Author Topic: Instrument groups  (Read 212 times)

Offline mrdahlgren

• Shy artist
Instrument groups
« on: July 27, 2020, 09:49:06 »
Hi!

To my understanding multilayered soundfonts only imports a single layer, correct?
I would like to implement such a feature myself, but maybe a bit simpler...

How difficult would it be to create instrument groups?
What I mean is the ability for say instrument 1-4 to belong to a group.
Group Instruments splits the volume range between them. Volumes 1-40 is played by first Group instrument, 40-80 second... and so on.

You could then use the value from the volume row to switch instrument.

Is this a huge undertaking?

Sorry if Im mistaken about multilayered soundfonts!

Regards,
Martin

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Re: Instrument groups
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 16:34:14 »
This is a rather vague formulated idea so it's hard to estimate how difficult it would be. If this is only meant to make editing easier (and not actually modify the playback routines / file format), it might reasonably to do - in fact, keyboard splits already exist in the pattern editor (Edit -> Split Keyboard Settings) but they split based on the note that you input, not based on the volume.
Either way, this is a complex topic that needs to be well-thought through because there are many pitfalls in particular if it's going to modify instrument definitions or anything related to playback routines.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline mrdahlgren

• Shy artist
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 10:56:00 »
Thanks for answering!

I'll look into it. As a start I try to just make a python script to set it up outside of mpt. Its not really something that has to process in realtime.

Regards,
Martin.

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 16:58:12 »
Yeah, that would probably be the easiest way to approach it. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.