Main Menu

Ron Paul

Started by Louigi Verona, May 06, 2009, 17:08:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

How could I've missed this guy before? He seems to be a very interesting person to me. Basically, this is the real politician - with long term thinking.

g

I think he has some good ideas and some bad ideas.

Louigi Verona

He has IDEAS. Many other politicians' thinking is very short term. They do not have ideas, they think in terms of short term regulations, most notably - banning whatever stands in a way. A problem? No problem, just make everything that created it illegal and problem solved.

Rxn

A Wikipedia page about him.

Nothing new or extraordinary about his politics --- take the things done
the old way and do it the other way around.

g

Perhaps you could be more specific Louigi, as I fail to see anything revolutionary.

I have two examples:

1. dumping the patriot act: good idea.
2. leaving the UN: bad idea.

EDIT: examples are in context of my first post, not the second one which mainly is a question.

maleek

He seems like an interesting character.

"Paul advocates ending the war on drugs and supports decriminalization of marijuana at the federal level."

This sounds very positive to me. This would allow society to re-allocate resources towards treatment of addict instead of overpopulating the prison-system with small time users of illegal narcotics.

Sam_Zen

I'm not that interested in person with ideas. So far any revolution by persons has ended up in a deception.

Of course the 'war on drugs' is a very stupid one.
Especially when it's clear that resources of the see IA are funded by trade in coke or other harddrugs.
Of course cannabis use should be legal, but that's an open door.

maleek

"I'm not that interested in person with ideas. So far any revolution by persons has ended up in a deception."

I think there is a whole lot of truth to this statement.

Louigi Verona

QuoteI'm not that interested in person with ideas. So far any revolution by persons has ended up in a deception.

This is a very confusing statement.
If one has ideas, it doesn't mean those are revolutionary ideas. In fact, your statement is two not connected different statements. And the second one is pretty arguable, though in most cases I would believe it to be true.

Most difference between short term solutions and long term solutions is that long term solutions need one to extend his thinking a bit. Short term solutions are easy to follow and they usually involve simple actions, usually based on superficial conclusions (like the infamous "if people have more guns there'll be more violence") and usually involves just banning something and proclaiming it illegal. This kind of thinking is more like a temporary patch.

And anyway - if you are not interested in person with ideas, then who are you interested in?

g

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"usually based on superficial conclusions (like the infamous "if people have more guns there'll be more violence") and usually involves just banning something and proclaiming it illegal. This kind of thinking is more like a temporary patch.
I completely disagree with that statement. To me it seems that people buying guns to protect themselves is short term thinking.

About decriminalization of marijuana at a federal level, I think (from what little I've read) that he's basically against anything being decided at a federal level.

Sam_Zen

Sorry, Louigi, you indeed didn't mention the term "revolutionary".

Having ideas is fine of course. It's often the 'followers' of the ideas who start to make a mess.
Making interpretations that suits them personally well.
Then you get a list of 'forbidden' things, etc.

If there should be a list like that, smoking some plant is not a priority, but landmines are.

I'm interested in people with love, compassion, dignity and who are practising freedom of thought.

Rxn

Quotehe's basically against anything being decided at a federal level.

There is much more to this phrase than g even remotely suspects;)

It describes very well quite a diverse set of human behaviors in society.

Rxn

QuoteHaving ideas is fine of course.

Actually, there is no ideas. There is "ok, marijuana is illegal? Make it
legal! Is there a tax? Let's abolish the tax!
" He only negates what already
exists, he does not create anything.

QuoteIt's often the 'followers' of the ideas who start to make a mess.

Making interpretations that suits them personally well.

That is actually how everyone acts in any given circumstances.

Louigi Verona

QuoteHaving ideas is fine of course. It's often the 'followers' of the ideas who start to make a mess.

Yep, this is usually the case.

I guess the only way to keep a balance is to always concentrate on keeping a balance rather than trying to not make mistakes.

QuoteI completely disagree with that statement. To me it seems that people buying guns to protect themselves is short term thinking.

Reality shows that it is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoLuTjguJA

Some more extensive thinking also shows that it is a better solution. Just consider this carefully and you'll see for yourself.

g

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoLuTjguJA

Some more extensive thinking also shows that it is a better solution. Just consider this carefully and you'll see for yourself.
The USA has the highest rate of people killed by intentional gun violence. It also has the highest rate of guns per household. I did some extensive thinking and reached the conclusion that there just might be a connection.

There were some happy stories in that clip, where people flashed a gun and robbers ran off. What would have happened if the robbers had guns? Surely that clip was just part of the reality.

I'm sorry for thinking you meant revolutionary when you emphasized how he was different from other politicians.