need OpenMPT a installer?

Started by pera, September 01, 2006, 20:56:49

Previous topic - Next topic

pera

I can make a NSIS installer with the last version of openmpt.
I think that is more "professional" for a software project, distribute it with a installer...

..and i like help modplug project, because i use it =)

Sam_Zen

So far I didn't have had any problem with installing OpenMPT. Besides that, even if the process would go in a smoother way, one often have to pay the price : the dreadful 'registry' gets involved. Or an installer with no thorough 'custom' options, no way.
The argument of "professional" is a bit ridiculous, because OMPT is already very professional. Meaning a solid product, with high accessability and quality, made by real craftmanship.

pera

yeah... i know that my argument is ridiculous xD, but:
- options can be    the platform, instalation dir. and the initial configuration (like sound, vst dirs)
- the only registy key that you need is for the uninstall program

i never said that the openmpt isn't professional, i only want help with the project... and i think that a installer is better for the user..

speed-goddamn-focus

if you want to help with the project then adding to the wiki is a very good thing :)

as for an installer, I'm not sure it's necessary. I think that people inclined to use a tracker would be fairly experienced with computers anyway... but a beginners pack (actually there used to be a beginners pack, perhaps there still is somewhere?) would be nice, with some example modules.

MisterX

Yes, the old QuickStart Kit was very popular.  It would be great if someone could be in charge of a new QuickStart Kit.

The problem with the QSKit is that the MPT.exe file has to be updated every time there is a new release, and since it was all compiled into an installer, it made it incovenient to keep it updated.

The old QSKit contained the Tracker (of course) along with Aryx.s3m as an example module, a text format of the MPT Tutorial, a *.DLS file for MIDI import, some free VST effects and a couple of free instruments.

Is anyone up to making a new QSKit?
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

Waxhead

Regarding installers for ModPlug I would like to reccomend Inno setup who is a very stable and simple to use installer creator ... and btw it's free:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "MisterX"Is anyone up to making a new QSKit?
sure, I'll take a stab at it. I'd like to help in anyway I can. I've got the old QS around my comp somewhere, I can dig it out.

Things I'd like to add to it:
-A categorized (Brass, Drums, Drum Loops) list of sample websites in html format.
-more samples, VSTs, and VSTis. I can think of a few 'starter'  synths that would work great.
-A new demo song. Aryx was ok (Who wrote that anyway? I need to give them credit for their samples I used in Instrumentation), but it didn't show all the effects that could be used (especially since the updates)

Anyone want to help me with this?
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Whatever you do, try not to make the filesize too big. People do not want to download 50 mb for a program that is 2 mb by itself.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Snu

Quote from: "LPChip"Whatever you do, try not to make the filesize too big. People do not want to download 50 mb for a program that is 2 mb by itself.
if they do, they will download buzz :)

i would definitely suggest including sfz among the vst, and a couple small soundfonts.
maybe we can get the board regulars to compose a few short smalltunes that showcase some of mpt's strong or unique features (like hipass filter, alternate tempo method, macros), and that use the included vst/samples.

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "LPChip"Whatever you do, try not to make the filesize too big. People do not want to download 50 mb for a program that is 2 mb by itself.

Of course. I'd focus more on the catergorized sample site list then actual samples.  I speak from knowledge when I say this:

I don't know how many of you (IF any) knew this, but I make simple computer games (nowhere NEAR LPChip's studio or Tolworthy's). It's so damn funny, because the game making program includes a few sample images and whatnot to use. And just about everyone's first game uses some or all of those images. I don't want this to happen with modplug (even though I did it with Instrumentation) so we'll put more focus on a sample list.

@snu: sfz? Sounds familiar. Can't quite remember what it is, though.  

As for sample songs, I'll do one.  Or even better, if you've ever seen Renoise tracker, they've got sample songs AND tutorials.
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Snu

sfz is a soundfont player vsti, best one out there that ive seen, and probably the most widely used.

speed-goddamn-focus

Don't forget about the legal aspects... If you include plugins, samples and/or modules, be sure to check with the authors first. Free doesn't always mean you are allowed to distribute it.

SoundCrafter

Right you are, SGF. I'll put together a list of plugins that should go in, and start contacting the authors.

SoundCrafter

Alright, for now, here's what might be going in:
>sfz
>LFX-1310 (My personal favorite)
>FreeVerb Too
>Synth1
>Triangle II?

And here's an example of what I'll be sending out to the FX authors:
QuoteDear (Author Name),
You are recieving this email because your exceptional(plugin/soundfont/etc.)(name of plugin/etc.) has been selected for inclusion in the Modplug Tracker QuickStart Kit.

Modplug Tracker is currently one of the leading freeware music production programs available. If you choose to include your plugin with this software, it has the potential to be seen by hundreds or even thousands of people.

Of course, as the author of this excellent (plugin/soundfont/etc.) you will recieve proper credit.  Please reply with your answer as soon as possible
--Bret M. AKA SoundCrafter

Also, since Hard-Tex was the main contributor to the "Samples" topic, I'll ask him what his personal favorites are. Remember we need to cater to a large audience, not just what you write.  
Tell me what you think.

Oh, and @LP:  Your comment about 50mb for a 2mb prog is true, but have you ever downloaded winamp? They load it with so much *good* crap that you practically HAVE to download the 7.2meg premium version!  That's kinda what I want to accomplish here, but obviously, I won't be going above 10megs+...Hopefully.

pera

sfz? why?? use ompt sampler for this..