A Nice and Long Song!

Started by Really Weird Person, September 16, 2009, 13:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

QuoteWhen people can toss TB's like the can GB's now you'll get what you are asking for. At the moment I puzzle as to the immediate application.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the first part. I do not believe that terabyte drive are overly expensive anymore (unless you mean terabytes of RAM, that will probably take some time to come to reality). As for the application, the application is in making songs. As I have mentiond before, try making some arrangements. Especially try ones that involve prime numbers or instances where patterns have to be chopped! In fact, the numbers do not even have to be prime, they just need to be multiplied together (for example 663 × 98 = the song that I sent) (64,974 patterns in length) (Try opening that in a version of Modplug Tracker beyond 1.17.02.52 in its entirety currently! Good luck)

In addition, perhaps, when the sequential limit is increased is when I will do what Jojo keeps mentioning (the part about the patterns being filled). At the moment (there's one of your phrases, Jojo :lol:), making a song that is 43,056 patterns long (138 × 312) (as an example) (Actually, I had wanted to do that one, but I never got around to it.) with Modplug Tracker's current setup would be a nightmare (especially since only 16,974 patterns took me a week (7 days) to do (obviously off and on with some time spent in church and some time spent sleeping!)

uncloned

I think it would be obvious that an 8 gig song (or so) is not very practical and certainly would be for a small subsection of all possible listeners.

LV (and I actually) have a had time getting someone to to invest 20 min, half hour, or in LV's case a couple hrs I think it was. While there is something to be said for long and slow compositions they are far from the mainstream - in fact the Beethoven's 5th symphony slowed down to encompass a day has been making the rounds as a curiosity.

Having a TB drive is not important in this conversation. You of course can make your composition and listen to it on your own computer as long as you'd like with some effort with current tools. But... you will find it difficult to share. And that is the part that needs all of the enhancements I talked about.

In any case your answer is really simple - compose in parts and string them together. If you are clever no one will hear the splices. That's how Wagner's Ring Cycle got to be 15 hours long.

Nahkranoth

Between all the offtopicness nobody had noticed that converted to mo3 the song should be very roughly about 50 mb, which is more than acceptable.

Really Weird Person

QuoteIn any case your answer is really simple - compose in parts and string them together.

I am not exactly sure what you mean. I initially thought that you meant make a playlist, which, as I mentioned before, would not yield the same result (the actual combination of the songs), but when I reread the post, I was uncertain of the exact meaning. If you mean make the song in many files and then combine them into one file later, that would be silly when I can do it in one fell swoop (except for with the newer versions of Modplug Tracker) (unless the song is 4,000 patterns or fewer, which rarely happens).

uncloned

then I guess I don't understand the disagreement here.

If you have an artistic need and you can indeed fulfill that need I am again puzzled at this conversation.