Where'd You Get Your Nick?

Started by Squirrel Havoc, February 14, 2006, 00:54:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

Ok, I have 2 reasons for this post, one is fisk0, his name sounds like a hard drive designation in Linux or a Linux derivative :)

The other is people always ask me this, so here goes:

About 1999, I was into the Sega Dreamcast game system, which was one of the first to have online play out of the box. But you needed a handle to play, and unlike Xbox Live, you can change your nick anytime you want. So I picked different ones all the time to hide from the enemies I made all the time (long story). Well, my brother was visiting my grandpa a few months earlier, and being a seinile old guy, he rambled a lot. He told my brother about the squirrels on the roof, that were "creating quite havoc". But with my grandpa's Pennsilvania Dutch accent, it sounded like "havAWK". Back to online gaming, I was looking for a permanent nick, and my brother had just told me that story about my grandpa's ramblings, and he goes "call yourself SquirlHavawk", which had to be shortened because there were only so many letters you can use. He was joking about that, but I went "Hey, that sounds cool!", so I started gaming with that nick. After a while, I used it on the internet (I wont even go into what I used to go by before that  :twisted: ). Then I started making music, and it kinda stuck with me since then. Now I use it everywhere.

About rodent revenge, I was imagining getting a record deal, and if you notice, most if not all albums are like "All Music Copyright Warner Bros./Go Screw Yourself music", so in my day dream I was asked what I wanted to have as a sub-label name. And rodent revenge records just popped into my head, and that's where it came from. A little inside info for anyone that cares, R3 will soon be Rodent Revenge Studios, becuase I am branching out into other forms of digital media. Just FYI :)

So hows abouts yous guys? Where did you get your name and label name from?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

My nick just comes from an abbreviation of my last name, and I wanted an emphasis on the last three characters : zen.
This, because if I ever will be forced by a government to name some religion as my belief, otherwise I would be shot, I would choose that. No rituals, no rules, no priests, no dogma's.

I use two labels, Nusic and MUX, and both have to do with some pathetic effort to classify my pieces in another category than 'music', although one can still listen to it.

fisk0

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Ok, I have 2 reasons for this post, one is fisk0, his name sounds like a hard drive designation in Linux or a Linux derivative :)

Actually, "fisk" is the swedish word for fish. My name is a bit of an inside joke with some of my friends, we had a "fish cult", for no real reason, we just liked the word fish and pictures of fishes, the other's had names like fisk1, fisk2, fisk3 etc., and well. I just ended up being fisk0 (it is an zero in the end, not the letter "O", which people often mistake it to be, pronouncing it Fisko, which is kind of cute though).

Earlier I used the name Zergis (which I started to use when playing the game StarCraft many years ago, though I had a longer name in the beginning that took too long time to write in the middle of a battle that everyone just shortened it to zergis, I do hope that no one remembers me at the time I used that name, as I released an extremely crappy song during that time :). Well, I decided to drop Zergis because there seemed to be like thousands of other people using that nick too.
Though most of my friends in the "fish cult" has changed their nicks to other things I decided to keep my fisk0 designation.

EDIT: By the way, I mostly use my real name on the Internet nowadays, but as it contains the swedish letter "?", which isn't supported by many web pages outside Sweden and Finland I use fisk0 instead.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"if I ever will be forced by a government to name some religion as my belief, otherwise I would be shot

Damn dude, what the hell country have you been living in? I guess I take the USA for granted, because I am used to the freedom to worship non-christian ways and get away with it. Get away with it legally, but society still frowns on me, and no one gives me a chance to see that it's not like they think.

People...sheesh...
-

LPChip

I've called myself LPChip during elementary school.

I was doing some programming and started making music. I was like... I'll be needing a nickname for this. After hours of thinking, I ended up with Chip. The reasoning behind Chip is: I'm very interested in every aspect of Chips. I like technology -> Computer chips, Ofcource the symplystic music that are called -> Chiptunes, and as a little joke, I like patato chips too. :)

So for the first few weeks, I was known as Chip. I did a google search for Chip to see how this name was being used on the internet. I ended with way too many results. Reason: Chip is a real name too, as it is a normal word. So I had to choose something else, or do something with the name.

I've decided to add something to the name. LP are my initials. I became known as: L. P. Chip But it was a strange looking name with these dots, so I decided to remove them. I've kept the captions in order to make it clear that the tonation should still be L P.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

Me and my friend were fans of Scatman and Scatman was a fan of Louis Armstrong and in his song "Everybody Jam!" there is a line: Hey, Louie!

So my friend sometimes greeted me that way on the phone: hey, louie!

It stuck + I always liked the name luigi. (like it written with an 'o' though)

The word Verona I made up myself, at that time not knowing that it is a city in Italy, homecity of opera music.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Me and my friend were fans of Scatman and Scatman was a fan of Louis Armstrong and in his song "Everybody Jam!" there is a line: Hey, Louie!

So my friend sometimes greeted me that way on the phone: hey, louie!

It stuck + I always liked the name luigi. (like it written with an 'o' though)

The word Verona I made up myself, at that time not knowing that it is a city in Italy, homecity of opera music.

Wow, I thought it was your real name :)
-

tvdude

My nickname is tvdude.  I worked 10 years for a television company as a camera operator and an editor.  I left the company, but am still a freelance camera operator and editor.  I also go by the nickname "flatbroke" because, unfortunately, that's what I am as well.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Squirrel Havoc

If I named myself from my profession, it would be DisabledBasketCase :D
-

Blulum

I opened notepad and arbitrarily put letters together until they looked less horrible

I probably should have thought of something good or something...

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Blulum"I opened notepad and arbitrarily put letters together until they looked less horrible

I probably should have thought of something good or something...

I don't know, backwards it spells mululb, thats kinda cool
-

Louigi Verona

Yeah, Louigi Verona does sound like a real name. But I always wanted a nick that would sound like a real name. So...

QuoteIf I named myself from my profession, it would be DisabledBasketCase

That's funny :)

DavidN

Oddly enough, some people think my real name is "Wong Chung Bang" even though I chose it to be as unlikely as possible. It was thought up after watching "The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk" too much.

As it's beginning to sound a little silly now I'm trying to phase into my real name, David X Newton. Well, my middle initial isn't really X, but one of my Chemistry professors thought it was and wrote as such on all the class sheets one year, with the result that everyone else thought that was my middle initial as well. So I sort of adopted it.

cyperkid

actually "cyperkid" refers to my harder!faster! fasttracker-"childhood" when everybody was thinking that creating such music must origin in heavy drug abuse..."cyper" was the name of a sinister mind destroying drug in a science-fiction novel...so i became "cyperkid"  :twisted:
commodore stole my childhood

me_mantis

I can be found as my name, me_mantis, or puzzabug. I usually create accounts places depending on what sort of activity I do there.

I wanted a better yahoo e-mail account so I applied for mantis@yahoo.com but NOOO someone had already taken it. I didn't want any stupid numbers at the end
(sry if you got em... just makes you less original in most cases =D =D =P)

Then I tried a few more and ended up with me_mantis a combination of 2 nics I liked. Mantis as in Praying Mantis, and Me as in well... uh Me. I would have gone with PrayingMantis, but it would have scared away ppl who are afraid of Christians =P (It didn't sound that great either)

I then needed a nic for Red Alert westwood online. I didn't know that the ladders reset every month, so I made puzzabug (Puzz a Bug). Then after a few months, I realised that the ladders reset, so I didn't need a nooby name. Since I had played with too many ppl, and wanted them to remember me when I beat them again, I stuck with puzzabug.

Then a few years later, I started playing red alert 2, and Puzzabug was still on the server, so I game as Puzzabug.

My passwords are much more interesting than my names, but since I don't share them with ppl, you will have to take my word for it. =D
<>< <>< <>< <><