[Chiptune] Battle for Justice (.IT, .MP3) Incl making of

Started by LPChip, October 20, 2009, 20:36:45

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

When Jojo posted a topic about fast tracking I kind of said that I could do better.

With that in mind (and its something I wanted to do for quite some time now) I finally made some time to track a chiptune in the style I always do my chiptunes nowadays. Due to wanting to make it within the timeframe of an hour, I did rushed it a little bit and thus not given the song the proper care as I usually do. As result, I got the entire recording done in 55 minutes and 35 seconds. Geez, only 20 seconds more... :P

Because of that, I missed a few things during the making of video that I fixed later. The entire time it took me to fix those things is still less than 5 minutes though, but the listening to is what took about 3 to 8 hours LOL.

You can download the fixed versions here:

.IT file: http://files.lpchip.com/lpchip/Battle.zip
.MP3 file: http://files.lpchip.com/lpchip/LPChip%20-%20Battle%20for%20Justice.mp3

I also made the making of, which I splitted in 7 parts, as I cannot upload video's to youtube that are larger than 10 minutes. :(

For the best result, watch in HD quality, and full screen.

Part 1/7 - Intro
Part 2/7 - Melody 1
Part 3/7 - Melody 2
Part 4/7 - Melody 3
Part 5/7 - Variations 1
Part 6/7 - Variations 2
Part 7/7 - Ending

Please give me feedback and if you like the video's, a comment/rating on youtube would be great too :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Listened to the IT with MPP. A decent piece of work, LP..

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

That is a nicely done song, LPChip. You probably already saw the private message, but in case you didn't, here is a post. Something that I find odd is when there are notes beyond pattern breaks. That seems kind of odd. Perhaps you like odd though. Let's see here... 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11... There is some oddness for you. How about any prime number other than 2. That is some oddness, right? Yep, definitely woddness. The song sounds somewhat familiar (especially in the beginning), but I cannot seem to think of what from. The last channel reminds me of Dr. Mario, or, perhaps some other things, but that was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard it. Do you mind if I use it in some of my arrangements? I can send you a copy of them if you would like me to (although, based on past experience, that might not work out so well). You were close, by the way, LPChip. The nearest number to 65,000 divisible by 19 is 64,999. 64,999 patterns all filled in though would be:

1. Challenging to come up with (as that is 19 × 3,421). 3,421 is 311 × 11. The 311 part is the problem. Coming up with a song that long would be a challenge (especially since 311 is prime).
2. A nightmare (or maybe a daystud, I am not sure), I think that I could see a song like that taking at least three weeks to complete (excluding going back and fixing any mistakes I may have made along the way).

LPChip

And I've got the youtube version up too now!!! :)

Feel free to watch and leave feedback and ratings :)

uncloned

LP I listened to this earlier in the week - a very impressive piece of speed composing - several coherent parts - that is not easy to do.

That was my main impression - I need to listen again to give more detail.

Chris

LPChip

And I am awaiting your other details. :)

Also to anyone, I hope people watch the video's and learn from it. :) If you have questions, just tell me about what part in which video and I'll answer it for you. :)

Saga Musix

Quote from: "uncloned"LP I listened to this earlier in the week - a very impressive piece of speed composing - several coherent parts - that is not easy to do.
Not that I want to have a go at LPChip or anything, but maybe you should also listen to coda's OHC tunes, which are IMHO a lot more impressive, especially since OHC's are held with a fixed sample pack that only the compo host can decide on.

Still, a nice chiptune, and the making of is also pretty cool. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

coda has nice OHC tunes. Can't argue with that. I do notice though that most of his songs are around 1 minute long. Mine is over 3!

If my aim is a one minute song, I can give it far more detail.

Maybe for the pure sake of it, I'll create a song where I use VSTi's, and create the sounds during the movie. :)

Also kinda depends how people react to this movie. If there's not much feedback (not only from MODPlug but my youtube fans in general) I might not record it. But maybe I'll just do it, for the pure sake of it X)

Saga Musix

True, most of them are rather short (but so are most entries in our OHCs, apart from Ceekayed's and Xerxes' stuff maybe :D), but then again, all this goes without prior preparation - I guess that you have at least thought *a bit* on how your song should sound? :)

QuoteMaybe for the pure sake of it, I'll create a song where I use VSTi's, and create the sounds during the movie.
That would also be very interesting.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

Quote from: "LPChip"Thanks :)

Also to anyone, I hope people watch the video's and learn from it. :) If you have questions, just tell me about what part in which video and I'll answer it for you. :)

I will get to it as soon as possible. right now I need to prepare for a visitor tomorrow - clean the house, prepare some traditional Lithuanian food.

Nahkranoth

Quite an interesting tune, but too prolonged to my taste :D There are a couple of phrases that sound very beautiful to my ears :D

LPChip

Quote from: "uncloned"
Quote from: "LPChip"Thanks :)

I will get to it as soon as possible. right now I need to prepare for a visitor tomorrow - clean the house, prepare some traditional Lithuanian food.

Am still curious... ;)

uncloned

well, Doom meets Eric Clapton Meets Mario on that dark stark level filled with Barons.

Very catchy actually - very bluesy.

Unusual chip tune for my experience.