I can't handle the music!

Started by Waxhead, July 13, 2007, 15:36:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Waxhead

I like music off course but when I'm at work I simply can't handle it.
I find it hard to concentrate and feels constantly annoyed of the sound all day. I also noticed that I make more mistakes that I do normally.
For the most of the time i also dislike the music they play where I work but also when there (seldom) is played music I do like I still find it hard to do my work as long as this music is played. Is this really just me who have this problem or is there anyone else who feel the same?!

KrazyKatz

I know what you mean. If its music I cant stand then it just annoys the hell out of me all day. If its general tolerable stuff I can handle it and it becomes background. If I like it though, for me it becomes the most distracting since I start focusing on it. Do you have the same problem when listening to music while you drive?
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Waxhead

I never listen to music when I drive. I sometimes listen to music when the car is stopped or if I for some reason eat in the car but that's it ;)

dBlues

I get the best ideas after not listening to music for a while. Everything starts sounding more fresh, its hard to explain but I understand how you must feel. If you must concentrate on annoying music instead of work, it gets to you.
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Waxhead"I like music off course but when I'm at work I simply can't handle it.
Any music style dependence on that - does all styles annoy alike?

Waxhead

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "Waxhead"I like music off course but when I'm at work I simply can't handle it.
Any music style dependence on that - does all styles annoy alike?

More or less yes. Strange right? - However vocals where the person is SCREAMING instead of singing is particular annoying.
What makes this really sick is the fact that if there is a motor running or any other mechanical sounds that does not bother me (much).

LPChip

Appearantly, you like music that much that you have the need to follow it.

With mechanical sounds, you don't care so you're able to ignore them.

I can listen to instrumental songs while learning and its great, but when they start to sing, my mind automatically tries to hear that too, so I can't learn at the same time also.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Waxhead

Quote from: "LPChip"With mechanical sounds, you don't care so you're able to ignore them.
Not always :) sometimes when I hear mechanical sounds like clicks, whirrs and other sounds like a engine I enjoy listening to it.

JimGin

I tend to enjoy all kinds of music, i just love the fact im able to experience it :D
ofcourse i still have my main category.
Rob Hubbard rulez!
"If LPChip didn`t exist, neither would I"

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Waxhead"sometimes when I hear mechanical sounds like clicks, whirrs and other sounds like a engine I enjoy listening to it.
Isn't that one sort of music :)

Waxhead

Quote from: "Waxhead"sometimes when I hear mechanical sounds like clicks, whirrs and other sounds like a engine I enjoy listening to it.
Depends on how insane you are :D

LPChip

Quote from: "Waxhead"
Depends on how insane you are :D

That says enough :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

Quotesometimes when I hear mechanical sounds like clicks, whirrs and other sounds like a engine I enjoy listening to it.

I remember listening to this dumpster with a heavy decibel bass, and I imagined it as the bass of a choir and built all the other voices over it in my mind. Such was the nature of guard duty :)
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Sam_Zen

If I'm at work, which means writing sound, image or text, I would be very annoyed by any kind of background music.
And distracted. And, because I work a lot with sound, I have long periods for months, where I hardly ever play a record, even
outside work time, because I'm just fed up listening to something all the time.

A writer's block is nothing to worry about. It just will come back eventually, if one is serious with his craft.
A matter of being patient. Inspiration or creativity can't be forced. If the urge is there, the egg will grow until it gets too big to hold. If such a block happens to me, I just concentrate on other activities within my interests for a while.

Waxhead obviously is forced to listen to music while he's working, so that's another situation.
One way to get it out of the negative, is to use it a hearing training instead of being an audience. Engines were mentioned here.
A good example. So with that music, one can listen to the parallel sound environment as well. Focusing on one sound in the total and see how it deals with the rest. The beat of the music combined with the repetitive sounds of some machine in the
distance.

Nothing insane about liking the sound of an engine. It's part of our human sound spectrum anyway. A area between the lowest
tonal notes, and the rhythmical patterns with a much lower repeat frequency.

Waxhead

Well said Sam_Zen
However I have this problem that I am unable to "block out" sounds in my head. I never had this ability unlike many others. But Sam have a great tip here. Trying to combine sound from something with sound from something else. I guess you are trying to say that it is a good idea to combine sounds even if one sound is very dominating. Usually you combine sounds that are roughly of the same loudness when you walk around and you can find interesting combinations. But if a sound is to dominating it can be a problem to combine it with something else. However it is still possible if you listen careful enough :)