Main Menu

Ron Paul

Started by Louigi Verona, May 06, 2009, 17:08:57

Previous topic - Next topic

g

First column, % homicides with firearms, you can see that 65% of all homicides in the USA are "people getting shot". This is a high number, only Guatemala and Colombia are higher. In other words, two out of three homicides in the USA are gun-related.

Second column, firearm homicide rate per 100,000 population,you can see how many out of 100 000 people were killed by a firearm. In my opinion you should compare the USA to other developed countries such as Spain or Australia.

Third column, Non-firearm homicide rate per 100,000 population. Here you can see that the numbers for USA is a little higher than comparable countries, but not at all by as much as the firearm homicide rate.

Fourth column is just second and third added.

What you can use as arguments against these numbers are that they're from 2000 (I couldn't find any more recent numbers) and that Canada which has pretty liberal gun laws doesn't stand out in the same way the USA does at all.

Rxn

Quoteyou can see how many out of 100 000 people were killed by a firearm

It appears to me that they have fairly evil firearms in the US.

g

Quote from: "Rxn"
Quoteyou can see how many out of 100 000 people were killed by a firearm

It appears to me that they have fairly evil firearms in the US.

Guns don't kill people, bullets do.

Also: Ali G

Sam_Zen

Ali G is great. Bad sub-clip with the laughter by the way.
Yep. Nuclear weapons don't kill people. Tiny radioactive particles do.

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

g

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Yep. Nuclear weapons don't kill people. Tiny radioactive particles do.
That kind of depends; the fireball, the thermal radiation or the air blast might kill people before the tiny radioactive particles even get a shot.

PPH

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"How could I've missed this guy before? He seems to be a very interesting person to me. Basically, this is the real politician - with long term thinking.

Ron Paul is great.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

Louigi Verona

Hey, PPH! Long time no see! How are you?

PPH

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Hey, PPH! Long time no see! How are you?

I'm fine! I'm not so active in music anymore. Maybe it's lack of time. I've had other projects, work, etc. Anyway, I'm trying to come back!
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

Sam_Zen

Yep, PPH, nice to see you again..

uncloned

Quote from: "g"
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Yep. Nuclear weapons don't kill people. Tiny radioactive particles do.
That kind of depends; the fireball, the thermal radiation or the air blast might kill people before the tiny radioactive particles even get a shot.

you know... when you come down to it the fault lies with the fact that people's bodies are made to such a poor specification. If they were only tougher, like say a cyborg being, it wouldn't phase them at all.....

g

Quote from: "uncloned"
Quote from: "g"

you know... when you come down to it the fault lies with the fact that people's bodies are made to such a poor specification. If they were only tougher, like say a cyborg being, it wouldn't phase them at all.....

I'm not sure about that. A cyborg also needs to deal with the EMP, right?

uncloned

vacuum tubes for the win!

they are unaffected by EMP and the Russians use them (or did) in fighter jets for instance to harden then against nukes. The Russians miniaturized vacuum tubes successfully.

g

That I didn't know. Cyborgs for the win, then!

Sam_Zen

OT. Nice you mention that, Clones. When developing electronics the west was quite cynical about the russian engineers,
to go on with their tubes instead of the tiny transistors.
The EMP told another story... I once used a machine for measuring capacitors, build with tubes (or 'valves').
It was meant to have a power of 110 v, but I connected to 220 v...
All worked fine, the tubes only gave a bit more light. :)