[Album] bloss ein traum (ogg) (instrumental)

Started by cubaxd, August 04, 2008, 19:22:45

Previous topic - Next topic

cubaxd

Hi. I haven't released any mp3 album for a long time. so here is another one, after 6 months.
Some songs in the first part of this album might sound a little bit funny - but the  album - as a whole - is more depressing than funny. or at least pessimistic.

Oh and the cover is the best i've made so far. That's why i included it in this posting :)

m3u playlist

01-bloss ein traum - 1.9MB
02-skaal - 3.6MB
03-das fremde lied - 3MB
04-in der freiheit gefangen - 2.3MB
05-das selbe lied - 3.5MB
06-bloss ein traeumer - 2.9MB
07-warum so heiter - 1.7MB
08-naja - 1.1MB
09-name vergessen - 1.6MB
10-alles wird gut gewesen sein - 4.1MB
11-abgrund einer seele - 1.1MB
12-verdampft in alle ewigkeit - 2.6MB
13-wissen ist ohnmacht - 2.8MB
14-der traum ist aus - 4.5MB

uncloned

Sam_Zen

I guess, because it's an album, with track one :)

Nice to include the playlist, cubaxd.
01 - Beautiful, but also a hint of melancholic. A bit of a chinese atmosphere with that nice flute.

uncloned

so far the humor doesn't do much for me

but through track 13 I like the more classical-ish stuff a lot.

do you have a zip of the album somewhere?

If you don't mind I'd like to keep it.

cubaxd

Thanks to all people who gave/give it a listen.

@uncloned
Quoteack - an album - where do I start?
With track 1, then 4,5,6 and then 8 through 14. Tracks 2,3, and 7 are the bonus tracks at the end.
Are you hinting at the album's composition? :)
Quotebut through track 13 I like the more classical-ish stuff a lot.
nice to read that :)
Quotedo you have a zip of the album somewhere?
That would need twice the webspace and I haven't got that much of it. And another reason is my terribly slow upload speed :(
QuoteIf you don't mind I'd like to keep it.
Great

@Sam_Zen
QuoteNice to include the playlist, cubaxd.
This was your suggestion some time ago, wasn't it?
I also think this is much more practical, i.e. for people who wanna listen first, instead of downloading something they don't want.

Sam_Zen

QuoteThis was your suggestion some time ago, wasn't it?
Could be, Then I had local off-line use in mind, so I was surprised that it could be used for streaming, so I checked.
And of course the full URL of the tracks were there..
So I had to generate a new m3u for my own use (as you know I DL everything first), but I have a batch-file to do that.
(This is not a complaint by any means)

02 - Very funny. Could be fit in a cartoon movie.
03 - A strange song indeed. A charleston air, maybe because of the banjo.
04 - Also a 'fremdes lied''. I like the arrangement and the speed changes.

By the way, Mozilla has announced that the next Firefox 3.1 will have an integration for the OGG-format as default.
And, also by the way, a very nice cover.

cubaxd

Before I uploaded the music, I've compared the output of lame (mp3) with that of oggenc, and the quality of the oggs is much better than that of mp3s at the same bitrate. Maybe i'm just to stupid to use lame correctly (it has many command line options), but from now on I will use the ogg format :) It also has the advantage of being free.

QuoteCould be, Then I had local off-line use in mind
I see. Every good music player is able to create playlists, thus I think that it isn't so important to include one for local use :)

QuoteAnd, also by the way, a very nice cover.
Thanks :) I've created it using GIMP by laying 4 different photographs one over another and adjusting the transparency of each. Has a nice effect sometimes.

Sam_Zen

Quotethe quality of the oggs is much better than that of mp3s at the same bitrate.
Of course this stays a subjective issue, but I agree. Apart from being open-source as a strong argument,
I think the quality is better. Not so much in sound 'an sich', but better dynamics and preservation of the panorama.

If you want to get rid of command lines to convert things, I use some simple options with a GUI for this.
1. The 'droppers'. Simple apps that can convert WAV to a certain format and vice versa (also open source) :
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/download/oggdropxpd189.7z
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/download/lamedropxpd397.7z
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/download/flacdrop120.7z
They produce a small square box (settings via R-click). One of the rare occasions I use the drag-n-drop technique btw.
The 3rd one, FLAC, is a nice format for archiving original tracks, because it's non-destructive compression.
The file will be about half the size of the WAV.

The ogg format also has more fields in the ID3 tag to enter relevant data.
An editor for this can be found here

cubaxd

Thanks for your help, Sam. But I didn't use Windows since a long time. Actually, as I'm only using Linux (most of the time), I'm very happy at the command line. There are just some programs, like lame, where there are too many options (164 lines if you input 'lame --longhelp', most of the describe another option). And if all that options would find their place in a GUI, it would need a fullscreen window ;).

I was just wondering why the original wav files are much louder than the generated mp3s. I've tried to turn off the lowpass filter, but that didn't help. The generated oggs where at the same volume as the wavs - without the need of any special options. And that was actually what i wanted.

Sam_Zen

Sorry cubaxd, I didn't know about Linux.
I have nothing against command-lines either. Well, maybe the links are useful for other readers.
The OGG format also can contain multichannels by the way.

05 - Again a beautiful arrangement in time. With quite tender dynamics.
06 - An ingeneous mix of instruments here. A friendly dream I would say.
07 - Not my favorite piece of this album. Can't find a specific direction qua expression.
08 - I like the solo-sound. With a right dose of tiny portamento moments.

cubaxd

Thank you, Sam. I'm looking forward to the day when you arrive at track 13 :)

QuoteThe OGG format also can contain multichannels by the way.
What is that mean? Isn't this for DVDs or so, when you have a film in several languages?

Sam_Zen

Could be, I don't know much about the formats on a DVD, but several languages means several audio tracks.
And that's what it is. Ogg can not only be a stereo file, but also can have more audio tracks, simultaneously played.
Like my favorite, four channels, and the, not my favorite, 5.1 system, which has six channels.

09 - It indeed has the atmosphere of the title.
10 - Same thing as such, kind of nostalgic feeling of 'maybe missed chances'. I fancy the low brass.
11 - As for the theme, I consider this as maybe core material for a longer piece. It has more potential.
12 - Nice title again. But, alas, I have a pre-bias against the piano sound, so I would give it a 5.
13 - Well .. I shouldn't have mentioned that :) Passing that issue, I like this, because of the air of contemplation.
14 - Very good. I like the 'bassoon' from 3:13 on.

cubaxd

Sorry for my late response, I had a problem with my internet connection. The last two days I was really living behind the times.

Thank you again for reviewing, Sam :)

Quoteso I would give it a 5.
That brings back memories of my time in school ;)

KrazyKatz

Very good. I always enjoy listening to your stuff, though I don't always make the time to comment. Much appreciated though as always.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

uncloned

Thank you again.

I just downloaded it all and since you are behind a slow connection I value your effort in sharing your work even more.

Chris