A Nice and Long Song!

Started by Really Weird Person, September 16, 2009, 13:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

Here is a nice and long song for you!* It is the closest I can seem to come to 65,000 without going over it. The funny part is is that another song that I arranged just happens to be a similar number. The difference, the other one is shorter with the first part being 16 instead of 64.

* You may need to downgrade your version of Modplug Tracker for the song to open properly.

Saga Musix

Okay, so you are queueing a few megasamples of midi files, sometimes at the same time, so they become out of beat. You have hundreds of empty patterns instead of reusing them or reducing the mod tempo - And because of stuff like this you keep bugging me about increasing the pattern and order limit. My final word is: no.

What you really need is an audio player with a playlist. OpenMPT is not a playlist editor.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

450MB.... sorry mate.
Don't want to download so big song. Render to mp3 and make it streamable  8)
^^

Sam_Zen

I think you're downgrading the willingness of people to give a comment or review this way..

What's this ? A contest "who has the longest one ?"

Normally this should be in the Download section, but I have a guess why it is not..
Maybe you have not much to tell about the content of a song, just some recordbreaking numbers.

Really Weird Person

QuoteI think you're downgrading the willingness of people to give a comment or review this way..

That is indeed possible.

QuoteNormally this should be in the Download section, but I have a guess why it is not..

I did not think of that.

QuoteRender to mp3 and make it streamable

That would be quite a challenge. In order to do that I would have to either:

1. Convert it to wave and then to MP3, but Modplug Tracker would stop once the file reaches ≈ 2 GB and I am not sure that would even cover half of the song (32,487 patterns).
2. Record it:  That would be extremely boring because I would not be able to use the computer then.

QuoteOkay, so you are queueing a few megasamples of midi files, sometimes at the same time, so they become out of beat. You have hundreds of empty patterns instead of reusing them or reducing the mod tempo - And because of stuff like this you keep bugging me about increasing the pattern and order limit. My final word is: no.

What you really need is an audio player with a playlist. OpenMPT is not a playlist editor.

Perhaps you say that they are "out of beat" because the pattern numbers are not equal. That rarely happens with my arrangements. Most of the time, in fact, one or more of the numbers in the arrangement is prime. As for the empty patterns, that would be because wave files contain only one note. The reason that I convert the midis (which they were initially indeed) (at least the first 25 samples were) is because Modplug Tracker does not handle them properly. As an example, some songs may have cymbal clangs that are ≈ 3 or 4 secons long, but Modplug Tracker truncates them to a single clang as opposed to the drawn-out clang that it is supposed to be. If you were looking for a song that has all of the patterns filled with notes, try this one instead. As for reusing patterns or reducing the mod tempo, I am not sure what you mean by reusing patterns (though I can assume that you mean duplicate them, which would be a treacherous task with the ability to duplicate only a single pattern at a time as opposed to the entire string) and I am not sure that reducing the tempo would help keep the songs in sync because they are different lengths, unless you mean do that to alleviate the pauses in the beginning. If that is the case, that would be done in the sample editor itself, not by reducing the tempo. As for the playlist editor, actually, that would not help. I have one of those (actually, I have at least three) (counting Winamp and Windows Media Player) That would not combine the songs, that would simply play them in succession. I am not sure if you noticed that they are actually combined such that they are playing simultaneously as opposed to in succession like a playlist would do (though you may have).

Nahkranoth

But you can convert it to mp3 without having to use intermediate wav. Just place lame_enc.dll in the ompt folder and you will be able to do it.

Really Weird Person

QuoteBut you can convert it to mp3 without having to use intermediate wav. Just place lame_enc.dll in the ompt folder and you will be able to do it.

That sounds like a nice idea. Perhaps you can post a link to a version of the encoder that would make an MP3 that is longer than an hour (as the song should play for almost six days before repeating) (and remember, 1 day = 24 hours, not 9 or however long a school day is). I suppose that I could try using Lame directly, though I am not sure if that would know what to do with an OpenMPT format file.

The verdict on Lame's OpenMPT support

Nahkranoth

No, that's not what I meant. When you put the dll in ompt folder, there will be "Save as MP3" menu option available, so you can save directly to mp3 bypassing the wav stage. Not sure how it wil digest a six-day long tune tho.
[EDIT] OH SHI... It should be like 8 gigs even when converted to 128 kbps MP3 :shock: I hope I'm wrong.
I guess the only not Really Weird Option would be to save it as .it and convert to MO3.

Rakib

If his filesystem is NTFS, it shouldn't be a problem.
^^

Saga Musix

Rakib: Not necessarily, it's also up to MPT how to deal with files > 2GB.

QuotePerhaps you say that they are "out of beat" because the pattern numbers are not equal.
No, they are out of beat because you are playing two tracks with different BPM at the same time.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

QuoteNot sure how it wil digest a six-day long tune tho.

How it would digest it is giving me approximately the first hour of the song, not the whole thing.

Quote[EDIT] OH SHI... It should be like 8 gigs even when converted to 128 kbps MP3  I hope I'm wrong.
I guess the only not Really Weird Option would be to save it as .it and convert to MO3.

For the top part, that is excellent. Catching your profanity is, perhaps, the only way to dispose of it completely. Yes, I did notice that and yes, I did automaticaly assume the meaning of the three letters after the word Oh. As for the IT thing, that would do me no good. And converting it to MO3 would not be doable since I do not believe that Modplug Tracker writes those, it only opens them; however, the version that I use (version 1.17.02.52) does not even do that, so that is not an option (at least not with Modplug Tracker).

Quoteit's also up to MPT how to deal with files > 2GB.

And apparently making them [even though the one that I did was actually only a little bit more than 1 GB] works just fine, but opening them is a daystud, err, nightmare. In fact, it is such a nightmare, that it does not even happen because Modplug Tracker stops at the "Out of Memory" dialog.

Saga Musix

memory limits are not the same as disk limits, and modplug needs actually the double amount of memory while loading a file size, so loading a 500mb module would result in a temporary usage of 1 GB of RAM.

Nahkranoth

2RWP: since when did you become my wordfilter? It wasn't meant to offend, sorry if it did. I suggested saving to .it, because it can be converted to mo3 not by modplug, but by dedicated mo3 converter.

Really Weird Person

Quotesince when did you become my wordfilter? It wasn't meant to offend, sorry if it did. I suggested saving to .it, because it can be converted to mo3 not by modplug, but by dedicated mo3 converter.

I do not believe that I did become your "word filter," howerver, that is a reference to the fact that profanity is (or at least appears to be) the world's second language and the fact that you appear to be trying to either get out of it or not get into it. Of course, me "saying" this will probably make you want to use it more. In that case, I am sorry and had no intentions on doing such a thing, but I am not sure if you have noticed my lack of the language, but you can look at my posts and should notice a profanity quantity of what some people may refer to as a goose egg, or, zero. I simply do not use profanity (except in certain circumstances, in which it is meant for example purposes or perhaps from a quote, I do not use it in my normal language though). Now that is a case where zero is actually a good number (not to say that it is really ever bad, though it being the temperature either out side or inside your house would not be fun either).

Quotemodplug needs actually the double amount of memory while loading a file size, so loading a 500mb module would result in a temporary usage of 1 GB of RAM.

I was unaware of this. Note to everyone on this forum, in this case, do not make a song that is 1 GB+ in size, as Modplug Tracker would not be able to open it (though, from the way it sounds, probably most everyone else's songs are probably still in the KB range, not even MB range)!

uncloned

most I've done is 66 megs (at the end - it was in the hundreds while being produced) in the original modplug tracker.

Not a problem.

I'm not sure of the point in your thread on outrageous size here. The fact is your size of module and output needs at least a factor of thousand ( ish)  increase in cpu power, storage, memory, and bandwidth to be practical.  It would be like trying to deal with a gig file size on the net in the 90's.

When people can toss TB's like the can GB's now you'll get what you are asking for. At the moment I puzzle as to the immediate application.

Remember in the 80's a megabyte was huge. - Now no one thinks anything of webpages that are a meg or more and broadband lets you stream MP3's.

Moore's law says - just give it time.