Instrument groups

Started by mrdahlgren, July 27, 2020, 09:49:06

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdahlgren

Hi!

To my understanding multilayered soundfonts only imports a single layer, correct?
I would like to implement such a feature myself, but maybe a bit simpler...

How difficult would it be to create instrument groups?
What I mean is the ability for say instrument 1-4 to belong to a group.
Group Instruments splits the volume range between them. Volumes 1-40 is played by first Group instrument, 40-80 second... and so on.

You could then use the value from the volume row to switch instrument.

Is this a huge undertaking?

Sorry if Im mistaken about multilayered soundfonts!

Regards,
Martin

Saga Musix

This is a rather vague formulated idea so it's hard to estimate how difficult it would be. If this is only meant to make editing easier (and not actually modify the playback routines / file format), it might reasonably to do - in fact, keyboard splits already exist in the pattern editor (Edit -> Split Keyboard Settings) but they split based on the note that you input, not based on the volume.
Either way, this is a complex topic that needs to be well-thought through because there are many pitfalls in particular if it's going to modify instrument definitions or anything related to playback routines.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

mrdahlgren

Thanks for answering!

I'll look into it. As a start I try to just make a python script to set it up outside of mpt. Its not really something that has to process in realtime.

Regards,
Martin.

Saga Musix

Yeah, that would probably be the easiest way to approach it. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.