new compo coming soon

Started by georg, April 11, 2006, 15:54:49

Previous topic - Next topic

georg

I've just got a brilliant idea yesterday. I'm a genius. Unless it's been done before, in which case i'm still a genius cos i didn't know it was done.

I'm planning a big compo soon. No details yet, except that it will rock. While i'm planning and preparing this baby i'd like to know what u guys here think about a compo.

When will you have time, when won't you have time (uni,work,traveling), how fast is your connection, can u host files, is there anything that you think i ought to know about music styles, MPT development and anything else. Maybe something about a compo you really like/dislike. I wanna know so i can arrange the thing around the majority of busy schedules, brain surgery appointments, court appearances, and other whims.

Talk to me.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

speed-goddamn-focus

I might be able to host songs. I also always have time, but never inspiration.

apple-joe

Sounds interesting, but I'd like more info!

rewbs

I'll always find time for a georg-run compo, as long as there's at least 2 weeks to submit a song. Take any chunk of 2 weeks and I'm guaranteed to have at least one spare evening to spend tracking.

EDIT: However, if your genius idea is specifically for a fast-compo type thing, then Friday evenings 7+pm GMT is best for me.

My connection is 2Mb/s.

I can't think of anything else to add, except I can also host songs if required.

xaimus

I'll have plenty of time coming up after finals finish, mid May.  I could host, if neccessary.  I'm on a crappy cable line--speed seems to hover around 1 Mbit/s on a good day.

LPChip

Free time isn't something I have. If the compo is interesting enough to enter, I'll try to make time. Usually its not that much of a problem to do, but it depends. Usually in the evening is best (or weekend?)

I can host files, am on a 12 mbit connection, and have plenty of resources to use :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

I can one-up Chip, I can host the website that talks about it (assuming there will be one), and it can be PHP scripted and all that, on my fast-ish Yahoo server. I can be a mirror for files, although I'm not sure if I would want to host them all alone, depends on how many and how big they are.

And you can count me in to try something, but I havent even succesfuly completed a pattern in about 6 months (about the same time I switched from PC to bass guitar).

If you need someone to help your organize it, I can do that, I have much free time
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

georg

You guys rock!

Thank you for your offers of help and hosting. My primary interest in hosting was for those people who would like to participate but don't have any webspace for their song. If someone could offer them a bit of space for awhile that would be great. But having said that, noone has asked, yet.

I wanted to know about connection speed because there may be a lot of songs and the filesizes may get big. Knowing there are peeps on slow connections means extending certain deadlines and such. Basically i wanted to know if there were any bitchy problems lying around.

If someone feels like designing and running a few webpages, i'd be happy to accept. But only if you really want to cos i'm quite able to do it myself, and i have a 10Meg site. Which needs serious updating...

Now to leak a bit of info. It will be a big and long compo, similar to the Sabotage but with a few twists i'll keep shy about for now. I'm expecting a large turnout, and you can expect inspiration-friendly rules and restrictions. You'll get to vote on everybody's songs like an OHC.

What about a timeline? Something like late April to mid-late May(or even later) This is absolutely the hardest thing to decide. Short compos hurt creativity and some peeps dont have time, but long compos never seem to end... One thing is for sure though, a minimum running time of 3 weeks.

Also any thoughts about a filesize limit? You'll be dnloading them so better gripe and complain now.

Thanks again fellas.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

apple-joe

OK - this sounds promising!

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "georg"Also any thoughts about a filesize limit? You'll be dnloading them so better gripe and complain now.

That depends on whether they have to be modules or can they be MP3 files? And if theya re modules, can we distribute VST/VSTi with them that we use?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

I don't mind downloading big files, cus I can download with 1,5 Megabyte a second. However, If the big files are stored on slow servers, it DOES hurt :P

Georg, If you need some FTP space, with php and whatever you need, gimme a call. I can even arrange mysql if desired.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Snu

im probably one of the few here who have sucky dialup and care about file sizes...
mp3/oggs are fine, but when modules start getting up to 20mb... its a bit much.
so, a rule stating that an mp3/ogg must be submitted in addition to the module if the module is 20mb or more would work, or just have everyone submit ogg/mp3s in addition to the modules...

LPChip

So... If I make a 30 minute Ogg file (ofcource with 320k bitrate, its not a problem? :lol:)

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"So... If I make a 30 minute Ogg file (ofcource with 320k bitrate, its not a problem? :lol:)
Of course not. Tho I would probably not listen to all of it and vote you last.

LPChip

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "LPChip"So... If I make a 30 minute Ogg file (ofcource with 320k bitrate, its not a problem? :lol:)
Of course not. Tho I would probably not listen to all of it and vote you last.

Fair enough... 60 minutes with 128k bitrate then :lol: