Newbie here

Started by Illfigure, February 23, 2024, 03:07:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Illfigure

Hi, I'm a new guy here, and I'm interested in becoming an OpenMPT artist, but I don't really know where to start. 

little info about myself, I'm Illfigure. I'm from Indonesia and am an introvert who enjoys wasting precious time listening to music (ex: stuff like Venetian Snares, Terminal 11, and Bogdan Raczynski) and other not very productive activities. I'm in the late stages of high school and will continue to college (if I pass). not a very disciplined person. I'm honestly easily discouraged when hearing of other people who are younger and more skilled than me, and it's also hard to commit to doing things I want to do. I suppose i should really work more on doing things i like for myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkmWKVX5Cdc <--this video is what introduced me to this software. Because it's free, I'm instantly interested.

I want to be a jungle/rave/breakcore artist (though this early on, breakcore is probably impossible for me). My only tool is an ASUS laptop and nothing else, so figuring out notes is hard. I'm hoping to get a midi keyboard when I'm older. So far, I've only played around and made some simple bars using the "breakcore is not a good way to get laid" sample pack and some others (attached below are some examples). I'm not ready to make a full track because I don't know how to properly structure a song. At the very least, I want to make something comprehensible. any help? (Things I Should Know About OpenMPT, Tutorials, Sample Packs, Tricks and Tips, and Plug-Ins, maybe even motivations?) 

Sorry if my English is kind of crap, and I can't really write long and correct paragraphs. 

I hope I can commit to being a tracker artist.
Nice meeting y'all! ;D

Vojvodinosaurus

Here's hoping breakcore becomes more popular than trap...
Anyways, i'm glad there's significant interest in breakcore and i'm sure in a few years you'll be established in the underground. Just one tip: make sure each pattern is unique and nothing is repeating as i think that's the beauty of breakcore: everything random yet enjoyable!

As for jungle and rave: just keep it as oldschool as possible!

I have faith in you ;)
!IMPORTANT!
You are allowed to remix my songs ONLY in TRANCE/GOA/PSYTRANCE GENRE and NO Trap HiHat Rolls PLEASE
My stuff: https://alonetone.com/vojvodinosaurus

Exhale

Well voj is kinda right in the 'dont repeat' kinda thing, but the general rule of thumb (as someone who makes house and trance mostly) is you repeat it twice at the most and after that it becomes structural...
And the other big rule is that there are no rules unless you want there to be, then give yourself rules - genres have their own ways of doing things and conforming to a genre is all about knowing the rules so you can break them in good ways :)
Good luck in your journey, and to help you along the way, i suggest downloading .it, .s3m, and particularly .mptm files to give you technique hints and lessons along the way, by learning from other ppls code you can be tracking like a pro sooner.

Saga Musix

It's not an exaggeration that trackers like OpenMPT are traditionally more difficult to get started with, due to their quirky and technical nature. But for some genres this nature can actually be beneficial. Don't expect to make a masterpiece as your first track - no matter which software. If things like this discourage you (as it sounds from your first paragraph), you will probably first have to find a way to work around that. Persistence is key. Keep practicting, practicing, practicing, look how other people use trackers (see Exhale's tip: download existing modules and dissect their patterns and instruments). All of this will help getting better over time, but it's a gradual process (see also this topic).

If you like a genre like and what to make something resembling this genre, it is always important to understand what makes this genre what it is. Are there typical chord progressions, typical drum sequences, typical samples associated with the genre? These are things that can be learned independently of the software you are using. For example classic Jungle music is associated with a handful of breakbeat samples that have been used in almost every track of the genre, and with lush pads from 90s digital synthesizers (often processed through a sampler). You can obtain all these resources independently of the software they will be used in, and for many genres they are well-documented (be it in YouTube videos or textual descriptions).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.