New modplug player??

Started by bully34, July 23, 2009, 02:56:17

Previous topic - Next topic

bully34

So, when are you guys going to release a new Modplug Player? You haven't released one since 2001. Just askin'  :wink:

Thanks!  :)
Visit my webpage: http://www.ctgmusic.com/bully34

&

Add me to MSN: [email]justin_tep@live.co[/email],

Saga Musix

Has nothing to do with OpenMPT development, so I move it to the general chatter.
Short answer: ModPlug Player is still closed source, so we can't do anything about it. Even if we got the code, I wouldn't want to continue working on it, rewriting it from scratch would be a better idea. BTW: A much better Mod Player which also handles SID tunes, MP3s, OGGs, and so on is XMPlay.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Why is MPP closed?!

Oliver never made it Open Source.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

Maybe noone asked him?

Nahkranoth

Why should someone ask him if there are much better players (the ugly as hell XMPlay and my precious Foobar :wink: ) that play almost everything, even such things like Playstation, Dreamcast, Nintendo64, Atari, SID, and almost every possible Adlib tunes!!!

Saga Musix

XMPlay has nice skins (like Neutron) and it has by far the best module reproduction.
And I'm pretty sure Olivier has been asked several times before.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Hm. I am just puzzled why he wouldn't release MPP as well %)
And, tbh, in my mind there is a stereotype that MPP plays mod files more accurately than any other player. Perhaps this stereotype is wrong. XMPlay uses BASS library.

Saga Musix

As MPP is based on libmodplug (and it's not even based on the same as the last closed-source MPT), it plays many modules wrong. OpenMPT's playback code is very accurate when it comes to IT playback, but especially XM compatibility is not perfect yet. XMPlay on the other hand is very accurate, just like anything that uses BASS. And it's still constantly being updated.

g

If my memory serves me correctly it was indeed asked and Olivier replied something along the lines of the code being pretty much the same. That probably doesn't make any sense (even tho I'm like 68% sure), but neither does making back-ups of forums up so that information isn't lost forever. Apparently ;)

Saga Musix

If you ever had a look at the MPT sourcecode, you'd see that great portions of the soundlib have parts that only compile when it would be used by modplug tracker and parts that would only be compiled when you would compile modplug player. The "only" difference is the GUI and the two modules mixer.

Louigi Verona

Thanks for the info, guys. You say that the IT playback is very accurate in MPP. Mostly I listened to IT files.

When you say XM playback is not accurate - what do you mean? What is the character of inaccuracies?

Saga Musix

No, IT playback is not accurate in MPP either - it is in OpenMPT.
Just look at this table, libmodplug is MPT 1.16 / MPP:
http://eval.sovietrussia.org/wiki/Player_abuse_tests
(Most of the stuff that's marked red in the OpenMPT column is fixed already...)

I know that FT2 has even more quirks than IT, so I can't really say what's playing wrong apart from the stuff that I've fixed. For example, Kxx has never been interpreted correctly until recently. Some FT2/MilkyTracker fanboy could show you many incompatibilites I'm sure, and that's mostly because MPT's focus is not on XM modules, I'd say.

Louigi Verona

Interesting reading! Very interesting.

Rakib

Quote from: "Jojo"No, IT playback is not accurate in MPP either - it is in OpenMPT.
Just look at this table, libmodplug is MPT 1.16 / MPP:
http://eval.sovietrussia.org/wiki/Player_abuse_tests
(Most of the stuff that's marked red in the OpenMPT column is fixed already...)

For reference, the above results were tested with:

* Schism Tracker Hg 2009-07-20
   * Chibi Tracker 1.3
   * OpenMPT 1.17.02.54
   * libmodplug 0.8.7 (Linux GStreamer plugin)
   * XMPlay 3.4
   * BASSMOD 2.0-Linux
   * DUMB 0.9.3
   * Open Cubic Player 0.1.16
   * MikMod 3.2.2-beta1
   * MikIT 1.00-Linux
   * XMP 2.7.1
   * FMOD Ex 4.24.07
^^