In search for a good site header (hello graphicians!)

Started by Saga Musix, March 17, 2010, 17:49:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

If there are going to be a few more "entries", maybe. At the moment, though, I don't see a point in making a poll, since I think that Snu's header is currently the only usable one.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Jojo"Well, as I said before, the openmpt.com text is supposed to be plain HTML! at the moment, it doesn't have enough contrast, though, and that's why I came up with the white stripe. Given that you could make it look really good in the image, we could think about dropping the HTML idea, but it would have to look really good then. :)

Nothing wrong with using both... It's perfectly reasonable to use basic CSS text-hiding techniques to use a header image whilst keeping the site accessible to screen-readers and document parsers.

Using appropriate "alt" and "title" attributes on the images, though, is probably the best way to go -- it's accessibility-friendly, semantically correct, and degrades well.

As an aside, are you coding the new site using HTML5 elements? (<header>, <footer>, <nav>, and so on.) If you're worried about IE support, I can help out with that. :)

Saga Musix

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Using appropriate "alt" and "title" attributes on the images, though, is probably the best way to go -- it's accessibility-friendly, semantically correct, and degrades well.
Yeah well, currently it's a background image, but it wouldn't be difficult to put a blank image on top of it with the appropriate alt/title attributes set. The main reason was that image text often looks cheap and uninspired, so the font and its surroundings would have to look really good.

QuoteAs an aside, are you coding the new site using HTML5 elements? (<header>, <footer>, <nav>, and so on.) If you're worried about IE support, I can help out with that. :)
No, I'm using an accesible XHTML 1.0 theme. I was not going to change the code (apart from custom CSS hacks of course). The only IE problem I currently have is that I want the "subscribe to feed" menu link is supposed to be on the far right side of the menu. The whole menu (including this link) is an unordered list of course, so I thought that I would simply use float:right; for this element - but that looks weird in IE (it's positioned on the right side, but also a few pixels below the other buttons) - if you know how to fix that, let me know. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"
Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Using appropriate "alt" and "title" attributes on the images, though, is probably the best way to go -- it's accessibility-friendly, semantically correct, and degrades well.
Yeah well, currently it's a background image, but it wouldn't be difficult to put a blank image on top of it with the appropriate alt/title attributes set. The main reason was that image text often looks cheap and uninspired, so the font and its surroundings would have to look really good.

QuoteAs an aside, are you coding the new site using HTML5 elements? (<header>, <footer>, <nav>, and so on.) If you're worried about IE support, I can help out with that. :)
No, I'm using an accesible XHTML 1.0 theme. I was not going to change the code (apart from custom CSS hacks of course). The only IE problem I currently have is that I want the "subscribe to feed" menu link is supposed to be on the far right side of the menu. The whole menu (including this link) is an unordered list of course, so I thought that I would simply use float:right; for this element - but that looks weird in IE (it's positioned on the right side, but also a few pixels below the other buttons) - if you know how to fix that, let me know. :)

Ah, yeah. IE is weird in that. Try setting the same line-height: and height: to all the menu items including this RSS button. IE threats line-height and height differently than other browsers, but setting both usually works cross-browser.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I have tried that before and it just makes things worse. IE always does this if the float:right; element is listed after the other floating elements.

Rakib

I'm not happy with the resolution, it's too big.
^^

AlisterFlint

uncloned

looks great - might want to find the "r" though :-)

AlisterFlint

Paul Legovitch

AlisterFlint

Saga Musix

Snu

well, since this thread seems to have been forgotten, but the header is still being worked on, i figured i would post the latest version:
(lightened, made smaller, and tweaked a couple things)

and with a slightly defocused background:

i think i like the second one more, i feel like it brings out the text a lot more

this has really been a great project for me, learning a lot about the blender compositor, but im still kinda a noob at it, so thanks for all the suggestions.

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"My take on red :)

This one is really good, especially if you tone the red sign down a bit.

Saga Musix