at.

And when you do get this running I definitely want to move the music archive to your site.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Rakib"Isn't it just for uncloned to make a virtuell server?
That would imply, though, that he has root control over a physical (non-virtual) server and can set up virtual machines.

Quoteat 100 euros a year - I'd think you'd be getting a shared sever - not a dedicated one.
It's in fact a virtual server.

Rakib

We'll, I'd say go for it. Set up a paypal account.
^^

LPChip

I already gave you my vision, though I'll state it here.

I am for donating a fixed amount a year myself, but certainly in the beginning it will probably be not getting us to the max.

So I do not mind for the first 1 or 2 years, to be one of the backbones, to pay whatever is left to pay.

Do you perhaps have a website on what we'd get?

Another idea I was having: I doubt that we'll need all the stuff from this server. Perhaps we can rent server space or something like that to another community (last resort in case it seems that we won't make the costs)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"Another idea I was having: I doubt that we'll need all the stuff from this server. Perhaps we can rent server space or something like that to another community (last resort in case it seems that we won't make the costs)
As I'd definitely want to go for root access so that we can install any tools on the server we might need (as explained above), that would again imply that such a community would run on a dedicated server. However, I know where I can still look for a cheaper offer, but details on that will be announced once all my exams are over and I'm back from Evoke (no time to do it before that).

Rxn

Louigi Verona

Definitely a worthy idea, especially if it will not take forever to implement. As far as I know you are still working on the new modplug )))

I would be willing to donate, especially if it is possible to do on a daily basis. Say, 5-10 euro a month. Multiply it by 12 and you got a nice sum. But donating a big sum right away - this I cannot do. I would be able to donate 20 euro as a one time donation, but I would suggest you keep the possibility to donate all year round.

I think we as a community can make all of this possible. Rxn has made a very generous offer.

As for getting something back, I wouldn't want an email, but I would like to be listed on a list of people who support the site financially. It sort of says a lot of one's dedication.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"I would be willing to donate, especially if it is possible to do on a daily basis. Say, 5-10 euro a month. Multiply it by 12 and you got a nice sum. But donating a big sum right away - this I cannot do. I would be able to donate 20 euro as a one time donation, but I would suggest you keep the possibility to donate all year round.
Sure, of course we don't want to enfore anyone to donate large sums at once. I guess we could set up a paypal account (or use mine for the time being, and I will also donate the few euros that are left on it :D) and everyone can choose how much they want to donate at any time.

Definitely a worthy idea, especially if it will not take forever to implement.
At least the new website is almost done. I should have plenty of time in september and october to set up the rest.