Compiling the Offline Help Manual

Started by Harbinger, June 27, 2009, 03:14:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

I'm going to start assembling the COMPLETE Help manual in an offline format (so that an internet connection is not required), using the few Wiki pages we have, and then going from my own experience. I will also be exploring the threads in these forums for info. Some of you may have already written your own tips that you've never been able to format into the Wiki or elsewhere. If you e-mail me what you have or provide a link if it's not in these forums or in Wiki, i will include your tips and how-to's in the manual.

I'm a pretty good technical instruction writer, and i'd like to make it easier for new users to dive right in. I use MPT exclusively and i'm not getting bored with composing, so i can maintain this manual continuously. I intend to submit sections to our esteemed devs to make sure the info is correct, but once verified, i will post the text here, and everyone can pitch in with corrections to the guide, or additional information that will help any MPT user in a particular subject. The guide will be image-rich!

I'll keep you aware in this thread of Offline Help Manual changes or developments, and you can make any comments here as we go. Please, no threadjacking!

Here's the proposed outline:

1. What is ModPlug Tracker?
    Function and Use
    History
2. System Setup
    System requirements
    Expandibility
    Portability
3. MIDI input/output setup
    Using an external MIDI keyboard
    MIDI output through VSTi's
4. Basics of tracking
    What is tracking?
    Difference between tracking and sequencing
5. Basics of ModPlug Tracker
    Overview of the tracking interface
    MPT features
6. General setup
    Audio setup
    Display setup
    Key entry Setup
    Channel Setup
    Other options
    Song-specific settings
7. Using Samples
    What are samples, and where do i get them?
    Can I alter the samples in MPT?
    Importing samples
    Sample attributes
    Assigning samples to instruments
8. Using Instruments
    The difference between samples and instruments
    How are instruments used in MPT?
    Importing instruments
    Instrument attributes
    Using VSTi's
9. All about Patterns
    What are patterns in MPT?
    Creating a pattern
    The Pattern display
    Using the Pattern Order box
    The Pattern Editor
      Entering data
      Navigating
      Playback
    Note events
    Instrument designation
    Note FX
    Channel FX
    All about macros (Zxx)
10.Saving modules
11.Exporting audio files
    Exporting with MPT
    .wav files
    .mp3 files
    Sharing files
12.MPT's formats
    .mod
    .s3m
    .xm
    .it
    .itp
    .mptm
    .mid
    Other readable formats
13.VSTs
    What are VST Effects?
    What are VST Instruments?
    Importing and applying VSTs
    VST problems and limitations with MPT
14.Tunings
    What are tunings and when do I need them?
    Creating tunings
    Applying tunings
    Tuning issues
15.Appendix A: FX commands
    .mod commands
    .s3m commands
    .xm commands
    .it commands
    .mptm commands
16.Appendix B: MIDI commands
17.Reference: Menus
    File
    Player
    Edit
    View
    Window
    Help
18.Reference: Dialogs
    General Setup
    Song Properties
    Plug-in Setup
    Channel Manager
    MIDI mapping
    Tuning Properties
    Amplify Options
    Macros Configuration
    Chord Editor
19.Reference: Tabs
    General
    Patterns
    Samples
    Instruments
    Comments
20.Known Issues

g

I hope you do not considering this threadjacking, but I think it would be a better idea to update the Wiki. In the Wiki there are options to print or export to HTML, PDF, RTF or XAR which I think covers the offline options (an offline guide could easliy be compiled from the Wiki).

Other than that, great initiative!

Rakib

No, a proper updated help file in offline format included with the installation files would be a great help for new MPT users and other who want a quick access to the help files.
^^

uncloned

I'd like off line help too - my music computer is not on the net

Harbinger

Quote from: "g"I hope you do not considering this threadjacking, but I think it would be a better idea to update the Wiki. In the Wiki there are options to print or export to HTML, PDF, RTF or XAR which I think covers the offline options (an offline guide could easliy be compiled from the Wiki).

Other than that, great initiative!

No, this isn't threadjacking. This has every bit to do with the subject at hand. 8)

Concerning the online issue, i'm not on the internet at home, which is my impetus for making this. I want new users to be able to use the help button if they're stuck, without having to be online.

Also, i do not  know the Wiki syntax (and i won't be trying to learn), so i won't be doing that. Once (or perhaps AS) everything is written up and posted, someone who can, can post it in the Wiki page, which can be used if an MPT user is online.

Saga Musix

I wonder what the offline help should look like if you're not even willing to learn the wiki syntax (which is very simple) - raw .TXT?
Actually, I'd prefer if there weren't so many documents at all, but rather one big (like the wiki) which can be exported into many formats - for example for offline reading.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

^^

Harbinger

Quote from: "Jojo"I wonder what the offline help should look like if you're not even willing to learn the wiki syntax (which is very simple) - raw .TXT?
Actually, I'd prefer if there weren't so many documents at all, but rather one big (like the wiki) which can be exported into many formats - for example for offline reading.

As i'm writing, i'll just use WORD format, as it's second nature to me. There will be lots of links (between chapters especially) and lots of images, which both WORD and our forum's BBCode can handle.

After that, if anyone wants to translate to HTML (which i'm asserting now, will NOT be me), i can make the original .doc or the original BBCode available to them for translation.

uncloned

Word can save as HTML - not sure how good the html is - but it is a possible route.

LPChip

The wiki also has a tutorial. You should add it to the manual. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

uncloned: Putting "HTML" and "Word" in the same sentence is just... wrong. Microsoft HTML generators tend to output the worst HTML that I've ever seen.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

Quote from: "Jojo"Putting "HTML" and "Word" in the same sentence is just... wrong.
:lol:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Quote from: "Jojo"uncloned: Putting "HTML" and "Word" in the same sentence is just... wrong. Microsoft HTML generators tend to output the worst HTML that I've ever seen.

but would it not be closer to the desired final product?

- what about open office - can it do html?

It can certainly import Word files with flying colors

Saga Musix

Not sure if OOo can do it (but if it can do it, the HTML would look much better with no doubt, because it wouldn't use proprietary M$ elements), but it can export to PDF at least, which is also nicht - but it's not as convenient for manuals because searching is more difficult and I don't think that you can call PDFs "dynamically" (with jumping to the correct chapter etc) from an external app like modplug.

uncloned

pdf - yes that is a good option. It preserves Harbinger's work and is a portable monolithic format.