2012 is apparently not all it is supposed to be...

Started by uncloned, October 26, 2009, 23:31:27

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

google translate or hope that Sam will translate for us

http://www.natutech.nl/00/nt/nl/47/artikel/26050/Balen:_%272012%27_is_pas_over_twee_eeuwen.html

the basic idea... well 2012 happens 2220 and... the Long Count Mayan calendar is, well, NOT the longest one.... there is one with 7,890 year units.

Sam_Zen

Yep, it was on the news here.
The Maya may have made a wrong calculation, so the transition point is shifted two centuries ahead.
So let's party? Keep on bashing this planet, time enough ?
Teach our grandchildren how to use a survival kit in an underground bunker ?

Today is 40 years ago of the report by the Club of Rome.
It already warned for climate change and financial disasters. Nobody wanted to listen.

And : to save energy, this article is just too big for me to make a proper translation.

uncloned

Please don't think I want to ruin the planet because I think 2012 is.... well unlikely.

People thought the world was going to end ... a couple times already, no?

uncloned

and of course they mean human civilization ends = quite frankly we do not have the power to ruin the planet - only pollute the biosphere - for a few thousand years - at worst tens of thousands.

we are quite insignificant in the scheme of things when you start thinking on a geologic scale for time.

As a friend once said about the Gaia hypothesis - lets hope the planet doesn't wake up and think it has a carbon rash it needs to scrape off....

uncloned

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Yep, it was on the news here.

And : to save energy, this article is just too big for me to make a proper translation.

And I didn't mean to volunteer your time

Sam_Zen

Abso right. It's a human misconception, mainly caused by religion, to think that the globe will end if
the human species will become extinct.

LPChip

I've also seen it, but I really don't buy it.

I think its just another try to gain power by giving out false information.

Really, this wouldn't be the first time someone says it.

Next to that, its not just the maya calendar that predicts the end of time in 2012, it are other calendars and prophecies too.

Its fun to see that if one person says so, and it seems to be "good news" everyone instantly believes it.

Do note, I'm not saying that we'll all die in 2012. Time ends, but not the world. 2 things people always seem to put in the same context.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Nahkranoth

Shut up, LPChip, you just ruined the party here :cry_fists:  :lol:
Just make some choons, not ozone holes :D

LPChip

Why would I need to shut up? Am I not entitled to have my own opinion, like everyone else?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I think you missed some essential parts of his post...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"I think you missed some essential parts of his post...

Then I might still do that... What part? X)

Nahkranoth

LPChip

And LPChip is still clueless...

Oh well... :nuts: :lol:

g

Louigi Verona

It is important to note that if a calendar "stops" at a certain date it does not mean the world ends after it. Look at the calendar that is hanging on your wall. It shows 2009. And then nothing. At December 31 the yearly cycle ends. But does it mean that after 2009 there will be no humanity?

Any calendar stops somewhere.

The Maya Long Count calendar (which actually was not created by Maya anyway) is a calendar that includes very long cycles. One of them happens to end on 2012. So what?

Mayan beliefs and philosophy of time does not consider 2012 as anything special. Interpreting it as the end of the world can only come from people who have a philosophical background that implies the end of the world should be an actual event in space and time.
Sounds familiar?

To me it sounds like misinterpreting the Bible.

Another point, mentioned here, is that the end of humanity does not mean the end of the world. However, it will mean the end of the world for us, so I believe it is okay to use that term.

End of a cycle might mean a change, certain processes restarting on a very global scale around us and in space and on the planet. People will certainly reflect that somehow. I think that the restart procedure is neutral in itself. Any positive and negative effects that would come would depend on how we react to that. The most natural yet animal-like reaction is aggression. There you go - roots of a possible problem.

And finally, LPChip says that other prophecies and calendars point to 2012. I would like to see those. Which other calendars?