The Modplug Initiative

Started by Louigi Verona, August 05, 2009, 05:26:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

well, you don't really need a soundcard for radio broadcast... :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Chris: I see your concern. However, because there are many styles on modplug, we should not limit ourselves with one compilation. We can, say, make several compilations which would be divided into genres - ambient, dance music, alternative, etc. Noone needs to be left out.

On the other hand, this is why I have raised this topic. If eventually everybody feels that the idea is no that good, we will not do it.

Consider this though: it would really make everybody feel a part of community, make everyone aware that what they are doing is part of a bigger picture and also might bring a feel of satisfaction and pride when we see that there is a result that our community delivers.

PPH

It's a good idea, but I haven't released anything in ages.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

psishock

Quotebut I haven't released anything in ages.
Oh, but that's not a problem, be our guest, release stuff now. :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"
Consider this though: it would really make everybody feel a part of community, make everyone aware that what they are doing is part of a bigger picture and also might bring a feel of satisfaction and pride when we see that there is a result that our community delivers.

We can then host it at my Disc Shelf and at archive.org and similar resources and perhaps have some listeners get interested in what we are doing here. The albums can have cool cover art and the whole thing can be a community effort.

which is why a modplug branded outlet, like modplug radio, as opposed to discshelf, makes sense to me

Louigi Verona

As you wish. If everyone feels that Chris is right, then we will not do the compilations.

uncloned

I am not saying not to do compilations though I think radio makes more sense.

However, I do think it would be strange to host Modplug compilations on discshelf. But perhaps I'm prejudice here considering my past experience with you promoting discshelf on SoOn to the dismay of pretty much everyone there.

So for that reason I will bow out of this conversion.

Louigi Verona

Oh bugger.

Why look at everything from the prism of personality and self promotion? I do not care about these things.

Disc Shelf allows to embed albums, design them and take care of traffic. I made it to be used, not to make money with it or become famous with it. If I do have any promotion in mind - its only for people to be able to use it, just like with Tape Loops. Disc Shelf is a service like YouTube. What's strange in hosting videos on YouTube? What was strange in releasing albums from Disc Shelf at SoOn? I am sorry you do not see it and I am sorry that at SoOn someone decided that I am just a dirty spammer.

However, if each time I am mentioning Disc Shelf everyone thinks I am promoting it "to the dismay of pretty much all modplug", then perhaps I shouldn't mention it at all. I was deeply hurt by the misunderstanding at SoOn and I do not want it to happen here as well.

I withdraw the modplug initiative.

Louigi Verona

For the reason that every action from me seems to be looked upon as self promotion and realization of my greed and desire for fame, I withdraw any suggestions and apologize for all the nasty things I've done to this community by using my nickname (and thus promoting myself), ever mentioning Disc Shelf (and thus promoting my project that would in turn promote myself), ever mentioning my website, my software and music.

QuoteHey guys!

We are a music community that produces a large output of recordings. I would like to suggest creating musical compilations on a semi-regular basis, so that Modplug Central would have a certain result of its activity.

We can then host it at my Disc Shelf and at archive.org and similar resources and perhaps have some listeners get interested in what we are doing here. The albums can have cool cover art and the whole thing can be a community effort.

What do you think?

uncloned

I'm saying the problem lies with me.

please carry on.

LPChip

I still think its a good idea though.

I've always played with the idea of having a system that if you submit your music there, it can be automatically distributed to several music communities.

You want your music to be heard don't you? This is a good way, and if the user himself doesn't have to do it, its even more of a plus.

Another option could be to mix the songs together to one new song and create one album on DiskShelve with all the compilations in them.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Well, I would also find it strange to have discshelf as a primary host for a modplug compliation... :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"Well, I would also find it strange to have discshelf as a primary host for a modplug compliation... :P

True, I have the resources to host it myself too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Maybe what we can do instead is actually host the album in multiple places:

1. For download -- I'm more than happy to provide hosting for these compilations for download, either as individual files or as a single monolithic file;
2. For online play -- Disc shelf would be good here.

That way, it's not that Disc Shelf is 'hosting' the ModPlug tracks, but that it's 'mirroring' them and providing an online playback service at the same time. I think that maybe this would be a good way to a) get the music out there, and b) keep everyone happy. :)

LPChip