Windows 8 64bit = crash

Started by psishock, October 13, 2012, 06:55:27

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

Windows 8 is coming out within few weeks. On the latest Release Preview OMPT cannot even start (at least on my end).

crash dump:
http://psishock.lpchip.com/programs/crash-main.dmp
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

psishock

disregard this Jojo, the bug was on my end. I've got rid of my old mptrack.ini settings file and now works like a charm (usually i just backup the whole folder instead of new installs every time, that plan didnt worked out this time).

Saga Musix

Yeah, seems like it crashed when loading toolbar positions and stuff. That's something MFC does on its own, though, and not something my code can influence in any way. Not sure why it would crash there, though...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

In case it matters in this crash: some toolbar-related start-up crashes have occurred before and those were addressed in a hacky manner in rev 195.

Harbinger

Someday i'm sure they will come up with an OS that will not be able to load and run Open MPT (Windows 17?) -- what will we do then? C++ may evolve to C** or maybe E++ or the video card functions will change to accommodate new graphics generation. Perhaps Linux and Windows will breed and a mulatto that works on neither platform will take over. Open-sourcing will extend to OSes more and more i'm sure, and someday mouses will give way to V-mouses that move and click based on thought.

What will we do then?  :P

psishock

QuoteSomeday i'm sure they will come up with an OS that will not be able to load and run Open MPT
why would we care? All of us will be long time gone by that time. :D

Jokes aside, emulation was and is one of the stronger points of the PC platform. You can be sure that any of your favorite program could be easily run in future, if not natively, then with a little help from additional programs.

Saga Musix

That's why some people still have real Amigas and real C64s 25 years later. Who knows, maybe OpenMPT will run on quantum computers one day!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sso

i kinda doubt, that the tracker form will die out.

i think trackers are going to exist in some form or another for a long time.

and since open mpt is what it is, similar to linux, it actually might be the one. (or one of them.)

psishock

Quote from: sso on October 18, 2012, 04:44:02
i kinda doubt, that the tracker form will die out.

i think trackers are going to exist in some form or another for a long time.

and since open mpt is what it is, similar to linux, it actually might be the one. (or one of them.)
Tracker form is almost completely dead now. (we can only hope that it made enough impact, as the c64 for instance, so in the future some group of people would still be playing with it). The purpose of it was to compensate the expensive sound hardware and insufficient processing power in the early days, on early hardware. It's been based on strict/limited ruleset that cannot really evolve in time. And stuff that cannot evolve will become "legacy" sooner or later (well the only successful "evolving" attempt that  i experienced is ditching the whole rigid rule set, the the tracker engine itself, and making the tracker basically a grid based sequencer through introducing the vsti support to them). Nowadays, where sufficient processing power available to anyone, and is enough to synthesize almost anything through the huge number of dedicated, modern programs, there isn't really a pro for a newbie composer to chose a tracker instead of a modern sequencer. Trackers are now basically only used by us "old guys" who grew up in those times, and that's about it. But beside the upcoming newb musicians you can look up the professional ones who work these days, they are all using sequencers for everything.

Saga Musix

That's of course exactly the reason why sheet music has died with the invention of the sequencer, just like trackers.
There's no reason for trackers to die anytime soon, as long as they go with time (like Renoise, Buzz, OpenMPT, although the latter being a bit behind as always).

Diamond

I will always have a certain fondness for trackers since OpenMPT was the first sequencing application I discovered which was accessible enough for me to use.  Back before it was OpenMPT of course.  Obviously this is not true of most other trackers, but still...  I also feel privileged that I have had some minor input in the development over the years which has made OpenMPT even more useful for me.  A couple of other DAWs/sequencers like Cakewalk SONAR have been made accessible via specialized scripts, but I find that I still often prefer the simplicity of the tracker style sequencer for many things.