MPT in the near future

Started by Diamond, May 23, 2006, 03:05:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Diamond

Hey Rewbs, not that there's any rush, but I'm just curious.  Are you currently working on any new major features for the next RC?  And if so, could you give us an idea of what to expect and maybe an approximate time frame for a release date?  Just want to get a sense of what's in store for MPT in the near future.

l8

Quote from: "Diamond"Hey Rewbs, not that there's any rush, but I'm just curious.  Are you currently working on any new major features for the next RC?  And if so, could you give us an idea of what to expect and maybe an approximate time frame for a release date?  Just want to get a sense of what's in store for MPT in the near future.
agreed. we want to know;)
nothing here-

rewbs

I have written very little code for OpenMPT over the past few months. My current sandbox build has a few in-progress bug fixes and nothing more. However, I do have some (old) incomplete code for improved VST param control from the patterns (i.e. a replacement for macros) and for better routing between plugins. Both of these had put on hold while waiting for the new fileformat to become a reality... on which there hasn't been much progress. I do not have a date for the next RC.

Sorry, this probably isn't what you wanted to hear. :)

LPChip

So to put the content in the right sentence:

MPT In the near future: Nothing changes :nuts: :lol:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Great, this means there is plenty of room for suggestions!

Rakib

i think it means more at we have to find others that can help rewbs to keep up the development of this superb software. I hope someday MPT can one day can compete with renoise compare to functions.

vst and how many built in effects in once.
^^

LPChip

Nah, it simply means that Rewbs has a life ;)

He is currently busy, but that doesn't mean he will be occupied for the rest of his life. I'm sure that if that would've been the case, he would've said so in the first place.

Just give him some time to get things sorted out and gain some more free time. MPT is a great piece of software that with the latest beta build is quite stable. (Stable enough to not crash at my end, and most others either cus I don't see bug reports)

Rewbs probably will keep the bug support online while he is busy which means that any serious bug will be looked into and fixed where possible.

And don't forget, we also have Relabsoluness.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Diamond

I do agree that getting more developers involved would definitely be a good thing.  More developers would mean new features and would take some of the weight off of Rewbs' shoulders.  Is there any place where we could put out a call for people with the necessary programming skills and who might be interested?  Maybe on SourceForge?

LPChip

Before doing so, I'd like to have Rewbs's confirmation.

He's the best person to decide if its better or worse at this time to have an additional programmer in the team.

rewbs

Initially I'd be checking in any patches myself from new developers, but after a few good patches they'd get full commit rights to the code. So it wouldn't necessarily be much work for me once they know their way around. I'm always happy answer questions about the code as best as I can and help out with bugs.  Relabsoluness might be able to help show new devvers around too.

The main problem with getting devvers working on OpenMPT is that the codebase is old. This means it is difficult to work with due to cruft, and it is not exciting for devvers who want to be playing with new technology, modern techniques etc... Consequently most devvers look at the code and want to redesign from scratch rather than hack away - which is the perfect recipe for vapourware and devvers who disappear into thin air after a few emails about UML diagrams. :) IMHO people who would stay on and make significant contributions would also be avid users and fans of MPT, rather than misc people who know C++. With this in mind, any contributions are welcome so feel free to ask around for help.

Rakib

what is the language and what is required for program for MPT, maybe I can request for programmers at a another forum.
^^

rewbs

Quote from: "Rakib"what is the language and what is required for program for MPT, maybe I can request for programmers at a another forum.
I would say requirements are (in order of importance):
. Visual Studio .NET 2003.
. Substantial experience in the use of MPT (and preferably OpenMPT too :) ).
. Some knowledge of C/C++. There's some ASM too in the low level mixing routines but you don't necessarily need to touch it (I haven't).
. Some knowledge of MFC.
. Experience with Subversion and developing on Sourceforge would be cool too.

Snu

if it didnt require visual studio, id at least try to help out, unfortunately i dont have a copy... that and i suck at programming. :p

Poser

Quote from: "rewbs"and for better routing between plugins.

Yeah! Hope this is the long-awaited modular system ;)

Relabsoluness

The visual studio requirement indeed seems quite an obstacle. Recently as I examined things a bit hoping that I would find a way to get one, the new VS2005 standard edition had a price over 300 ?, which doesn't seem that nice.

Quote from: "rewbs"...and devvers who disappear into thin air after a few emails about UML diagrams. :)
sigh