MPT in the near future

Started by Diamond, May 23, 2006, 03:05:10

Previous topic - Next topic

rewbs

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"The visual studio requirement indeed seems quite an obstacle.

I agree, and I'm not sure what we need to do to eliminate this dependency. My guess is remove MFC dependency and some of the ASM. In other words, lots of work. :) I could be wrong though.. it would be cool if we could figure out how to get it to build is VS2k5 Express.

yrk

Removing the dependency on MFC all together is probably gonna be difficult but it shouldn't impossible...

wxWidgets is one alternative which is fairly feature complete and well documented. And there's actually an article here about porting MFC applications to wxWidgets...

The assembler shouldn't be that big a deal... There are at least a couple of free assemblers out there, including the one in gcc...

I would really like to see OpenMPT being freed from Visual Studio and MFC and moved to a completely free and open source development environment... It would make it alot easier for others to contribute...

Cygwin would actually be one such possibility as it provides most of the normal (on Unix platforms anyway) GNU'ish development tools... Using Cygwin as a dev. platform will also make it easier if porting to Linux/Unix is ever seriously considered. And it's even possible to build native Win32 applications under Cygwin that don't require anything Cygwin stuff to run...
while (1) { fork(); }

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "yrk"I would really like to see OpenMPT being freed from Visual Studio and MFC and moved to a completely free and open source development environment... It would make it alot easier for others to contribute...
Free tools indeed would be nice, but on the other hand I must admit that compared e.g. to devcpp and Code::blocks, I have found visual studio so much nicer to work with simply due to certain 'environment matters', like that 'goto definition'-function really works and such.

About using VS2k5 express: I tried to 'tune' it sometime ago, and after installing directx and platform sdk, I got to a point that source of 1.16 seemed to compile all the way until linking, and even some files of the latest code compile at least after removing functions that were not available in MFC 6.0 or something like that. Well, not much, but better than nothing :)