new compo coming soon

Started by georg, April 11, 2006, 15:54:49

Previous topic - Next topic

georg

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "LPChip"So... If I make a 30 minute Ogg file (ofcource with 320k bitrate, its not a problem? :lol:)
Of course not. Tho I would probably not listen to all of it and vote you last.

Fair enough... 60 minutes with 128k bitrate then :lol:

Advantage: LPChip

Even though i like the idea, i don't consider it practical to use tracked files + VSTs + VSTIs plus god knows what in a compo. So unless you yell at me really loud i will allow only MP3/OGG/WMA + tracked files WITOUT plugins (not even dX). However i do encourage everyone to share their tracked files and make them availabe if they have space.

Sample quality and sound quality in general will not have a HUGE impact on how well your song does. Crappy ideas and bad composing, and badly tuned samples will hurt. Bad.

What's the magic Mb number? Should i run a poll?

PS - I used my old MSN account but all my contacts are gone for some reason. If you wanna chat on MSN use this email addy: karmapolice@inet.hr
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "georg"What's the magic Mb number? Should i run a poll?

I think 10MB is fair, big enough for high quality or long song, but small enough for dialup.

Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Snu

im ok with 20mb, i dont think i have ever seen a modern song that big, only multi-movement classical pieces... (tho my sonata is 0.3 mb under that :)  )

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"

I think 10MB is fair, big enough for high quality or long song, but small enough for dialup.

[/quote]

I think 10MB is a bit too much for dialup... Imagine if there would be 20 entries? That's a lot for dialup.

georg

There will likey be 20+ entries.

I'm working on the pages now. I'll inform you guys when it's up, then it's time to spam. Since there are other compos running right now expect this one to run during May.

Snu

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"

I think 10MB is a bit too much for dialup... Imagine if there would be 20 entries? That's a lot for dialup.
thing is tho, not all the entries will be 10+ mb, most will be more average song sizes.  even if they were all rather large and high quality, the total size would no doubt be under 200mb, and im not against downloading that much... just give me a couple days.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Snu"
thing is tho, not all the entries will be 10+ mb, most will be more average song sizes.  even if they were all rather large and high quality, the total size would no doubt be under 200mb, and im not against downloading that much... just give me a couple days.
If I was still on dialup I would think that anything more than 50 MB, in total, would be a bit much. Then again I'm not so bring it on!

Squirrel Havoc

for the love of god people, by brother would download 6 CD images at a time from his dialup. Sure it takes time, but thats life! GET OVER IT!  :lol:  :shock:  :D  :twisted:
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

georg

Well to be honest i'm not sure what the response will be, but i'm hoping for good things. The site is finished except maybe minor tweaks and i'll upload it sometime next week, so you all know EXACTLY what kinda genius i am. I'm still not sure about filesizes and deadlines and a few other details, but that's cos i'm naturally paranoid. It'll sort itself out anyway.

Hmm, still a few hours to play with my OVC entry.