Why no installer?

Started by geralds, January 10, 2007, 22:10:08

Previous topic - Next topic

geralds

I've just discovered OpenMPT and it looks great!

I was wondering why there isn't an installer for OpenMPT (or did I download the wrong file?) If it's something you'd be interested in, I'd be happy to put a test installer together (I was thinking of a simple InnoSetup installer: double-click and it's there, registry taken care of, file associations if the user wants them, everything is in C:\Program Files, etc.).

If you've got InnoSetup installed, I could just post a script for review.

If you think it would be useful, let me know!
-Gerald

LPChip

We might indeed do something like this for the RC2, but there's nothing that really installs. Just a matter of copying the files. Its not even possible to put each new beta release in an installer.

I think Rewbs is the best person to answer this question though. I'll give him a link to this topic.

Thanks for the initiative though.

EDIT: oh by the way, does the script also is able to discover other directories than C:\Program Files if the system is configured to have the program files dir to another path? (I believe that is %ProgramFiles%)

And is it possible to add shortcuts on demand?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

geralds

<there's nothing that really installs. Just a matter of copying the files>
The advantage with Inno Setup is that it allows the user to accept the license and choose default file associations. It also ensures those associations fetch an application-defined icon, that the uninstaller is registered with Windows, that there is a start menu folder, and so on.

If you'd like to see an example of what I have in mind, you could check out my project at http://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net. It's not a music program, but the Windows installer uses Inno Setup.

<EDIT: oh by the way, does the script also is able to discover other directories than C:\Program Files if the system is configured to have the program files dir to another path? (I believe that is %ProgramFiles%)>
Yes, I think it does that out of the box. (I'm not specifying C:\Program Files anywhere.)

<And is it possible to add shortcuts on demand?>
Absolutely.

<Its not even possible to put each new beta release in an installer.>
How many of these do you release? I tend to create a full installer each time I update the program (running the script only takes a few seconds). Inno Setup takes care of existing installations and overwrites files as required.

-Gerald

LPChip

Quote from: "geralds"

<Its not even possible to put each new beta release in an installer.>
How many of these do you release? I tend to create a full installer each time I update the program (running the script only takes a few seconds). Inno Setup takes care of existing installations and overwrites files as required.

-Gerald

For the past few months there haven't been an update, but before that we've had updates usually rather frequently. Besides, you don't want to install each update, as its a single file which needs to be replaced.

But yet again, I think this call should be made by Rewbs.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs