New modplug player??

Started by bully34, July 23, 2009, 02:56:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Is there any particular reason for your quotation?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

They tested with the most recent release of OpenMPT, so is it fixed in a real version or in a build your working on?
^^

Saga Musix

It's fixed in the current SVN build.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

I'm a little puzzled why the engine from OpenMPT can't be used for MPP

Did MPP support more formats than OMPT?

I could see a need for a player that supports at least the mptm format because nothing else but the full tracker supports it.

While its great to open the tracker to learn it is clumsy for casual playing of files - and I like the tuning ability of mptm format.

Is it possible?

Saga Musix

MPP is closed source when will you get it?

Also, a player for MPTM modules would be a tracker again, because you would have to have many setup options like VST-Plugin folders etc. which don't really have anything to do with a player. Also, do you really want to play MPTM modules with VST-Plugins in realtime in the background while browsing websites for example? I can imagine that many processors wouldn't even manage to do both at the same time and still stay at very low cpu load. Rather render your tracks to wav and convert them to flac / ogg.

uncloned

I do get it but I think you don't understand me

If you strip away editing what is left in ompt is the player engine. That is what I'm talking about and is foss.

Vst and vsti support is impossible.

But some people still use samples and at this time samples are the only way to use alternate tunings.  

I don't imagine anything but the tracker plays mptm files. But to my knowledge the tracker does not support playlists

I hope that was clearer

Saga Musix

If you feel like doing a player based on the OpenMPT engine (removing VST support is done with one simply #define), feel free to do so - the sources are there. However, I doubt that many people would use such a player - Or at least the coder would have to be very eager to support plugins, mp3, ogg, flac, whatever - I doubt that many people would use a player that has no plugin support. That doesn't mean that I anticipate the idea of creating a new player, but I know that it's tough work and that *I* won't do it.

uncloned

To be honest you sound frustrated.

I used to program ok but oop kinda blows my mind. Quick basic and assembler were my chosen languages.

I personally see no reason to support everything in a convenience player.

Saga Musix

If I'm frustrated about something, then it's about people beating a dead horse - There is simply no point in coding MPP in the way it has been there before.

uncloned

I agree

And do not suggest a swissarmy knife player.

Sam_Zen

This was an issue on the former forum as well.
Quote from: "uncloned"Did MPP support more formats than OMPT?
Yep, it does :

I still have associated my .MOD and .XM files with MPP, just for a simple listen.
And it's just fine like that. I don't see the need for further development.
I can even jump to OMPT if I want to edit, via the Details button.

uncloned

yes Sam.

It is true though that MPP does not support the new functions of the mptm format - nor will it ever.

and why do people think I am suggesting further development of MPP?

I have not suggested that.

Sam_Zen

I didn't think you were doing that.
You just mentioned the option to derive a player from a stripped OMPT.

Saga Musix

Yep, it does
Not it doesn't (as I've said multiple times before, the share the same codebase!). The only extra format would be "mol" - Which is a playlist format, so it is trivial. What would a playlist be use for in a tracker?

uncloned

to allow one to use the tracker as a player along the lines of MPP

if playlists were allowed in OMPT then a player version would not be needed because the tracker could do it all.