The Modplug Initiative

Started by Louigi Verona, August 05, 2009, 05:26:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Hey guys!

We are a music community that produces a large output of recordings. I would like to suggest creating musical compilations on a semi-regular basis, so that Modplug Central would have a certain result of its activity.

We can then host it at my Disc Shelf and at archive.org and similar resources and perhaps have some listeners get interested in what we are doing here. The albums can have cool cover art and the whole thing can be a community effort.

What do you think?

g

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm, well, I don't think I could really commit to regular releases. My release cycle is too... chaotic for that. :D Still, I do like the idea.

Nahkranoth

+1!

But my laziness is legendary among... well... me :D
Quote from: "bv"My release cycle is too... chaotic for that

And mine's even more, I still owe you one bears-inspired track LOL :lol:

I guess that frequent here are only you, LV (sort of) and clones and Sam_Zen (due to large amount of oldies he got).

So I'm not sure if the compilation will be at least monthly.

LPChip

Its the same thing that happened on CTGMusic. I like the idea alot actually, but unfortunatelly, I don't have the time to manage it. I can facilitate in websolutions where necessary, though hosting it on DiscShelve is a very nice idea too.

Support+ from me too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

I have experience in managing compilations and I can take the thing under my control.

There is no need for regular releases and absolutely no need to submit only new material. If we look into our music downloads, there are dozens and dozens of tracks. I say - quite good for a lot of compilations.

Releases can be semi-regular, that is - made the compilation, some time passed and we decided - erm.... let's make another one.

Compilations can be numbered and with no particular themes. Something like "Modplug Vibes #45".

Everything can be hosted at Disc Shelf and such.

LPChip

This really sounds great.

The only concern I have right now, is if everyone's song that will be used for the mix agrees on having his/her song put in one.

I certainly have no problem if my song ends up in a compilation like this, but it might be best if we can do stuff like: asking the author per song. For instance, I have some songs that are actually licensed. I'll have to see if I want those in such compilation too (and if I am allowed ofcource).
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

We will do better - I will announce the new compilation. Anyone who wants his tune in it sends me the link to the tune or a tune itself to my email which I will display. As soon as I collect 10-15 tunes, I will upload them to Disc Shelf. Also, anyone who wants can contribute cover art is free to do so. If noone does it, I will make a cover myself.

g

Will there be any screening? I haven't decided whether that (screening) would be a good or a bad idea...

Saga Musix

What I personally would like much more is a musicdisk...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

the problem with things like this is that the person performing the compilation invariably colors the compilation with their taste in music.

the number of styles/genres/techniques presented on modplug is very wide and I think a strength hard to capture in a 15 song compilation that would be listenable even with the best intentions.

And the people left out will feel less than warm and fuzzy about being left out.

Is modplug radio still alive? That may be a better alternative.

Saga Musix

Well, a musicdisk with totally unrelated modules wouldn't make sense anyway. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

neither would a compilation of unrelated material imho.

At least that's what I find irritating with the free CDs they used to have at record/cd stores when I actually went to brick and mortor stores.

But... then does that represent modplug?

that's why radio may be a better alternative - everything gets its 15 minutes of fame.

LPChip

The modplug radio is not online for quite some time now, but since I recently bought a new pc for server usage, I might look into setting up a radio station. The only thing that surelly stands in my way right now, is the fact that I was unable to install the soundcard drivers.

I'm running Windows Server 2003 Standard, and the PC is a Shuttle X27D

uncloned

what is the error if you don't mind me asking.