[scape] Found her (XM)

Started by Sam_Zen, April 08, 2008, 05:00:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

cubaxd

Hi Sam
Dunno what to say
A great drone soundscape with a rather dark atmosphere.
I really like it.

Sam_Zen

Thanks, cubaxd.
Your 'Dunno what to say' is maybe a good description in my observation that there is few response on
some of my latest submissions on this forum. :)

Nahkranoth

This is great! I was walking the street listening to this track and when it finished playing I thought to myself: "There is something wrong with the street, that sound of cars and people just don't fit here" :D

bvanoudtshoorn

Cubaxd is right - it's a good drone piece. :) But I wondered what it would be like with a bit of reverb and delay on it... So I put some on (and tweaked the eq a bit, too). You can hear what it sounds like here.

Good stuff, Sam_Zen! :)

Sam_Zen

Excellent, Barry. This is exactly my idea about an electronic composition, and the use of it.
It can be interpreted or performed in different ways, just like two pianists with a Liszt piece.

There's a difference between using certain effects during the playback of the media-player, or
implementing such effects in a new performance of the piece.

Louigi Verona

Listened to Barry's version right from the start.
I liked the drone. It is a bit gloomy, but very nicely done! It even made me think of organizing an ambient compilation - sort of an event where people will write tunes or suggest tunes for an ambient compilation which will then be presented as a collective album.

cubaxd

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"It even made me think of organizing an ambient compilation - sort of an event where people will write tunes or suggest tunes for an ambient compilation which will then be presented as a collective album.
That's a good idea! I would suggest at least this tune (the version with reverb). And i would also try to make one to be part of the sampler. :) I think it would be worth a try. But there are questions like: how to organize this, and where to upload. And where to present  ;)

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, if you do want to run this, I have a system which will manage all the entries for you, let you present them in a nice way, and even (if you want) let people vote on them...

Sam_Zen

Certainly a nice idea. So, after some thinking, I want to express some remarks about this, to keep things transparent.

1) I consider my MOD and XM files as the composition, but still in a raw format.
Production for e.g. an album I will do in a multitracker editor, with exported channels, single or in groups, as WAVs.

2) I consider the codes and the order of the patterns as the score of the composition, so this should be kept unchanged normally.
As a consequence it means that it's possible to replace samples. Then the same composition is played by other instruments.

3) Imo 1 and 2 are the main possibilities that can be used to perform a work.
1 is the (post-)production, so the sound of the work stays intact, but it's a matter of mixing, adding effects, etc.
2 is what I call, the 'ensemble' variant, where the original score is played by (some) other sounds.

4) Extra conditions, like exceptions or restrictions, can be part of the composition.
It's preferrable to write this in the tracker-file itself (comments), but if it's too much, then in some readme.txt.

5) Adding another sample (cubaxd) is of course possible with a tracker. Replacement as in 2 is one thing, adding to the 'set' another.
It's like a guest playing a solo in an existing piece.

So regarding this one, T 12, I like to add some performance conditions.

6) Don't change the Tempo and Ticks/row. This is tuned with the length of the samples (they are not in loop-mode).

7) So, if replacing a sample by another one, it should have exactly the same byte-length (or an exact multiple or division).

8 ) There's one exception in this case about not changing the pattern-score :
Part of this composition is the possibility to increase the duration of the work by adding E6x at the last row of pattern 16.
So the pattern will be looped with a max of 16 times. This is the pattern with all instruments enabled.
If more time is needed, a duplicate of pattern 16 is allowed.
This should be the opportunity to add some 'solo' to the piece.

9) I sketched a webpage for this here.

EDIT: The previous written before the update with Barry's latest post.
Voting is not my first priority. I think 'compilation' is the concept here.

cubaxd

I assume, i'm the wrong person to run this, but i would in any case participate!
But i still have no concrete idea, how this could be organized. I mean, among other things, who would "lead" (coordinate) this project (not me :)). And the audio format: I'm thinking of a stream format, which could maybe be uploaded to archive.org or so to present modplug music in some way to the "outside world" ;)

@Sam: it looks like you would rather want a compilation consisting of mods (is this right?), because most of the paragraphs you outlined would apply only to a module file.

Maybe this idea will grow sometime to something more concrete. The best would be to look, how many people would actually participate and what ideas they eventually have for such a compilation. If there are, for example, only 3 persons who would contribute, it would probably make no sense.
Or maybe, we just pick out some already posted ambient pieces and make a compilation of it :-D

@Louigi: What do you think, i mean, what did you have in mind when you had the idea?

Anyone? :)

Louigi Verona

First of all, I was thinking of taking it one step at a time. First thing we have to do is compile carefully a very admirable collection of ambient/drone tunes.

Sam_Zen

There are two different kind of compilations I can think of here.

~ The one, Louigi mentions, a collection of ambient/drone tunes, so different compo's in the same genre.
~ Or a collection of 'performances' of the same tracker composition.

Quote from: "cubaxd"it looks like you would rather want a compilation consisting of mods
As a basic format during making the 'cover' of the song, yes.
It should be done on a MPT level basically. Because it has almost full control of the material of the composition.
But of course each result can be converted to a common MP3 or OGG for the final compilation. Another stage.

Quote from: "cubaxd"only 3 persons who would contribute, it would probably make no sense.
This would be so, if this would be some kind of contest. but I don't think that's the case here.

I see it more as an opportunity for an electronic song to develop in time by the performances of others.
Which is still quite rare in the el. scene. Everybody makes his/her own composition and that's it.
While in classical and pop music it's quite common that artists play a piece composed by someone else.

Regarding this particular thread, I made a basic version 4, because I discovered some left-over pat-loops.
http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/plainmods/foundher/T12_1_4s.7z

As another performance of the same piece I made a version with all non-vocal samples reversed :
http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/plainmods/foundher/T12_1_4s_r.7z

Then a production version using stereo rotation and slight flanging :
http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/plainmods/foundher/T12_1_4_01.ogg

And I made a playlist of the existing productions so far (OGG) as a model of a compilation :
http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/plainmods/foundher/foundher.m3u

I like to emphasize that this is not about pushing this particular composition.
I'm trying to describe a model to handle this with any module tracker file.
I've zipped the XM-files in the meantime.

Louigi Verona

QuoteAs a basic format during making the 'cover' of the song, yes.
It should be done on a MPT level basically. Because it has almost full control of the material of the composition.

As if other methods of music don't have full control.

About the idea in general - I meant a compilation from different artists from modplug and possibly TiS. Like - 10 very good tunes.

cubaxd

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I made a basic version 4, because I discovered some left-over pat-loops.
Just listened to v4s_r. This version doesn't sound that good because, i think some of the reverse played loops only sound good, if played in one direction.
Version 3 ist still my favorite :)

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"About the idea in general - I meant a compilation from different artists from modplug and possibly TiS. Like - 10 very good tunes.
I had about the same in mind. And why restricting this to one genre. There could also be compilations for other genres. I.e. different volumes, where subject of vol. 1 would be for example (Drone) Ambient  - always titled "The ModPlug Compilation" or the like, and always with different musicians, if possible. Would be great if we will do this ... somehow :-/