Fast Tracking in MPT

Started by Saga Musix, August 29, 2009, 23:59:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

If you need some help with fast tracking in MPT, maybe this video by Jakim can guide you a bit. It has been created like during a One Hour Compo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85xD-xp5frc
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

arinlares

I've always wanted to enter a 1-hour compo, but haven't known where, when, or how.  If that's the kind of speed needed for one, I don't think I could keep up.  That's just blisteringly fast, at least compared to me.

psishock

it does not matter what you have in the end and how long, all it matters that you have fun composing it. :D
They may sound hard, but you can put some interesting, even catchy stuff together within a hour too, i'm sure. You'll never know if you never try. =)

Nice catch Jojo, i loved the video. I wish somebody would capture the process when a composer is braining with a not "usual" structure of composing, how are the ideas flowing within his mind.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

My first thought was "amature" XD

That did change when I heard more of the final result, but I still think he could be twice as fast if he stopped using the mouse.

I actually track twice as fast as him because I use keyboard shortcuts entirelly.

Maybe I should create a chiptune and record it... just for fun :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

arinlares: There are currently at least two very active OHC channels:
http://modarchive.org/forums/index.php?board=97.0

Also, it doesn't really matter how fast you are. Even just creating two patterns in an hour can be fun, and they can sounds pretty good, too! There compos you join, the more experience you get, and the faster you will be.

@LPChip: Jakim even mentioned that he didn't really hurry. :P Something that I found very strange for example was that he started with 10 channels and then always got back to the general tab to increase the number of channels. That's why I always start out with 64 channels.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

I just use the "Insert channel" feature... :D

psishock

QuoteI just use the "Insert channel" feature... :D
+1
same here, first i was using the channel increasing feature in the settings, later on i was setting everything to max and reduced the empty channels when finished composing. Lately i've found out that the insert channel on demand is the most easiest and comfortable way. =) Even you can add these channels in the middle of your compositions, don't have to move tons of columns around if you want to add some sounds between.

LPChip

I always have the 32 channels or so (whats the default?) and never remove any when done. :P That works too XD
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

32is the default for IT in ompt, 8 is the default for renoise.

Quote from: "LP"and never remove any when done.
ssssssh, i've than that many times, because of my legendary lazyness, but it's better to keep quiet about it, in front of serious people. :D

LPChip

Oh gosh no... My world is falling apart now, because I am too lazy to do proper cleanup... noooo...  :nuts: :lol:

Saga Musix

Well, I only use inserting when I want to have a channel "in between" two other channels, but that's too many clicks for my taste if I just want to append a channel at the right, so I just have 64 channels by default, that works, too.

Really Weird Person

Was there ever a plan to allow more than 127 channels for certain formats? When I make a file that contains 127 channels and add one, I get a dialog that reads:

Error: Max number of channels for this type is 127

Note: That is with version 1.17.02.52. Perhaps that is changed in the beta version (1.17.03.01). Nope, that dialog still exists and reads the same way.

Perhaps that is from the wild release, which allows up to 255 channels.

Saga Musix

As always: No, it is currently NOT possible to extend the limit. If it was possible, the channel limit would not be an odd number like 127.

Really Weird Person

That comment makes me think back to the days of Modplug Tracker when it actually did indeed have a 128 channel limit (aka the 1.17 release candidates). I am not sure why that last channel was removed, but it was. Sorry to burst you bubble, Jojo, but the logic in that commend seems flawed to me.

Saga Musix

I have never used the old RCs, but you see, that is not the only limit that was set too high (namely the pattern limit that you keep complaining about) and which has been set to a lower value later for security reasons. One of the obvious parts where those limits are still not handled properly is the general tab for example, as this bug report shows nicely.
Hint: Just because an old version supports something that a newer version doesn't (for example editing S3M files with more than 32 channels), that doesn't mean that the old version did its job properly.