[Celtic Metal ?] Over the Moors (mp3)

Started by nads20489, April 25, 2008, 04:34:41

Previous topic - Next topic

nads20489

Here is a medley I wrote recently which sounds to me like Celtic metal, if there is such a thing. I called it Over the Moors and Through the Quagmires. I don't know for sure if there are quagmires in Ireland, but I envisioned riding a pegasus at full speed over the moors and hills on the coast of Ireland (and catching some air every once in a while).

http://download.modplug.com/index.php?action=downloads&id=1826

Sam_Zen

Medley ? What medley ? I hear a song of which I think : This is very nice. Great sounds. Then it stops suddenly.
At a moment where I would expect : Now it comes..
So to enjoy this a bit, I had to set this song in a loop mode.

nads20489

Yeah, the incompleteness as a song overall is why I refer to it as a medley :)  I tend to get distracted by other stuff before I have time to convert my medleys into songs.  I dare say that my "song" collection would flabbergast you (I have never heard "flabbergast" in that form, but it sounds ok). If you thought my mp3.com site was bad for incomplete songs, it gets much worse.  I usually get bored of an idea before I have fleshed it out.

I understand what you mean when you say, "a moment where I would expect : Now it comes.. ".  I often feel the same way, but then I think, "now comes...what?  Eh, it sounds better if I stick a 'temporary' ending on it then just leave it with that pattern at the end."

Sam_Zen

QuoteI usually get bored of an idea before I have fleshed it out.
How come ? Bored in what way ? By listening or thinking of adding some more to it ?

I checked mp3.com and DL'd "Non2a". Also a short piece.
Nothing wrong with that. You write about 'incomplete songs'. I don't consider works like this as incomplete.
But I wouldn't call it a 'song' either (a story). I see this as composing a 'structure', not a song (a situation).

That's why I think it's a pity, that the end of Non2a is not capable of a flawless jump to the start.
So I did some editing to come up with a loopable version of Non2a, just for fun.
Of course with the module version this is easier to achieve.

Nahkranoth

Gawd! Why it's so short? (Though I tend to like your melodies, nads :D )
The first question (I wanted to ask it earlier in your other thread):
You're using Slayer, right? So why not to use powerchord mode for the rhythm guitar? (I can be wrong and you using it already, but maybe that's why it sounds kinda thin to me)
I hope someday we'll hear an extended version of this interesting track :)

nads20489

Sam_Zen:
It's probably better to say that I drop projects because after the initial several hours when ideas are flowing and I am laying down the song in the image of what I have in my mind, progress slows down and I have a hard time following through.
It's interesting that you refer to my composition as "composing a 'structure', not a song (a situation)", because I feel the same way after having looked at my style of composing, and I think it is the main factor holding back my progress as a musician. I believe it has to do with the way I listen to music usually, which is much more focused on structure and the actual sound than meaning or intention behind the music.
Do you have any tips on improving in this area?

Nahkranoth:
It is very short. One reason for this song is that I began working on it at the same time I began working on another song, so I did not get as in-depth with either one.
Yes, I use Slayer2, but I do not often use the powerchord mode because I feel like it is a lot less flexible than creating the chords manually, although I should probably experiment with it in my songs some more.
I also hope this track gets extended someday. If only they sortof grew or extended themselves when they sat in your songs folder for months untouched. When I get more free time, I plan to revisit many many songs which I have abandoned along the way, and I will redo a lot of them.

Sam_Zen

If any, first tip : don't mind about the meaning or intention behind the music.
You create something, and others can experience the work. Interpretations can't be controlled.
Your story will be different from the story of the listener.

Focusing on a structure is very ok in the electronic environment. But you also mention 'the image of what I have in my mind'.
Both elements 'structure' and 'image' are static properties. An image is not supposed to be a movie.
So there maybe are at least 3 choices of composition :
1) Present the single structure, but make sure it can be used in a looped way.
2) Present the single structrure, and add an intro and an outro,
3) Use the single structure to make a composition in time, by e.g. playing with the internal instruments, while repeating pats.