[Synthpop Ballad (?)] Freedom Star (mp3)

Started by AmericanDiamond, August 01, 2013, 07:17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanDiamond

I have been using OpenMPT since 2003, and in all that time have been upgrading music I built before. Finally, after a lot of work and hesitation, two of them are ready for "young adult" release.

This one is called Freedom Star, the soundtrack theme to a fictitious movie of mine. I get a lot of musical ideas from the most trivial and/or unseemly non-musical sources of inspiration, and the melodies and "scenes" of inspiration were given to me in a dream in 2003. I make experimental "retro" music as if I were able to do music at the time, and this one is for 1984. I actually did use the Microsoft wavetable GM instruments (that is all I had at the time I made the earliest tracker version), OpenMPT to program all of the notes (except for the cymbals) individually by mouse (no MIDI keyboard was used) and REAPER for further sound processing.

https://soundcloud.com/diamondnefertari1984/freedom-star-1984

Saga Musix

Nice tune, but it suffers horribly from the GM instruments, especially the piano. It deserves a much better one, not necessarily realistic, but more 80s/90s influenced rompler/workstation piano. I think that typical Roland GM piano only sounds good when used for effect, not when intended to sound like a piano. Or maybe I'm just too much spoiled by so many people using because they don't have anything better. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.