A couple of questions relating to VSTi methods.

Started by Rylo, February 15, 2010, 16:18:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Rylo

Hi there everyone, it's been a long time since my last post.

I've been dipping in and out of ModPlug for a while now and since discovering how powerful the use of VSTi's can be I was wondering a couple of things.

1) Is it best to just set the VSTi up as an instrument and then program the notes into the pattern direct or should I be recording the notes played on the VSTi and then loading them into ModPLug as individual samples?

2) And my second question is can you apply VST effects to a VSTi instrument? So if I am using the Synth1 VSTi for example, is there a way I can apply the Classic Delay effect to it and then tweak the settings as the song is playing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
R

LPChip

Quote from: "Rylo"Hi there everyone, it's been a long time since my last post.
Welcome back :)

Quote from: "Rylo"
1) Is it best to just set the VSTi up as an instrument and then program the notes into the pattern direct or should I be recording the notes played on the VSTi and then loading them into ModPLug as individual samples?
Both techniques can work. It depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to distribute the module itself, or want to have full control over the sound, you'll want to go with samples. If you however don't want to do that, just using the VSTi's is the way to go (unless of course your computer can't handle it) The biggest difference is, that with a VSTi, you can tweak and control (using midi macro's) the settings after a while to improve your song even more. If you were using samples, you would need to go through the entire process of recreating the samples again.

Quote from: "Rylo"
2) And my second question is can you apply VST effects to a VSTi instrument? So if I am using the Synth1 VSTi for example, is there a way I can apply the Classic Delay effect to it and then tweak the settings as the song is playing?
Sure. There are several ways to do this. You could use a chainer plugin for this, like Xlutop Chainer (not free) and there are more, but luckily, modplug also offers this function.

After you load in a plugin to a slot, ensure that the next plugin you want to link to is on a higher slot (lower in the list). Say: you have a plugin on slot 21, the next one will be on 22 or higher.

Select the first plugin and on the right it says output: master. Change master to the number of where you have your delay plugin.

While the song is playing you can tweak the sound and other settings like the delay. This also works when a pattern is playing.

I often create a new pattern, put C-4 on the first row, put a note off (===) on the 4th row, and place FX C00 on the 8th row. I then continuously play the pattern and tweak my sound.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Regarding the second question, you might also want to take a look at one of my latest releases, where I chain quite a few fx (including Synth1).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rylo

LPChip, thanks for that explenation. I was trying to get that method to work but must have been doing something wrong. I'll have another go tonight when I get some time and follow your description.

Jojo, I'll besure to check out your tune later as well. My current browser doesn't support playing songs online.

Thanks very much guys!  :)

Regards,
R

Saga Musix

well, i don't know ANY browser that could show you the plugin routing in the mptm file... ::)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rylo

Yeah I was gonna have a quick listen to the mp3 version(?) on your website here --> http://sagamusix.de/en/comment/read/logical_control_right/

(listen online) But it won't let me play the song.

Saga Musix

I don't offer mp3, the preview is ogg. Modern browsers like Firefox and some beta versions of Opera can play ogg files.