April fool: OpenMPT is now officially discontinued

Started by Saga Musix, April 01, 2010, 13:29:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Dear community,
it's a tough decision, but also a very important decision. The current main developers (that is Relabs and me) had a long chat for the last few days and we came to the conclusion that it just doesn't make sense anymore to develop OpenMPT. Today, there are much better and easy-to-use solutions available like Renoise or also Reaper. OpenMPT just can't survive in this world anymore. Therefore, we decided to halt OpenMPT development and also remove the sources from sourceforge.net in about a week, as they're of no use anymore.
This might come as a shock to most of you, I know - But let's face it: It was about time. We really had a very long discussion with many important arguments for and against this step. I've summarized the most important arguments in this document. I hope you all can understand our move.
-Jojo
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

A good one there :)
Cheers

Regards
-A soon to be a cubase user
^^

LPChip

Finally! I got tired of keeping the website up.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

g

Finally! I mean, it's moved from 1.16 to 1.18 in what? 10 years? Seriously, were you guys ever doing any development at all except change the splash screen every once in a while? ;)

Really Weird Person

Hmmm, Modplug Tracker is being discontinued, eh? Does anyone know of any other programs (excluding Renoise) [for Windows*] that offer more than 1,000 patterns (as this is Renoise's limit as far as I know)?

* Windows:  Velvet Studio offers 65,536 patterns, but it is for DOS, not Windows.

Sam_Zen

Rakib

I don't mind talking bs here without mpt in development. We have here a good collections of some nice people.
^^

Really Weird Person

Quote from: "Rakib"I don't mind talking bs here

I think that everyone (especially Nahkranoth based on some of his previous posts) would side with you here except for me. I am not quite that naive. It just so happens that I do know what the acronym BS stands for in this context. It stands for profanity.

psishock

About time you guys finally realized it. All these years of desperate struggling to make it look alive, meh. It wasn't even being resurrected properly, from the time Olivier stopped the old MPT development officially. :lol:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

Is RWP the only one who has a "different" view on the entire thing? or... :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

pretty much so. when will you take the forums down?
oops, it's not even april 1st anymore... Seems like what I wrote yesterday was utter bullshit! :nuts:
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

what has been said, cannot be unsaid. :D
cant get away that easy. :lol:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Really Weird Person

Quote from: "psishock"what has been said, cannot be unsaid.

That is very true. Even though you can delete the post, it remains in your memory. Depending on what the post was, you may or may not regret posting it. Of course, in the case of everyone here except for me, posts that they regret are likely those that do not contain what would likely be categorized as unwholesome talk (profanity). That is unfortunate, but it is entirely possible that it is also very true.

pafufta816

mpt has been my sequencer of choice since as long as i can remember.  1996-7?  almost 15 years now.  as archaic and antique a program as it is, the framework for composition and production in MPT shaped and defined the way i produce and record music.  i still use it for most of my sequencing, in Ubuntu via Wine.  before that i used it in OS X with Darwine.  RIP
www.myspace.com/consentualabuse
www.myspace.com/neongenesis816