I'm leaving you =[

Started by SoundCrafter, December 20, 2006, 01:14:40

Previous topic - Next topic

SoundCrafter

That's right. I am. I'm leaving you guys (it's ruff) and Modplug entirely. I'm moving on to the slightly-more-professional-albeit-somewhat-corrupt world of sequencers. I want to write electronica (and music in general) for a living, and I don't think I can move up with Modplug. I've already learned Reason, and that's what I'll be using. It's more than hard to leave this great community, and I'll never forget the people who got me started.

Thanks guys!
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Sam_Zen

MisterX

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"That's right. I am. I'm leaving you guys (it's ruff) and Modplug entirely. I'm moving on to the slightly-more-professional-albeit-somewhat-corrupt world of sequencers.

I use Reason and Cubase, and I'm still here... ;)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

speed-goddamn-focus

I use FL Studio, and I'm still here... ;)

LPChip

I have used sequencers in the past and I'm still here too :)

True, I mainly use MPT because it can do virtually anything that a sequencer can do too only in another way and sometimes a bit with lots of work where a sequencer could do that easier, but on the other side, a tracker is so much easier to work with...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

My aim is also professional, and I focus on orchestral. I recently learned Cubase and find it great for Mixing, but find OMPT for the composition process allows a much greater freedom at fine tuning. You would do well to remember OMPT. Its an additional tool in your workshed.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

I forgot to mention, that I'm also working in a professional manner. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

mrvegas

Don't leave so soon -- I just got here.

Seriously, though, I use sequencers for more "pop" or dance type stuff where I want to let synths sort of run on auto-pilot (arpeggiators, pattern-gates, step-sequencers, etc.)

But for classical-style music where I need to see notes side-by-side, nothing can beat a tracker.  I've used Psycle for a while, and am starting to come over to MPT more.  First, MPT can save\import mods in just about any format.  Second, MPT has great sample interpolation quality and sample playback features.  (I had almost entirely gone over to VSTIs -- now I'm using samples more again.)  MPT's effects chaining features let me export a wav file that is pretty much finished except for minor trimming.  (This is possible in Psycle and most sequencers, of course, but I find MPT's workflow easier.)  Finally, I find a volume column easier to work with than envelopes.

MPT is also actively being developed and improved.  The only real downside to MPT is a lack of complete documentation -- the wiki is helpful, but a little out of date and incomplete.  Fortunately, you guys on the forum are great.

MisterX

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Its an additional tool in your workshed.

Absolutely.  Just because one "goes pro" doesn't mean that OMPT isn't useful, quite the opposite.  It becomes a tool that, most likely, other people in the "pro" field have never heard of - that gives you an advantage.

In fact, most of the other "pros" who have heard of OMPT are right here in this forum. ;)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

SoundCrafter

It's true, I definetly didn't consider ever leaving OMPT completely. Sometimes it's quite nice to have around. And I'll probably still stick around here somewhat. Maybe not as much as I used to but that'll probably be good for me, right?  :lol: Also, if anyone would like to stay in touch, I've got a (relatively dull, at the moment) MySpace Music account at www.myspace.com/djsoundcrafter (Remember when he had the discussion about using "DJ" in your name? I went against it  :lol:. Although I suppose I could be like Tiesto and use it invariably.  :lol: )

Drop me a line, if ya feel like it.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Sam_Zen

2 mrvegas
Your statement have nearly all the arguments in a nutshell, very nice.
And I like to add, that a tracker is not only suitable from a classical-style point of view. Before trackers I worked with analog synths and did some years programming, mostly in machine-language. In both fields I was used to have maximum control on the events that should take place. No presets or auto-pilots. I recognized this potential again in tracker modules, so to me it's not so much notes, but codes side-by-side :)

A discussion about professionalism stays a rather vague one, because it depends on the definition of it. It can mean that one is able to earn money with tracking. It could also be about the way of doing it, with determination and a serious approach. And of course one idea doesn't need to exclude the other one.

ImagineAZ

I was browsing through old threads, and I have only one remark about this one: imagine if Cubase had only a Wiki manual.