Make Windows Look and Sound Like Mac OS X

Started by Really Weird Person, July 27, 2007, 03:51:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

Are you tired of Windows XP's theme? Do you want to feel like you are in school again? Here is a program that can help with that!
Note:  Your taskbar may stay on the bottom! Mine did for some reason (even though I do not have the "Move Taskbar to the Bottom of the screen." box checked)! If it does, and you figure out a way to fix it (without uninstalling and reinstalling the program preferably), please post it! Thanks.
http://www.flyakiteosx.com/

älskling

Right-click on an empty space of the taskbar and make sure "lock taskbar" is unchecked. Then try just dragging it to the top.

LPChip

There are also visual styles with a MacOS skin.

You can use programs like WindowBlinds or StyleXP to give your computer the MacOS look.

StyleXP doesn't use much resources, and can be run resource free, simply because it uses Windows XP's own style engine.

You can also patch the dll for displaying XP themes, so it allows you to use unsigned skins. From my head its ux_theme.dll.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

That is true, I can drag the taskbar to the top. I did not think of that before (probably because I expected it to be on top in the first place!) There, fixed! Now it looks even more like Mac OS (but is still Windows)!

LPChip

Its also possible to make your windows XP look like windows 3.11 :)

This tweak is a bit different than just installing/running a program. It requires some editing in a file, and a restart. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

So there are no programs for Windows 3.11, but if you modify certain files, it should work? Strange
FlyakiteOSX also requires a restart.
Here is something that would be weird. Making Windows look like Palm OS! Now that would be tricky probably! I suppose that you could probably make Windows look like almost anything that you want as long as you have the resources (and the knowledge)!

LPChip

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"So there are no programs for Windows 3.11, but if you modify certain files, it should work? Strange
Here is something that would be weird. Making Windows look like Palm OS! Now that would be tricky probably! I suppose that you could probably make Windows look like almost anything that you want as long as you have the resources (and the knowledge)!

In your windows directory, there's a file called win.ini

If you edit it with notepad, you can locate a line called: shell=explorer.exe

If you change this for shell=progman.exe, then on restart, your taskbar and startmenu will be gone, and a windows 3.11 interface will return. Ofcource, you can still run all your Windows XP programs, but they'll behave like it was in windows 3.11. (its a fun thing to do if you want to do a prank on someone :))

Snu

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Really Weird Person"So there are no programs for Windows 3.11, but if you modify certain files, it should work? Strange

In your windows directory, there's a file called win.ini

If you change this for shell=progman.exe, then on restart, your taskbar and startmenu will be gone, and a windows 3.11 interface will return. Ofcource, you can still run all your Windows XP programs, but they'll behave like it was in windows 3.11. (its a fun thing to do if you want to do a prank on someone :))

actually you have to edit the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon :
shell=progman.exe

doesnt seem to work tho, i dont have progman.exe... maybe i ripped it out with nlite. oh well.

älskling

Quote from: "LPChip"In your windows directory, there's a file called win.ini

Are you sure you don't mean windows 9x (instead of XP)?

EDIT: Clarification

LPChip

Its indeed the procedure for win9x/me.

The progman.exe is located in /windows/system32/progman.exe

Maybe entering the path also will do the trick, oh, and if explorer is loaded already, you can't run progman.exe.