Announcing CAP2010

Started by Louigi Verona, March 27, 2010, 11:51:52

Previous topic - Next topic

AlisterFlint

i don't know for you guys, but since i know nada about music theory, i've looked for Dmaj chord.
drawings are fine, but i've found this video covering pretty much all about Dmaj (scale, chords..)
http://www.ehow.com/video_4394349_voice-d-major-chord.html

on a sidenote: since CAP is in 2 months,  it'd be a good thing to change  this thread into sticky, to keep it active..

uncloned

LV

just what are you planing to do with the pieces? mix them all together in parallel?

otherwise key should not matter.

lilmanjs16

are we allowed to make more than one thing for this project or does it have to be just one thing and that's it.

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "uncloned"LV

just what are you planing to do with the pieces? mix them all together in parallel?

otherwise key should not matter.

I am planning to do this:

1. The main thing in CAP will be the Timeline. This Timeline is basically a representation of various parts. It is important because I want the resulting tune to be integral and this might not be easy to achieve if we just dump various stuff together and then just put a title on it.

So instead what will happen is that as parts get ready, I will upload them into the Timeline and you will be able to see what's ready and say - okay, I am writing a direct sequel of that part. And I will refelect that in the Timeline.

Anyone would be free to put a part with no direct connection to the existing parts and so I will put it somewhere and then people would connect to it.

2. As the main work is done, I will do the final mix, sorting out the order of parts which were never connected with, perhaps discarding smth or connecting it by writing material myself. Then put it all together.

The key is important because it will glue together the whole composition. But we will see how it works - this is the first time and it is interesting how we will proceed.

uncloned

actually having different keys would enhance the experience.

imagine if each piece in order was in a different key with the last remaining to the first key.

This is what a lot of classical music does.

And I'm writing in part to tell you that I find the restriction of D / Bm too restrictive. I had thought I could roll what I had planned to do a while ago into your project - I don't feel I can satisfy myself with such a restriction.

My apologies.

Chris

AlisterFlint

maybe the starting chord could be Dmaj/Bmin. and from there, the opening piece could move onto other(s) chord(s)..

uncloned

AlisterFlint

Louigi Verona

okay, let's drop a chord restriction.

I am wondering though if we will manage to make the tune sound like one integral tune rather than several parts. But let's try.

AlisterFlint

i thought the interesting concept here, was actually making one tune out
different parts from various artists, thus with different styles and soundings..

the opening/leading chord is a good idea, to bring consistency, but it shouldn't
become a boundary, a restriction. especially, in an ambient-genre piece..

Louigi Verona

well, this is almost the idea. I do not wish to make a mix, just take various tunes and blend them together. I want us all to COMPOSE one tune. That is different than taking various unrelated tunes and pasting them together.

Also, if the tunes are too diverse, I do not think we will succeed in creating an integral impression.

Louigi Verona

Btw, CAP has started )

lilmanjs16

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Btw, CAP has started )

any requirments? like what key and what type of sound we're going for would be nice.

uncloned

Quote from: "lilmanjs16"
Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Btw, CAP has started )

any requirments? like what key and what type of sound we're going for would be nice.

I believe all of that information is towards the beginning of the thread

Louigi Verona

Yeah, but in short we decided to drop the key requirement and just see where it goes. Basically, the center of that is the timeline. Once someone sens in at least one part (soon I will be able to put out mine) it will appear in the time line. Anyone can book a part right before or after and then deliver. Or you can submit a part which is not thought to be connected to the already existing part.
All parts created by composers can be taken by other composers and blended into their compositions, just like in any other integral collaborative work.