In search for a good site header (hello graphicians!)

Started by Saga Musix, March 17, 2010, 17:49:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Snu

ok, took saga's suggestions into mind (lightened bg and added motion blur to it, changed font)

not sure if i quite like the motion blur, but definitely like the font more.

also, if anyone's interested in using the 3d mpt logo, here's a nice high res render without the background:
http://www.snuq.com/temp/mpt3dlogoonlyv1nobg.png

uncloned

Quote from: "psishock"abstract/artistic enough?

hmm, mayb i should stick with music, and leave these stuff to youngsters.

I have to admit this one says it all in direct and easy to understand terms

Seriously I like it best!

Though some might argue that the flying spaghetti monster should replace Michelangelo Deity!

Really Weird Person

That still looks quite nice, Paul.

Maybe the header could be some random code. :lol: I know, the joke is lame, but I have a friend who says that I am the master of those, so, what can I say?

Saga Musix

Snu, that looks indeed worse than I thought it could look, probably because the pattern are so far away, compared ot my own poor tries where it was rather nearby.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

kit beats

Quote from: "Jojo"LOL :cheers:

Hahah, great stuff up in here!
I like it the way it is now but there are some refreshing new banners that catched my eye :welldone:
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

Snu

ok, the blur looks a lot better with a closer pattern background:

i definitely like the closer pattern better, but still like it a bit more without the blur:

for comparison i also made an updated no blur version of the far away one:
http://www.snuq.com/temp/mpt3dv3nomotionblur.png

anyway, ill probably be without internet for a couple days, be back sunday or monday.

Saga Musix

that looks a lot better indeed! I really like the last one.

I'm a bit puzzled about where to put the "OpenMPT.com" text - I though that something like this might work:

This is of course just a quick mockup, the logo would have to stay in front of the semi-transparent stripe. Maybe we should also stick to a slightly smaller header as rakib suggested, something around 180px height maybe? Width would be the same of course.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Snu

ah, didnt know you wanted the openmpt.com text in there, would it be better to put it in above the 'discover the music inside'?
i think it would look better if it were the same font and angle.
if you like the transparent stripe, maybe i could have it come out from behind the modplug logo and continue to the right side of the image, something like:

frickin laser beams!
...er... sorry

just a really quick test, i can make the shadows and lighting a lot better, probably use a different font, and im thinking of making the transparent stripe warp the background like a glass effect.  
i also like your second idea for the positioning tho, i could do that too.
but no time to play around with that right now, gotta run.

Saga Musix

Well, as I said before, the openmpt.com text is supposed to be plain HTML! at the moment, it doesn't have enough contrast, though, and that's why I came up with the white stripe. Given that you could make it look really good in the image, we could think about dropping the HTML idea, but it would have to look really good then. :)

LPChip

I honestly don't like the last headers so much, because they're pretty "busy". A lot is going on on it, which is quite distracting. Maybe if you fade out the back to be more whitish (change brightness/contrast to be more brighten) it might look better.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

just take my artistic one. :D Cannot beat it by awesomeness, thats for sure.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Well, if you provide the money for possible lawsuits... sure!

Harbinger

I REALLY like Snu's sendup. Myself, i wouldn't mind downplaying the red, and making the "theme" more techno and futuristic. While i like the idea of showing a sample of the Pattern Editor, it should stay a bit more in the background. Do a distance blur on it, so that the side of the Pattern Editor sample farthest away gets blurrier. Also, see if you can move the waveform INTO the font you're using (you may have to thicken the font, but don't forget it must be VERY readable and clear). If you want to "noise it up" a little bit, used blurred out waveforms, perhaps in a metallic chrome, and fade it into various parts of the background.

Meanwhile i love doing graphic arts, so i'll work on my own ideas! 8)

oxxi

Is there going to be a poll so everyone can vote for their favorite one?
////